Board logo

Testing the waters, possible sale of MK indy
Benzine - 21/3/22 at 09:58 AM

Putting the feelers out there for a potential sale of my MK. I'd planned on keeping this for a long time, eventually converting to electric etc. It's got a 1.9 turbo diesel engine. I understand that this will limit the market somewhat. Because I never thought I'd be selling I didn't have resale on my mind at all.

As it's quite niche I'm unsure whether to sell it with fresh MOT as it is, or sell with MOT and offer that I could keep the engine and gearbox so it's basically a fully registered and MOT'd blank canvas project for someone? I could even drive it to the new buyer and take the engine out.

It's a 2006, no previous owners.
Less than 10k miles. I'll check when I'm next at workshop but think it's around 6 or 7k.
3.62 Lsd.
Xud9te engine
R380 gearbox
New driveshafts.
New disc brakes and pads all round, and calipers just refurbished by Bigg Red.
Digidash.
Wishbones stripped and repainted with new stainless crush tubes and bolts.
Bonnet scoop is for top mount intercooler
Cobra 7 seats
Cheap, readily available engine parts, easy to tune and will run on straight veg oil. (Big bonus at the moment!)
No ECU to mess about with.

Just after some opinions of what it might be worth with/without MOT, and with/without engine. Thanks

big_wasa - 21/3/22 at 01:17 PM

The market will decide.

The market has really boomed over the last two years and with every boom comes a crash.
My advice would be stick an mot on it and decide on a price you can live with. If it’s still in your garage in two to three weeks then your going to have to rethink how you sell it or the price.

Having also decided I am done with kitcars for the time being this Is what I intend to do. I just need to get it mot’d and get on with it.

nick205 - 21/3/22 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The market will decide.

The market has really boomed over the last two years and with every boom comes a crash.
My advice would be stick an mot on it and decide on a price you can live with. If it’s still in your garage in two to three weeks then your going to have to rethink how you sell it or the price.

Having also decided I am done with kitcars for the time being this Is what I intend to do. I just need to get it mot’d and get on with it.

Seems a reasonable approach to me.

Get it MOT'd to give buyers some confidence.

Advertise at a price with room for negotiation.

Benzine - 21/3/22 at 03:06 PM

Seems like a good approach, thanks. I suppose another question is where is good to advertise these days? Here, FB groups?

nick205 - 21/3/22 at 03:29 PM

I advertised and sold my MK Indy on here in 2009. This site was busier back then, which certainly helped. Most other places take a chunk of money from you either to advertise, from the sale price (or both). For me I wanted to avoid that sort of cost.

Another option may be car shows local to you where you can take your car in and are allowed to have a for sale sign on it. Right kind of audience and you'll get to see other cars for the day. Some shows even let you in for free if you turn up in a car that's allowed in.

big_wasa - 21/3/22 at 06:08 PM

I am not a huge fan of Fb but I would start there and resort to an eBay add if needs be.

perksy - 21/3/22 at 10:38 PM

On here, Car and Classic and Pistonheads (All online and all free) to start with..

I've used Gumtree previously but got some right stars contacting me

[Edited on 21/3/22 by perksy]

Jeano - 22/3/22 at 07:40 AM

as someone currently in the market for an MK (final stages of buying one now). I would recommend on here, Facebook groups like the below, local kit car clubs like SKCC, MK Sportscars will list cars on there website for free i believe also.

If someone is in the market they will find you and the car. Pistonheads /Autotrader isnt that good for kit cars i find, nothing on there when i looked tbh. Ebay is another option.

Stricktly Kit Car
MK Indy Marketplace
The Original MK Indy Owners Group
Kit Cars And Parts For Sale/Wanted UK