Board logo

TFL LEZ/ULEZ question
steve m - 16/3/22 at 02:12 PM

It must be me, but i am very confused with the rules,

From what ive read, my 16 plate Petrol Mondeo, is Euro6, do i have to pay the 15 quid for entering an LEZ zone?

As i as of next week, will be going to The Royal Marsden in Sutton, which is just inside the LEZ, and dont really want a £500 fine !

steve

Simon - 16/3/22 at 02:48 PM

I think the LEZ is for commercials over certain weight so won't apply whereas the ULEZ is for the rest of us. If your vehicle is euro 6 then you shouldn't have to pay.
You might be liable for congestion charge if inside north/South circular.

Hope all goes well at the Marsden - no idea what's wrong, but I have been to the Marsden frequently, so fingers crossed

gremlin1234 - 16/3/22 at 03:29 PM

as said above the LEZ area (just about the whole of greater London) is not applicable to cars

also:
a euro6 car will be fine with the ulez area [within the north/south circular].
but
you would need to pay the central London congestion charge.** if entering the central area. (Barts, UCLH etc)

you can check by entering you car reg at
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

** for congestion charge, if you have a 'blue badge' (disabled) you can register with tfl, and pay a one off fee of £10. you can then cite two car registrations - and you can change them as required.

hope that helps.

[Edited on 16/3/22 by gremlin1234]

steve m - 16/3/22 at 04:10 PM

Thanks guys, makes more sense now

nick205 - 17/3/22 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
as said above the LEZ area (just about the whole of greater London) is not applicable to cars

also:
a euro6 car will be fine with the ulez area [within the north/south circular].
but
you would need to pay the central London congestion charge.** if entering the central area. (Barts, UCLH etc)

you can check by entering you car reg at
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

** for congestion charge, if you have a 'blue badge' (disabled) you can register with tfl, and pay a one off fee of £10. you can then cite two car registrations - and you can change them as required.

hope that helps.

[Edited on 16/3/22 by gremlin1234]

Thank you - useful link to be able to check a vehicle before you set off and know where you stand with charges.

mcerd1 - 17/3/22 at 02:14 PM

One thing - I though that ULEZ in London was the same as up here - so that Diesel cars needed to be Euro6 but petrol's only need to be Euro4 ?

using the checker in the link above seems to confirm this...

even for my scabby old c-max (2007 Euro4) I get this result: Congestion charge rates followed by "You do not need to pay for any other charging zones"

gremlin1234 - 17/3/22 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
One thing - I though that ULEZ in London was the same as up here - so that Diesel cars needed to be Euro6 but petrol's only need to be Euro4 ?

yes that is correct, euro 4 petrol cars already met the 0.08 nox emissions,
whereas the diesel euro 4 was as high as 0.25.