Board logo

Newbie saying hi from Swansea!!
ChrissyDai - 10/11/15 at 07:48 PM

Hi guys, just thought I'd start my first post off by saying hi! I was into the VW camper scene a few years back, so I'm used to being skint!! But after a few years of normal cars and no enjoyment, I'm looking to bite the bullet and get a kit car!... In fact there was a locost on eBay that I missed out on on Sunday 😔! I am a complete novice when it comes to these cars, so any advice is greatly appreciated! Although, I kind of know in my head that I want a turbo! And ideally a T5...I had a C70 t5 for a few years and I was gutted to see it leave! If it was RWD I'd probably still have it lol! I've searched on here and seen 1 build which looks fantastic! So I've decided to buy another T5 car as the donor and I've seen another locost on eBay using a TR7 as a donor car but I have no idea if this is more hassle than the worth of it! Any tips or advice any of you have I would greatly appreciate it! Cheers guys,

Chris

[Edited on 10/11/15 by ChrissyDai]

theconrodkid - 10/11/15 at 07:55 PM

Hello

locost7-online.com - 10/11/15 at 08:12 PM

Welcome to locostbuilders, you will get lots of advice on here, there is a lot of different things to choose from, I'm building a tiger Avon from scratch so probable can't help you much, I wish you luck with whatever you do.
John

James - 11/11/15 at 12:58 AM

Hi!

The best tip I can give is the more standard the car is, the more likely you are to finish and the quicker it will be finished!

Basically, if you're buildign a book chassis stick to the plans and then the more Ford parts the better and then 'just' bolt your Volvo engine to them!

Anything else and you're just cutting down on the number of people who can help you and the spares and parts you can easily get.

I finished mine in 2006 after 4 years of work- it was an amazing experience!

Cheers,
James

phil m - 11/11/15 at 06:53 AM

Hi Chris

Nice to hear from someone local. I'm just down the road in Hendy.

This sites has been invaluable for my locost and Mac builds

Phil

ChrissyDai - 11/11/15 at 10:42 AM

Cheers for the info already guys, it's much appreciated! Phil, I'm originally from Gorseinon, moved to Hendy for a few years and now living in Swansea! Once I get my car, we will have to catch up for a cuppa before I start the rebuild

lsdweb - 11/11/15 at 11:36 AM

Hi Chris

Welcome

I'm a couple of miles away (near Five Roads, Llanelli). I'm not technically gifted but know a lot of people in the area who are!

Regards

Wyn

ReMan - 11/11/15 at 04:17 PM

Welcome aboard
(You dont work at the DVLA do you?)

unijacko67 - 11/11/15 at 08:18 PM

Welcome, great source for help and advice in my case. lol

ChrissyDai - 11/11/15 at 08:56 PM

Haha!! No unfortunately I don't work for the D.V.L.A but I do have a few friends that work there!

TimC - 12/11/15 at 07:11 AM

Shwmae.

ChrissyDai - 12/11/15 at 01:54 PM

Guys, can anybody tell me how I can upload pictures onto this thread please? I have a potential car to buy but the seller (or I) don't know the actual make of it!