Board logo

Caught speeding :( UPDATE
bi22le - 8/8/19 at 06:22 PM

I got offered a speed awareness course. Slightly in shock but greatful.

The alternative was £100 and 3 points so no salery related fine.

steve m - 8/8/19 at 06:34 PM

Do the coarse, its alright, infact I learnt stuff, but you do have to go into the place like your an Alcoholic going to the AA

Infact when I did mine, that's exactly what I did, as you have to stand up and say your name, so I stood up and said
Hi, im Steve, and im an alcoholic, and when the laughter stopped, said oops, that's tomorrows meeting

Im not sure what the cops/staff thought, but it made me laugh

steve

SJ - 8/8/19 at 06:46 PM

Like it Steve!

I got one a couple of years ago and did the course. Wasn't too bad and like Steve said had a few nougats of useful info.

paulf - 8/8/19 at 09:30 PM

When i did a speed awareness course the best laugh i had was about one of the women on the course.She gave her name in turn and then the course started and people were asked about the circumstances of why they were speeding.This woman said she was tired after work and overlooked here speed and drove past a speed camera in Leicester which is clear to see and known by everyone in the area.Later on someone else started talking about work and it turned out the woman was a police officer and even with there intensive driver training they make mistakes like the rest of us.

David Jenkins - 9/8/19 at 11:15 AM

You are expected to go into the course and participate - if you are indifferent and stand-offish while you're there then they could say that you didn't participate and you'll still end up with the fine and points. However, on my course there was a young-ish driver who clearly didn't care (spouting off about why speed limits are rubbish, etc.) and he still got through.

I was happy to get involved with the course - some was quite interesting and, as I was going to be there for an hour or two anyway, I decided that I might as well do it properly.

02GF74 - 9/8/19 at 05:10 PM

What does this course teach you that you don't already know

I doubt there is a single person on this forum that has not exceeded the speed limit.

David Jenkins - 9/8/19 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I doubt there is a single person on this forum that has not exceeded the speed limit.

What they do is feed you lots of statistics, videos of accidents, scenarios that cause accidents, etc.

You are absolutely right about everyone speeding now and again, but it's still illegal, no matter how you look at it. I believe that it's called an 'absolute offence' (might be wrong terminology) meaning that there is no excuse if you're caught. I got caught speeding, and it was entirely my own fault. Driving back from Devon, over the Severn Bridge into South Wales. The bit of road on the Welsh side of the bridge is 50mph - I knew it was 50mph, there were enormous signs telling me it was 50mph, my satnav was beeping because I was over-speed, but I carried on. Drove round a corner and saw the camera van... got nicked for 60mph.

The course tries to remind you of the consequences of speeding...

steve m - 9/8/19 at 06:13 PM

quote:

I do hope you have to attend one of these coarse's, and honestly tell us what you learnt from it, you must be a big man to admit that you know everything

I would bet money, that you will fail the coarse, if you were to do one on your own, as it really does show, and teach things, that we never knew

and ive done it twice, and still got caught out on the second one, as I was just going with the flow of traffic at 44 in a 30, as all of did, and all probably got done

steve

02GF74 - 9/8/19 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
quote:

I do hope you have to attend one of these coarse's, and honestly tell us what you learnt from it, you must be a big man to admit that you know everything

I would bet money, that you will fail the coarse, if you were to do one on your own, as it really does show, and teach things, that we never knew

and ive done it twice, and still got caught out on the second one, as I was just going with the flow of traffic at 44 in a 30, as all of did, and all probably got done

steve

Was that really necessary, you've certainly dropped in my esteem.

Where did I say I know everything

It's a fact that the faster you travel, the time to cover the same distance reduces meaning less time to react, there is more energy to dissipate if motion is interrupted by for example hitting a slower or stationary object and vehicles become harder to control eg tyre grip.

All of us here know that so what does the coarse add, I really like to know.

The coarse may make you aware of the consequences of speeding but in my opinion, there is a big difference in doing 90 mph on a motorway on a dry day with very little trafiic compared to driving at 60 mph on the same stretch of road at night when it is raining heavily?

So whatever new stuff the coarse teaches, does that result in the attendees never speeding again.

I don't think it does, as you have demonstrated above.

David Jenkins - 10/8/19 at 09:34 AM

Not trying to extend this argument, but I did learn something new on my course - nothing to do with speeding, more to do with positioning when turning right off a main road (they do general road safety as well as speeding).

When turning right and waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, most people come to a halt with their wheels turned to the right in readiness - and if someone drives into the back of you your car gets pushed into a car coming in the opposite direction (they showed some graphic pictures). Now, in similar situations, I always leave my wheels in the straight-ahead position until I'm actually turning.

There were a couple of other hints and tips that I've taken on board...

pewe - 10/8/19 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

When turning right and waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, most people come to a halt with their wheels turned to the right in readiness - and if someone drives into the back of you your car gets pushed into a car coming in the opposite direction (they showed some graphic pictures). Now, in similar situations, I always leave my wheels in the straight-ahead position until I'm actually turning.

Like that one David - you live and learn...
My favourite for less experienced drivers is when approaching a car coming out of a side road watch their wheels - if moving be ready for them coming out in front of you.
I think having ridden bikes for years you learn to anticipate the actions of other road users... so far so good!
Cheers, Pewe10

stevebubs - 10/8/19 at 02:14 PM

I did one a good few years ago.

Out of the 20/30 people in the room, including a number of 'professional' drivers, only 2 people know the rules around the national speed limit; when it was 60 vs 70, etc...

David Jenkins - 10/8/19 at 03:07 PM

I had that conversation a few years ago with my mother-in-law... driving down a long, straight country road at 60mph when she told me that I shouldn't be speeding... I then had to convince her that I wasn't. I'm not sure she believed me.

pewe - 10/8/19 at 04:32 PM

That's the problem with M-in-Laws - always fricking right and you're guilty until proven innocent!!

Alfa145 - 11/8/19 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
I did one a good few years ago.

Out of the 20/30 people in the room, including a number of 'professional' drivers, only 2 people know the rules around the national speed limit; when it was 60 vs 70, etc...

First task on my speed awareness course was for everyone to draw a stop sign and a give way sign. Of 20 people only 2 of us got both right.

And the gobby truck driver at the back got told to tow the line and participate or leave and take the 3 points, his choice. Soon shut him up.

02GF74 - 14/8/19 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not trying to extend this argument, but I did learn something new on my course - nothing to do with speeding, ...

Who want's to argue about this? I thought I was asking a pretty innocuous question and get insults, yet still waiting to see some snippet about speeding I don't know.

As for wheel position to turn right at junctions, I'm not sure if I do that subconsciously or not; ofcourse now I will never know as either I will forget to notice or else I will remember the tip so position accordingly.