Board logo

Here's one for you....
locoboy - 15/6/16 at 12:23 PM

I've got a Transporter T5 van, 2013 reg, 37K miles.

I have put some genuine VW (used) sportline alloy wheels and tyres on it, upgraded from 16 inch steels to 18 inch alloys.

I had the wheels refurbed and balanced before fitting.

Now when I drive I get a steering wheel wobble starting at 60mph.

initial thoughts was oh balls, they have bot been balanced properly, BUT realised that the vibration was only present when DRIVING, and not present when COASTING/FREEWHEELING!

I always thought that if a wheel was out of balance it would show it's self at a given speed regardless of driving or coasting?

I put 2 of my old steels on the front and the vibration has gone......

Could it be an out of balance wheel?

hizzi - 15/6/16 at 12:51 PM

swap front to back , maybe not balanced properly or the weights have come off. depending on the balancer used some will balance a weight issue but leave a buckle unnoticed. also check tyres are placed properly red dot opposite valve yellow dot at the valve

jacko - 15/6/16 at 06:56 PM

are the tyres directional and on the wrong side or bent wheel

locoboy - 15/6/16 at 08:24 PM

Well all sorted,

Took the two front wheels back to the refurb guys and they stripped the balancing weights off, re balanced it and it's all sorted now. Must have been poorly balanced.

Still puzzles me as to why a spinning object can not be out of balance when not under load (freewheeling) but out of balane when being powered (driven)

But anyway is't sorted :-)

prawnabie - 16/6/16 at 07:51 AM

Imbalance in wheels may have been causing something else to vibrate when not under load, put foot down and the slack in the driveline goes I guess