Board logo

Stoneleigh this weekend
adithorp - 24/8/21 at 09:49 AM

With Stoneleigh show on this weekend, who's planning to go.

I'm sure the late arrangement, summer holidays, other events, etc will have an impact. For those reasons, JPSC will have some form of presence but not to our usual level... and possibly not our usual spot under the phone tower (though we'll try even if the organisers put us somewhere else).

I'll be there Saturday through to Sunday (outside chance of Fri night).

James - 24/8/21 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
under the phone tower (though we'll try even if the organisers put us somewhere else).

The microwaves keep you warm and save you taking a sleeping bag right?

adithorp - 24/8/21 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
under the phone tower (though we'll try even if the organisers put us somewhere else).

The microwaves keep you warm and save you taking a sleeping bag right?

On the usual show dates it's necessary.

Oddified - 24/8/21 at 08:06 PM

I'm planning on going down Friday, to look round the show Saturday. Normally end up buying something i had no idea i needed lol

I'll keep an eye out for you

ReMan - 24/8/21 at 08:11 PM

I'm planning to go.....

So like I usually do I set myself a stretch target of removing my centre prop reverse box and replacing it with the original single pice/centre bearing prop.
Which I started on Sunday, and did bit more tonight
And snapped the torx key inside one (the last) of the diff flange bolts
To say I'm pissed is an understatement

So I may be getting the bus at this rate

Paul M - 24/8/21 at 09:25 PM

i'll be there on Sunday, minus the Stylus, as the newly rebuilt back axle decided to leak half its oil out on the MOT lane last Friday

wonderfulweasel - 25/8/21 at 06:37 AM

I’ll be there on Saturday.

Also not in the Stylus. It’s not quite finished yet.

yogibear1969 - 25/8/21 at 10:55 AM

HI,
A little update.
We have a map of the site...which we are not on as they didn't ask us if we were going (long story), we are now booked on but not told us where they are going to put us. As the area to the East/Right? of HS2 has now been sold everyone is everywhere!
However, as far as Adi and I can tell, the little pitch infront of the mast appears to be empty, so all being will we will be on there but won't know until someone gets there....
More when I have it, many thanks to Adi Thorp for 'taking ownership'?
Edd.

pigeondave - 25/8/21 at 11:14 AM

I'll turn up on Saturday.
No Fury because I'm me

What's the deal is it masks in the halls, do we need them?

adithorp - 25/8/21 at 11:45 AM

Don't know Dave, though I suspect it'll be like supermarkets and up to you. Personally I'll carry one anyway and use when somewhere busy/ limited space.

MikeR - 25/8/21 at 03:14 PM

I'm planning on going for the first time in many years. Probably Saturday, but possibly Sunday

JC - 26/8/21 at 06:27 AM

I will hopefully be going in my McSorley - last time I went someone on here had a club stand that was open to all Locostbuilders. Can anyone remember who….

40inches - 26/8/21 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
I will hopefully be going in my McSorley - last time I went someone on here had a club stand that was open to all Locostbuilders. Can anyone remember who….

It was the Rawcus pitch, we parked next to you in the Yellow/black MK, no sign of it being there this year

Oddified - 26/8/21 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JC

A few years ago and I put my Metro on the stand as well, i think it was organised by Ian but not seen anything this year;- ian locostzx9rc2 Contributor

yogibear1969 - 26/8/21 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by JC

It was the Rawcus pitch, we parked next to you in the Yellow/black MK, no sign of it being there this year

Everyone's welcome on the JPSC pitch...wherever that ends up..we are not exclusive/inclusive?

Edd

adithorp - 26/8/21 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yogibear1969
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JC

Everyone's welcome on the JPSC pitch...wherever that ends up..we are not exclusive/inclusive?

Edd

What Edd says. There's been some changes because of the HS2 work so a lot of pitches have been lost and clubs moved. We were 100m from the Rawcus one under the phone mast but might have moved (I'll post something Friday Eve). If we have just look for my orange Fury.

yogibear1969 - 26/8/21 at 01:25 PM

HI,
Grosvener have said today they will put us somewhere near the mast....I guess we'll have to wait and see till Adi arrives!
Cheers,
Edd

JC - 27/8/21 at 06:56 AM

Thanks so much!

I’ll see you all there on Sunday then!

Here’s all!

40inches - 27/8/21 at 01:31 PM

I should be there Sunday

Oddified - 27/8/21 at 03:01 PM

No one parked/camping under the phone tower at the moment

pigeondave - 27/8/21 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
No one parked/camping under the phone tower at the moment

@Adi best get a wiggle on!!

Sanzomat - 27/8/21 at 07:06 PM

I'll be there Saturday in the GTM. I'll be parking up on the Kitnet.uk stand. One of the kitnet guys is already there setting up and the stand is apparently huge so if anyone can't fit elsewhere then I expect you can come onto the kitnet area. Very friendly bunch with no heirs and graces and no oneupmanship.

It is the first stand on the left as you enter from the kit car gate.

