Board logo

Because I can
Jon Ison - 3/7/11 at 03:50 PM

Just been out for a quick blat and to fill up ready for Cadwell on Wednesday, came across a 206 top down trudging along 20 below the limit, sat behind till safe then went past without the need to even think about breaking the speed limit.

1/2 mile on sat at lights waiting to turn right he pulls to left of me, "what you do that for" "because I can" what is it with some people, are you not allowed to overtake safely, after all I never thought to question his need to drive at 30mph on road with a 50 limit but good for much more in places, think he was driving with the fairies and maybe a fire spitting up change in his earhole put the wind up him a bit ?

tomgregory2000 - 3/7/11 at 04:25 PM

People driving slowly p1ss me off

There is no need to drive that slow, and whats worse is people doing 25 in a 30 because thats right between 2nd and 3rd for cruising

zilspeed - 3/7/11 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
People driving slowly p1ss me off

There is no need to drive that slow, and whats worse is people doing 25 in a 30 because thats right between 2nd and 3rd for cruising

You can't pull 4th gear @ 25MPH ?

At least 3rd with a whiff of throttle surely ?

Have you got a Veyron stuck in top gear or something ?

RazMan - 3/7/11 at 05:23 PM

Came across a classic today - 40mph in the middle lane on the M25. There were 80mph drivers swerving from the 'slow' lane to get around him. Slow drivers are just plain bloomin' dangerous on most roads, let alone motorways.

rusty nuts - 3/7/11 at 05:40 PM

What really bugs me is drivers pulling out of a junction right in front of you and not accelerating especially coming when
they pull out out of our local garden center into a 40 limit and do 30mph. Followed closely by idiot cyclists who refuse to use
the cycle lane provided and insist on riding over a humpback bridge with a double bend on it

Jon Ison - 3/7/11 at 06:01 PM

It wasn't his speed just his attitude, my best guess was he didn't even know I was there till I blew the cobwebs off him on the up shift, I must admit I did time it to coincide with his ear hole and it does "crack" and pop a flame out if timed right........

zilspeed - 3/7/11 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
What really bugs me is drivers pulling out of a junction right in front of you and not accelerating especially coming when
they pull out out of our local garden center into a 40 limit and do 30mph. Followed closely by idiot cyclists who refuse to use
the cycle lane provided and insist on riding over a humpback bridge with a double bend on it

The cycle lane isn't always appropriate.

If it's shared use, for example, and the speed differential between cyclists and pedestrians is greater than 15mph, you are recommended to use the road. They are cosnidered to be the vulnerable road users, more so than cyclists.
Without knowing the humpback bridge, I wouldnt' comment, but around here, I'm certainyl carefull to make sure that if I have to use such a bit of road, I've got as much speed on as possible, make myself as visible as possible and get on with it swiftly and let everyone past when it's safe. I have no problem in sharing the road and always show my appreciation to anyone who demonstrates a similar attitude.

matt_gsxr - 3/7/11 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:

The cycle lane isn't always appropriate.

If it's shared use, for example, and the speed differential between cyclists and pedestrians is greater than 15mph, you are recommended to use the road. They are cosnidered to be the vulnerable road users, more so than cyclists.
Without knowing the humpback bridge, I wouldnt' comment, but around here, I'm certainyl carefull to make sure that if I have to use such a bit of road, I've got as much speed on as possible, make myself as visible as possible and get on with it swiftly and let everyone past when it's safe. I have no problem in sharing the road and always show my appreciation to anyone who demonstrates a similar attitude.

+1

rusty nuts - 3/7/11 at 06:42 PM

As a keen cyclist I still get annoyed when every other cyclist uses the cycle path except the guys on their road bike doing their Contador bit . Why?, when the purpose built,on the flat, cycle lane built beside the hampback bridge in question ( at the Stapleford end of the Sawston bi pass for those that know the Cambridge area) is good enough for everyone else do they insist on putting their life at risk ? Often riding side by side I hasten to add! Another wide cycle lane runs to Wandlebury from Cambridge has very few walkers ,built at the cost of hundreds of thousands of pounds is also ignored by the same Contador clones, Why?? The surface is better than the road and a damn site safer!

Ninehigh - 3/7/11 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
"what you do that for"

What did I do what for? Drive at the speed limit? As set by our wonderful government as a safe speed for the road? Because I like to drive maybe?

I can be a right sarky git

Having said that I've passed people on a local 60 road, on a mother-effing MOPED! They should have committed seppuku with that one.

zilspeed - 3/7/11 at 07:35 PM

I'm no Contador, although my brother might have had some clenbuterol at some point.

