Board logo

Bumped my car
leon51274 - 7/4/15 at 09:43 AM

ok, my fault but at the weekend while giving it a tickle I hit a patch of dry/dusty dirt and ended up doing a full 360 taking in both grass verges and ending up rearwards in a hedge. Fortunately no one hurt apart from my pride but I did manage to smash an indicator lens. My question is if i was to purchase a new indicator without the e mark will this be an mot failure?

Cheers
Leon

Mole-UK - 7/4/15 at 10:01 AM

The side repeaters I fitted to mine don't have E mark and its just passed an MOT, to be fair, the MOT tester was more interested in getting the job done as quick as he could.

A snippet from the MOT manual shows that they don't need e marks.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5.

However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

leon51274 - 7/4/15 at 10:03 AM

Cheers Mole, that will do for me, although the replacement ones I've found come with e mark so should be ok.

Mr Whippy - 7/4/15 at 11:08 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of foreign and vintage cars who's lights never bore any E markings and pass the MOT just fine

adrianreeve - 18/4/15 at 10:23 PM

What you doing to my lovely car Leon??!!

Glad you're ok!