Board logo

Insurance switch over / overlap. What to do?
smart51 - 7/10/18 at 02:59 PM

I've spotted a tin top I like on eBay at a good price. I'm going to see it on Tuesday and bidding ends on Thursday. If I win it, I'll put my current car up for sale. It means I'll have two cars for a few weeks while I sell the old one.

Normally, you sell the old car then buy the new one and just swap the insurance over. I won't be able to do this. How can I insure 2 cars for (I hope) a short time and switch over the NCB?

CosKev3 - 7/10/18 at 03:23 PM

Speak to your insurance,some will give you a couple of weeks overlap FOC

Slimy38 - 7/10/18 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Speak to your insurance,some will give you a couple of weeks overlap FOC

Yep, quite common nowadays. We did it recently for my wife's car, they gave us a month overlap for free, and I think it was going to be £10 for another month (thankfully we managed to sell it on the 29th day of the first month!!). The car being sold is only covered for third party, and I think there's a mileage restriction, but it's perfect for test drives.

smart51 - 7/10/18 at 05:46 PM

Great, thanks. That sounds like the best option.

smart51 - 8/10/18 at 06:15 PM

My insurer, Privilage, want £28 for a week's overlap (as an example). The best price I've had for a stand along policy is £28 for 1 day. The difference in price between a private sale and We Want Any Car will all be swallowed up by insuring 2 cars, so I guess that's what I'll do.