Board logo

TFL charge
Benzine - 11/3/22 at 06:36 PM

My girlfriend's just got a letter from TFL about non payment of ULEZ charge. I googled it and found a few examples from this year, with people suggesting to report it and get a crime number. Good idea, will do right away.

In those cases the cars were the same make and colour. In our case my girlfriend has a grey fiat 500 and they've stuck cloned plates on a white BMW estate. Not the sharpest tools in the box?

cliftyhanger - 11/3/22 at 07:18 PM

Be gratefukl they have used a significantly different car. That is crystal clear.
It can be a nightmare, I know somebody whose son went through hell. Several poice forces, DART, TFL etc. Eventually teh cloned car crashed and driver nicked, but despite that, it still took a lot of time/effort to clear it up.

Benzine - 11/3/22 at 07:26 PM

Yeah agreed there, very grateful about that

gremlin1234 - 12/3/22 at 02:59 PM

I thought all modern fiat 500's met the emissions limits for ulez, and the original ones exempt since they are classic.
so I guess it may be the central london congestion charge?

Benzine - 12/3/22 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I thought all modern fiat 500's met the emissions limits for ulez, and the original ones exempt since they are classic.
so I guess it may be the central london congestion charge?

Yep you're right, I must have scan read it too quickly!

coyoteboy - 16/3/22 at 01:06 PM

Seems to me that because reg numbers are easily forged and cloned, they cannot possibly be considered sufficient evidence for a charging/fee collection process. I can literally walk outside and swap my plates for a home-made one and make their evidence invalid. An equivalent situation would be charging someone with a crime because they had the same colour clothes - it must fall apart under any sort of legal questioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cloning cars. Or skipping the charges. I just think it's based on nonsense. However the alternative would be an encrypted radio transmission of some sort emitted from all vehicles - which doesn't seem very likely.

gremlin1234 - 16/3/22 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Seems to me that because reg numbers are easily forged and cloned, they cannot possibly be considered sufficient evidence for a charging/fee collection process. I can literally walk outside and swap my plates for a home-made one and make their evidence invalid. An equivalent situation would be charging someone with a crime because they had the same colour clothes - it must fall apart under any sort of legal questioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cloning cars. Or skipping the charges. I just think it's based on nonsense. However the alternative would be an encrypted radio transmission of some sort emitted from all vehicles - which doesn't seem very likely.

I agree, just using the displayed reg number as an identifier is very poor.
it is also why its common for vehicles on transporters to have part of the number obscured, - so just the transporters plate is readable.
I think the dartford bridge did previously used transponders in cars for regular customers, but now just user number plates.

from a techie point of view, they could check with other databases to see if any reg number has been seen in more than one area at the same time. [but that's a bit 'big brother' tech...]

coyoteboy - 16/3/22 at 05:45 PM

Yeah I mean you'd have to have a complete coverage national network of ANPR - some peoples cars never leave a sleepy scottish town so there would be no opposing evidence to say they were elsewhere