I'll be splitting my time between kitnet and GTM owners club but I guess I'll pop along to the phone mast too since I became locost owner too! (not JPSC though)

PS, if anyone is driving up from the SW saturday morning there is a bit of a convoy. Leaving Cross Hands, Old Sodbury (near M4 J18) at 08:15, on to meet some more guys at Cirencester services where the Fosse Way crosses the A419 at 09:00 then onwards up the Fosse Way. Anyone welcome to tag along.

adithorp - 27/8/21 at 07:58 PM

I found the "new" pitch and settled in there. From the mast head towards the kit entrance and its 200m on the right. So coming in turn right at kit entrance, follow the green wall/fence and we're on the left. Just look for my Fury.

If you've got what3words app it's ///solar.allow.piper

[Edited on 27/8/21 by adithorp]

jester - 27/8/21 at 11:34 PM

Look to be there Saturday/Today. With family members

big_wasa - 28/8/21 at 04:20 PM

So, Any feed back on the show today ?

Shandylegs - 28/8/21 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
So, Any feed back on the show today ?

Just on my way back. There was actually a fairly good turn out of cars, but only a few manufacturers/traders were there (perhaps understandably).

MikeR - 28/8/21 at 06:06 PM

I've not been in years. When I last went it was two halls plus a full cow shed and cars being sold in another shed.

It's not that.

One hall. A number of Cobras. Some other interesting vehicles like an early Aston Martin, early jaguar, some stratos, electric car conversion, early maclaren road car (I liked that, very 70s). Plenty of space between stands.

I took the opportunity to buy a surprising amount of bits - partly to support people but everything was wanted and a decent price.

Wandered around the cars outside and couldn't find the locost/luegos etc

Reality is it's smaller than it used to be by a lot. I expected that as it's looked at the exhibitor list prior to going. I only l like 30 minutes away so wasn't disappointed.

I did talk to a stall holder who said the fire in Leamington yesterday (large plastics factory, near the town centre, poisonous smoke etc) caused chaos as the police closed lots and hotels refused people booked in. His air BnB was cancelled. He think that affected things today.

MikeR - 28/8/21 at 06:06 PM

Should add I turned up after lunch, probably about 1pm.

big_wasa - 28/8/21 at 08:13 PM

Wow only two on here have been today and looked on here and replied.

Thanks for the reply’s. I hope to get there tomorrow for a look.

adithorp - 28/8/21 at 08:28 PM

Been a good day. Nice weather and met up with a few folks I haven't seen for a while.

Given the late and busy calender date and short notice, I was surprised by the turn out of owners. The rearrangement of club pitches probably compressed them into a smaller area andade it look better. There's no clubs in the area on the right between the kit car entrance and the Westfield slalom. Most have moved into the show ring area that until the last show hasn't been used (appart from the beach buggies).

Inside is down to one hall (the back one) and not packed. Still some interesting stuff amongst the old if you look for it.

ReMan - 28/8/21 at 11:03 PM

If the MK passes its post propshaft shakedown in the morning I'm going

wonderfulweasel - 29/8/21 at 06:47 PM

I went on Saturday. Like Mike, I thought the hall was very quiet (I think traders and companies were worried there wouldn’t be much of a turnout and limited sales from speaking to a couple that were there). Outdoors seemed quite busy to me and a good attendance of cars. I never went back in the good old days, but did go a couple of years back.

Some of the club stands were a bit of a walk away and hidden from the main areas, but did manage to get them eventually. I don’t know if a site plan was available, but it would have helped me!

I had a nice chat with the owner of the very tidy Stylus on the Siltech stand. But wasn’t able to purchase any of the couple of bits that I’d hoped to, as they weren’t there.

ReMan - 30/8/21 at 07:43 AM

Got the MK fixed and went on Sunday
TBH I'd be surprised if the organiser breaks even

The level of interest/discussion on here reflects the lack of attendance
Being in mind too that this is usually "international" and attracts many European attendees

For me it was OK, we only live 30 minutes away, so a free small show and a gander was good enough in the circumstances

big_wasa - 30/8/21 at 08:20 AM

Well I went Sunday. I had a wonder about. A chat with a few old faces and a few new. I enjoyed getting out, I enjoyed driving into the show in convoy.
At least it stayed dry and the kit was as good as gold.
Would I drive the 220 mile ( inc a detour ) round trip in a kit next year for what there was this year, not sure. But I would give Newark another go being much nearer.

I also would not take the family in a tin top. A family of four at the on the gate price for what there was I would have been extremely peeved. And they would have been bored to tears after an hour.

There was one part I wanted and I couldn’t find one.

[Edited on 30/8/21 by big_wasa]

adithorp - 30/8/21 at 09:01 AM

To be fair there was more cars (and people) there on Saturday.

I spoke to one of the exibitops and they got the date for the show 2 months ago but definate confirmation it was going ahead only a few weeks ago. A lot would already have other events planned by then or simply can't commit to it that late.