Kwik - 3/7/11 at 08:12 PM

i once past a moped doing 30 on a 70 mph A road... worse bit is i passed him just as he was comming up to the exit form the M25... about 5 lanes worth of cars and he was smack bang in the middle... what an idiot. especially when there is a 30mph road that runs virtually next to the A road, just with a load of roundabouts...

mcerd1 - 4/7/11 at 08:26 AM

quote:
...when the purpose built,on the flat, cycle lane built beside the hampback bridge in question ( at the Stapleford end of the Sawston bi pass for those that know the Cambridge area)

you mean this bit: linky

we've got plenty of idiots on bikes up here too, but the worst offenders are joggers who run on the road (rather than the pavment right next to them) and people who won't overtake - not even when its a tractor doing less than 20

btw I've nothing against the tractors (I used to drive them for a living myself) but folk who won't over take.....

[Edited on 4/7/2011 by mcerd1]

MikeFellows - 4/7/11 at 08:56 AM

the worst offenders in my opinion....

the knob heads that drive down the country roads at 40mph, hit a 30mph village and continue to do 40mph

Irony - 4/7/11 at 09:25 AM

Well if we're listing personal driving hates then mine is:

People who sit on country roads behind Tractors/Caravans/Horseboxes with no intention of overtaking but stay to close to the slow vehicle so that people have to overtake two vehicles to get past. Ignorant Ignorant Ignorant!

rusty nuts - 4/7/11 at 07:07 PM

Yes thats the bit of road but it doesn't show how bad the bridge is although you can see the cycle path to the left of the bridge. The traffic on the road is probably being held up by a cyclist on the bridge!

mcerd1 - 4/7/11 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Yes thats the bit of road but it doesn't show how bad the bridge is although you can see the cycle path to the left of the bridge. The traffic on the road is probably being held up by a cyclist on the bridge!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.141897,0.148804&spn=0.002574,0.006866&sll=52.122735,0.169807&sspn=0.027407,0.06403&t=h&a mp;z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.14196,0.148756&panoid=z4S4Q4l9OBP0PL9gx4tEjg&cbp=12,326.5,,0,-1.51

is that the bit ?

it doesn't look that bad to me, but I guess those roads are a bit busy compared to up here....

[Edited on 4/7/2011 by mcerd1]

lanzecki - 5/7/11 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
It wasn't his speed just his attitude, my best guess was he didn't even know I was there till I blew the cobwebs off him on the up shift, I must admit I did time it to coincide with his ear hole and it does "crack" and pop a flame out if timed right........

Another reason to replace my Pinto with a Zetec. Like I needed another.

MikeRJ - 5/7/11 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows

the knob heads that drive down the country roads at 40mph, hit a 30mph village and continue to do 40mph

Damn right! Almost every day I blat past these cretins trundling along the NSL bits, only to have them catch up and properly tailgate me through a village and various residential areas. Utter mongs of the highest order, and doubtless they consider me a lunatic for driving at appropriate speeds for the road.

Amazingly I haven't had someone flash their lights or shake a fist at me for having the audacity to (safely) overtake for ages. I went through a spate of this a year ago, but I just smile and wave cheerily at them as though they were someone I knew

David Jenkins - 5/7/11 at 02:39 PM

I was driving down an empty Sudbury to Colchester road a while back, at or just below the NSL, when I came around the corner to find a Picasso doing 40-ish. As I could see that there was no oncoming traffic I indicated and zoomed past him...
...he swerved all over the place, jammed on his brakes, flashed his lights at me and waved his fist!

Perhaps if kept a better watch in his rear-view mirror he wouldn't have been quite so surprised when I went by...

Oh - and we get a plague of "40mph everywhere" drivers around here too. Very annoying.

Ninehigh - 5/7/11 at 03:15 PM

As I don't do many country roads I shall have to stick my vote in to cull those who can't change lanes, I have no problem with overtaking on the left (as opposed to moving all the way over to the 3rd lane and block the motorway even further with me doing 60-70) and in all the years I've done this ONE, yes ONE SINGULAR PERSON in 14 years of driving have noticed and moved over to the right lane.

Moorron - 5/7/11 at 05:41 PM

quote:

This! Its like they dont care about any speed limits just drive how they feel.

mcerd1 - 5/7/11 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
quote:

This! Its like they dont care about any speed limits just drive how they feel.

I recon they are scared of speed in general, rather than inappropriate speed

or they are just totaly oblivious - either way its scary

ashg - 5/7/11 at 06:18 PM

i drive from rochester to crawley every day and time the journey on a regular basis. if i do the whole journey in the middle or outer lane it takes on average 15mins longer over 50miles. why does this happen. well lorry drivers can keep a consistent speed and rarely change lanes all the other twats in their 4.0l audi's or what ever, think they own the road and must own the middle and outer lane and constantly have to show everyone they own both lanes by chopping between the two causing everyone to brake.

JoelP - 5/7/11 at 08:45 PM

the one that gets me most has already been said, when everyone queues behind a tractor and wont overtake. I took out ten people in one pass a few weeks back... driving the van. I guess these people either arent in a hurry, or actually care about the occational muppet who flashes you for overtaking.

In fact i had a chap flash me the other day, though i was back in a good distance before he passed. I gave him a huge wave coupled with a real retard gormless grin