Board logo

My many other projects
TK-41774 - 27/4/21 at 01:05 PM

Hi guys!

Wanted to introduce myself and show off some of my other projects

My name is Dave I live in Teesside, and work as a HGV driver. I am starting to build a Haynes but have to rebuild my garage first, so whilst I do that here is some of my other projects.

I have been accused of being a bit of a star wars nut (by my family) as I regularly can be found dressed in white plastic collecting for charity, as a member of the 501st legion, The UK Garrison, and my local North east legion. Part of that hobby teaches that the smallest details are important,

But me being me I have to be building something so I am building a fully working R2-D2

And an E-11 Stormtrooper blaster with loads of lights and beeps

James - 27/4/21 at 05:29 PM

Aren't you a little 'short' for a Stormtrooper?

Looks like lots of fun. Do you play the West End Games RPG at all?

Used to be a massive Star Wars fan myself, watching at least 1 of the original trilogy a week, with several RPG sessions, read all the books. Turned a lightsaber on the lathes at school.

Massive.

Right up until The Phantom Menace happened!

The day that film came out was the day Star Wars died for me. I think I dragged myself to the cinema to see Ep 2&3 as well but they werent much of an improvement over TPM.

Saw Ep7 at the cinema but haven't even seen the rest of them on TV. It totally put me off the whole thing and I don't think I've even seen the originals since.

I'm still a big fan of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books- particularly the Heir to the Empire trilogy. Was saddened to hear of the de-canoning of all of that.

It they'd just made Hear to the Empire 1-3 as episode 7-9 I'd have been happy!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 27/4/21 by James]

TK-41774 - 27/4/21 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Aren't you a little 'short' for a Stormtrooper?

Looks like lots of fun. Do you play the West End Games RPG at all?

Used to be a massive Star Wars fan myself, watching at least 1 of the original trilogy a week, with several RPG sessions, read all the books. Turned a lightsaber on the lathes at school.

Massive.

The day that film came out was the day Star Wars died for me. I think I dragged myself to the cinema to see Ep 2&3 as well but they werent much of an improvement over TPM.

Saw Ep7 at the cinema but haven't even seen the rest of them on TV. It totally put me off the whole thing and I don't think I've even seen the originals since.

I'm still a big fan of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books- particularly the Heir to the Empire trilogy. Was saddened to hear of the de-canoning of all of that.

It they'd just made Hear to the Empire 1-3 as episode 7-9 I'd have been happy!

Cheers,
James

To be fair the second Disney became involved it was doomed although loving the Mandalorian series. Just keep Kathleen Kennedy away from the franchise and all should be well

Never been a gamer

Mr Whippy - 27/4/21 at 06:28 PM

Cool stuff, I'd love an R2D2 but I've got a few to many projects to finish first.

TK-41774 - 27/4/21 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Cool stuff, I'd love an R2D2 but I've got a few to many projects to finish first.

In my experience a car would be cheaper this one is at £4k and still counting

James - 28/4/21 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TK-41774
quote:
Originally posted by James

To be fair the second Disney became involved it was doomed although loving the Mandalorian series. Just keep Kathleen Kennedy away from the franchise and all should be well

Never been a gamer

I'm afraid it was the Phantom Menace that predominantly did it for me- and that was Lucas' giant steaming pile.

I wonder how the approach was different with Marvel because as a big comics fan of the 90's I love the MCU.

I've seen that picture of Kennedy, sitting in front of a bookshelf of about 200 Star Wars legends books, complaining that SW doesn't have the background material that the MCU does. lol

But wasn't she appointed by Lucas before the sale to Disney?

Have you read Heir to the Empire? I know that in another farcical decision Disney de-canonised it (as opposed to making it into bloody films!!!) but it really is the best SW post-RotJ stuff out there IMO. They were New York Times bestseller listed for months.

All the great characters from the films, plus a bunch cool new characters (this is where Thrawn first made an appearance) and it's all 'canon' along with the original films, the legends books series and the RPG! All tied in together in one working universe- brilliant!

Cheers,
James