Board logo

LED driving lights off when indicating
harmchar - 23/6/16 at 09:19 PM

Why do some new cars have front LED driving lights that go out when indicator (same side) is being used? Mostly noticed on Seats but probably more do it. What's the thinking behind it?
Any theories?

cerbera - 23/6/16 at 10:16 PM

I've seen that too.
I guess as the LEDs are very bright they might may the indicator less noticeable.

morcus - 23/6/16 at 10:22 PM

When I firs this I thought the car had a broken light then realised what was going on. I think it was done because designers thought it looked good like indicators that pulse outwards on the back lights.

bi22le - 23/6/16 at 10:48 PM

My audi does it. They refer to it as indicator wink!

Is to make the inductor flash stand out. With VAGCOM you can adjust it from off, various brightness levels, to on.

I recon it had come in after accidents of people not seeing the inductors in round abouts. I know i find it difficult at times.

Ben_Copeland - 24/6/16 at 05:40 AM

It's because the LEDs are so bright you might not see an indicator flashing with them on.

CosKev3 - 24/6/16 at 05:41 AM

As above,because the DRL's are brighter than the indicators.

I think its a great idea,and should be standard on any car fitted with LED DRL's and non adjustable.

And IMO any car that has stupid aftermarket DRL's fitted where the light effects the indicator should fail the MOT/get a ticket off the plod

britishtrident - 24/6/16 at 02:18 PM

German car designers also Nissan have be trying very hard to make indicators invisible for years, the rear indicators on some Fords and VAG is tiny and often from indicators are hidden by the headlamps,

DJT - 24/6/16 at 03:39 PM

Yeah, think its the Passat, where the indicator is within a ring of brake/tail light. Apply the brakes and the indicator disappears. Nice one boys!

CosKev3 - 24/6/16 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJT
Yeah, think its the Passat, where the indicator is within a ring of brake/tail light. Apply the brakes and the indicator disappears. Nice one boys!

Same on range rovers

LBMEFM - 24/6/16 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by DJT

Same on range rovers

It's crazy, I agree, it appears that they are getting smaller. The question has to be why?

CosKev3 - 25/6/16 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by DJT

Same on range rovers

It's crazy, I agree, it appears that they are getting smaller. The question has to be why?

Perhaps they don't test light output/visibility of the ights with other lights on?

Is very dangerous and annoying

coyoteboy - 26/6/16 at 10:34 AM

I really like it, smart feature.

Does just show, though, that the likes of bike lights are totally swamped by modern car lights if the cars own lights need to be dimmed to let you see one right next to it.

I find the "turn aid" fog/driving light coming in with steering at slow speed super irritating though.