Board logo

Anyone here built an Ultima GTR?
nick205 - 19/5/21 at 09:30 AM

Morning all,

Not intending to build one myself.

Just wondered if anyone on here has built or been involved in building an Ultima GTR?

I think we all know that car building can be a costly and labourious game so interested to know how the Ultima stands against 7 type kits.

Thanks,
Nick

Charlie_Zetec - 19/5/21 at 12:13 PM

Not to get your hopes up as I've never built one, but they're definitely on my radar. They look like an awesome piece of machinery, and believe they still hold the record of fastest 0-100-0mph ??

I know they launched a new/facelift set of models a couple of years back, and changed from the older 5.7L Chevy blocks to newer GM LS motors with power outputs of something like 600/800/1,000bhp (latter using something like a supercharged 8L V8 from memory) through a Porsche transaxle.

Seen a couple of them at shows, but never the owners to chat with. Last time I checked, think the kits started about £60k for a home-build with all components and engines, but without any upgrades (which we all know happens)....

Definitely on my 'lottery purchase" radar, but don't know if they'll scratch the itch that the price tag determines.

David Jenkins - 19/5/21 at 12:14 PM

Not built one myself, but I have seen quite a few YouTube videos about it.

The kit seems to be of very high quality, as you'd expect considering the price. Builders seem to invest a lot of time and money in building, again due to the cost of the kit - if you're paying that much up-front, they want to do a decent job. Last time I looked (way back) the kit was around £35K, and builders seem to put big expensive engines and gearboxes in them, along with great big expensive wheels and tyres. I don't suppose you get much change from £50K - £60K as a minimum - I'm sure some builders pay a lot more!

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Morning all,

Not intending to build one myself.

Just wondered if anyone on here has built or been involved in building an Ultima GTR?

I think we all know that car building can be a costly and labourious game so interested to know how the Ultima stands against 7 type kits.

Thanks,
Nick

nick205 - 19/5/21 at 03:30 PM

Thank you chaps - certainly seen the rices and agree it would be a lottery win type purchase!

I too have seen a few at shows. Spoke to an owner once, but he'd bought his as a factory build. He was somewhat unwilling to even talk about his car really - a shame really.

Simon - 19/5/21 at 05:17 PM

Tesla based Ultima anyone

perksy - 19/5/21 at 09:31 PM

Spoke to a couple of chaps that had built them and they advised air con was a must as the cabin gets pretty hot
They spoke highly of the quality of the bodywork and of the kit in general and the back-up from the factory
Apparently some builders get the factory to mount the body as it can be a little tricky?

Be nice to build one following a lottery win

nick205 - 20/5/21 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Tesla based Ultima anyone

An EV Ultima does sound interesting, but the howl of a petrol engine still has it for me with a car like that I'm afraid.

James - 21/5/21 at 11:16 AM

I've never understood how they've not made it onto Top Gear*.

Too niche?

*Yes, I know Ultima themselves got the car onto the TG track.

rj - 21/5/21 at 04:54 PM

It would also be my lottery win project, one to keep me busy, and secondly the satisfaction of saying "I built it" Any rich person /drug dealer can buy a Lambo, but could they build a kit car, I think not !
The last Ultima i saw was just parked in a car park at Elsecar near Barnsley one weekend

nick205 - 15/6/21 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
I've never understood how they've not made it onto Top Gear*.

Too niche?

*Yes, I know Ultima themselves got the car onto the TG track.

I think Top Gear have a "production car only" rule for their lap times. Although you can buy a factory built Ultima I don't think it meets Top Gears production car criteria.

When you watch Ultima themselves taking it round the TG track it does look stunningly fast (as the lap time confirms).

Minicooper - 15/6/21 at 11:55 AM

Here is an interesting build, last time I looked I think he was close to $170,000, so the kit price is somewhat different to what he calls a restrained build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rt3kl91JAc

Cheers
David

Mr Whippy - 15/6/21 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Here is an interesting build, last time I looked I think he was close to $170,000, so the kit price is somewhat different to what he calls a restrained build

Cheers
David

All that cash and then some Tesla goes flying past...

Minicooper - 15/6/21 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

Cheers
David

All that cash and then some Tesla goes flying past...

Tesla's maybe quick but this particular Ultima is very powerful and probably even quicker than most Tesla's and certainly better looking

David