Even though the JPSC didn't have our usual setup (folks having prior plans) I still managed to spend most of Sat catching up with people I hadn't seen since C19 started. Catching up with people is more what I go for than the cars and exhibits to be honest. I planned to pack up and leave earlyish Sunday but was slightly delayed by waiting for the condensation in the tent to dry out. All packed by 11.30 but still didn't get away until 2pm.

adithorp - 30/8/21 at 09:18 AM

...and for those who wondered how the dog reacted to riding in the Fury; she got really excited...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/159643633@N02/Ncc8y0

40inches - 30/8/21 at 10:10 AM

Went on the Sunday, parked on the JPSC plot, it was good to meet you Adi.
Actually thought the show was OK. We spent around 3 hours looking round, it was worth the 4 hour round trip and hopefully will be going next year. Although, £9 for 2 small Latte and 2 bags of crisps

adithorp - 30/8/21 at 11:33 AM

Good to meet you to. Sorry I didn't get time to discuss your engine much after you took the bonnet of for me. Everyone turned up at once, but it looked very good.

Nile_rt - 30/8/21 at 04:41 PM

Although it was the smallest I've ever seen it, it was a good show for me as it was the 1st one I've been to with a kit car. Good to meet new people and I hope to do more with my car now it's finally (re)built. I had the Stylus on the Siltech racing stand on Saturday.

Paul M - 30/8/21 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nile_rt
Although it was the smallest I've ever seen it, it was a good show for me as it was the 1st one I've been to with a kit car. Good to meet new people and I hope to do more with my car now it's finally (re)built. I had the Stylus on the Siltech racing stand on Saturday.

Hi Nile - what are Siltechs Plans for the kit ? no-ones heard anything from them in the 3 years since they took over ?

jester - 30/8/21 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Got the MK fixed and went on Sunday
TBH I'd be surprised if the organiser breaks even

The level of interest/discussion on here reflects the lack of attendance
Being in mind too that this is usually "international" and attracts many European attendees

For me it was OK, we only live 30 minutes away, so a free small show and a gander was good enough in the circumstances

Free show ????

I went with my family on Sat we pre booked the ticket's online So only paid £10.00 each good deal

Nothing about being free

Have been for years was definitely smaller as others have said all ready
No surprise because of Covid-19
The outside club areas were split up to much. With loads of grass area's left empty the worst was one was a Red/Orange 4x4 ??? May have been rear wheel drive on it's own with some one sat down on the same pitch right on the other side of the same pitch very odd that was a lot of walking for some of my family. We just turned around after that & went back down to the hall 2 area.

Looking forward to a normal May 2022

40inches - 31/8/21 at 07:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jester

Free show ????

I went with my family on Sat we pre booked the ticket's online So only paid £10.00 each good deal

Nothing about being free

The driver in a kit Car gets in free

ReMan - 31/8/21 at 08:38 AM

Yes it was and always has been “free” for the kit car and driver.

Nile_rt - 31/8/21 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul M
quote:

Hi Nile - what are Siltechs Plans for the kit ? no-ones heard anything from them in the 3 years since they took over ?

Hi Paul. They are planning on having their own demonstrator at next year's show. They have re-engineered the front suspension and working on the rear now. Unfortunately their bread and butter work (which pays the bills) of modifying and repairing westfields has got in the way of Stylus development and building.

rdodger - 31/8/21 at 08:53 AM

Can we assume they are fitting their front and rear micro adjustable suspension to the Stylus?

adithorp - 31/8/21 at 12:46 PM

Niles car already has the front suspension done.

Nile_rt - 31/8/21 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Can we assume they are fitting their front and rear micro adjustable suspension to the Stylus?

Yeah they are. Will be double wishbone at the rear too, I don't think they want to do different variants for de-dion or live axle . As Adi said, I already have the new front suspension and it saves so much weight compares to the old stuff.

rdodger - 31/8/21 at 01:58 PM

Their stuff does look good, I always have to have a look when I go to Stoneleigh

It will be interesting to see the car at Stoneleigh next year. I might be ready for a new build by then :-)

jester - 31/8/21 at 03:46 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jester

Free show ????

Nothing about being free

The driver in a kit Car gets in free

jester - 31/8/21 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Yes it was and always has been “free” for the kit car and driver.

Best get one of my jesters finished for next year then

Schrodinger - 31/8/21 at 03:52 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger

Yeah they are. Will be double wishbone at the rear too, I don't think they want to do different variants for de-dion or live axle . As Adi said, I already have the new front suspension and it saves so much weight compares to the old stuff.

Have you got any pics of your suspension as I have been toying with having my Stylus done as well.

stevebubs - 31/8/21 at 10:48 PM

quote:
To be fair there was more cars (and people) there on Saturday.

I spoke to one of the exibitops and they got the date for the show 2 months ago but definate confirmation it was going ahead only a few weeks ago. A lot would already have other events planned by then or simply can't commit to it that late.

Even though the JPSC didn't have our usual setup (folks having prior plans) I still managed to spend most of Sat catching up with people I hadn't seen since C19 started. Catching up with people is more what I go for than the cars and exhibits to be honest. I planned to pack up and leave earlyish Sunday but was slightly delayed by waiting for the condensation in the tent to dry out. All packed by 11.30 but still didn't get away until 2pm.

I didn't find out it was happening until 2 weeks ago. Plans already made by then for the weekend...unfortunately doesn't sound like I missed much