Board logo

Tool cabinet recommendation?
richard thomas - 12/9/18 at 05:37 PM

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been here....hope you can help....

I'm looking at getting a new tool cabinet/chest/combination thingy, my tools have outgrown my other boxes.....

I've been looking at the Clarke range, I've got a Halfrauds combo already which I can't really complain about but would like something wider.

Also looking at the SGS range, look not bad value - likewise US Pro Tools boxes........ I'd love a Snap On set up same as everyone else would but I'm not paying for the name however good the ball bearing roller drawers are.....

Anyone bought a new box recently, and any recommendations or warnings?

Thanks, Rich.

Edited - doesn't matter, just did a search on here and found a recent similar thread

[Edited on 12/9/18 by richard thomas]

owelly - 12/9/18 at 06:52 PM

I have Halfords Industrial and I really can't fault it. It's often in a sale of some sort and even cheaper with a trade card.

Andybarbet - 12/9/18 at 07:02 PM

Im not sure on the quality of the US PRO TOOLS stuff but they are doing some good deals at the moment on quite wide tool chests.

Might be worth a look.

Has anyone on here got one that can comment on build quality ?

jossey - 13/9/18 at 02:08 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with owelly. The halfords 3 piece set has been the best set I've ever had.

They go on offer again toward Xmas but a tradecard is easy to come by if you haven't got one message me and I'll explain how.

David

richard thomas - 13/9/18 at 07:09 AM

Nice one fellas......I'll probably go halfords again then.....I've got a trade card but noticed that if there's an offer on the use of the trade card makes the price higher on occasion.....

Still be interested to hear from anyone with an SGS box though.

nick205 - 13/9/18 at 08:33 AM

I was given a Snap-On top 4 drawer box some years ago. It's decent enough, but I'd not pay over the odss for it myself.

When I needed more tool storage I bought a 2nd hand Clarke 7 drawer wheeled roll-cab from eBay. Picked it up myself about 12 miles from home. It's more than adequate for my needs.

Both have ball bearing slides on the drawers and both have locks (althopugh I've lost the keys for the Clarke one).

If I needed to buy again I'd almost certainly consider Halfords and wait for a sale to come around to minimise the cost.

I also have a few other plastic tool/storage boxes for plumbing and electrical consumables (not tools). If I had more space I'd probably have more tools and therefore more tools storage. When I got a Clarke MIG welder I made myself a MIG welder trolley for the gas bottle and welder. With space available I'd love to make myself a decent sized flat steel topped welding table - space - space - space

iant88 - 13/9/18 at 09:18 AM

Still be interested to hear from anyone with an SGS box though.

We've bought a few SGS bits recently (trolley jack, ramps, engine stand) and a tool cabinet (the one with the opening worktop and 2 drawers). Its not had much stick but is of pretty good quality and doesn't look like it'll fall apart easily. I'd consider a tool cabinet from them but I agree the Halfrauds stuff is well worth a look.

JonBowden - 13/9/18 at 12:26 PM

I'd agree about Halfords professional. I have one that I got second hand.
I was going to buy a rolling bottom section but it seems that the range has been discontinued.
It has been replaced by the Advanced range (which looks very similar).
With luck they will offer a serious discount at Christmas again

tims31 - 13/9/18 at 12:43 PM

Another vote for the Halfords Pro range. Bought mine with a trade card and can't get much better for the price range. Ball bearing draws are worth paying the extra for rather than the basic range.

Bluemoon - 13/9/18 at 01:54 PM

wrt Halfords stuff go an take a look they seem to be changing their ranges, so your mileage may vary.. Have a professional one happy with it (top box, draws, and cab), not the best (steel is thin) but at discounted prices good value for money. Industrial was better but outside my price range...

trextr7monkey - 13/9/18 at 04:20 PM

Between work and home I have bought 3 sets of the Halfrauds black industrial cabinet/ middle/ top drawers sets and not had any problems with any. Cabinet strong enough to wheel a lathe about on, keep an eye on eBay there’s some one in the Midlands who seems to sell shop returns otherwise it is just waiting for the deal. Sometimes they do flash sales on line with healthy discounts
HTH
Mike

richard thomas - 13/9/18 at 05:57 PM

Halfords I think it probably is then....just wish they did a deeper/wider one.......

jacko - 13/9/18 at 06:06 PM

Look at homebase they have some very nice tool chests /boxes I was looking at them last weekend
Jacko

stevebubs - 14/9/18 at 10:09 AM

Halfords have just radically changed their ranges.... all the Pro/Industrial sets have been replaced by a new variety

Frustrating as I wanted to buy a second set of Industrial

If you want something wider, take a look in CostCo - they normally do a really nice wide cabinet...

stevebubs - 14/9/18 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Look at homebase they have some very nice tool chests /boxes I was looking at them last weekend
Jacko

I saw those in a bigger one near me - didn't go look but they looked rather solid.

hkp57 - 14/9/18 at 12:51 PM

I have bought now my third US Pro Tool cabinet, quality is great and never had a single issue.

I started with the 72" roller cabinet, then added a 42" drawers to site next to it then added a 42" tool chest to sit on top.

All are fantastic heavy duty stainless

[Edited on 14/9/18 by hkp57]

richard thomas - 14/9/18 at 08:26 PM

Any top tips on the US pro tool cabinets regards buying them.....direct or is there a better deal somewhere.....? I've had some of their Peli style wheeled boxes for work, (in fact I sold my proper Peli Boxes to buy them and came out with a profit can't fault those tbh...got them on Ebay but if there's a demon deal somewhere......?

Cheers, Rich.

[Edited on 14/9/18 by richard thomas]

hkp57 - 15/9/18 at 05:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Any top tips on the US pro tool cabinets regards buying them.....direct or is there a better deal somewhere.....? I've had some of their Peli style wheeled boxes for work, (in fact I sold my proper Peli Boxes to buy them and came out with a profit can't fault those tbh...got them on Ebay but if there's a demon deal somewhere......?

Cheers, Rich.

[Edited on 14/9/18 by richard thomas]

I got all mine from this guy on ebay and found him competitive 3- 4 years ago

o0AAOSwQ" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126-US-PRO-TOOLS-TOOL-CHEST-BOX-BENCH-ROLL-CABINET-STAINLESS-STEEL-72-CUPBOARD/252551756688?hash=item3acd41fb90:go0AAOSwQ YZWxOL9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127-US-PRO-TOOLS-ROLLER-CABINET-TOOL-CHEST-BOX-STAINLESS-STEEL-42-BUY-FINANCE/311199399346?hash=item4874edfdb2:g:XvcAAOSwUu FWxixN

PwAAOSwy" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Tools-Red-Tool-Chest-Cabinet-Box-Snap-Up-cabinet-toolbox-finance-option/310902665993?hash=item48633e3309:gPwAAOSwy QtVln3n

richard thomas - 15/9/18 at 08:04 AM

Nice one, I likes the look of those....