Board logo

Oh, that is annoying...
David Jenkins - 21/6/21 at 12:30 PM

I've just had to replace one of my rear brake wheel cylinders as it was leaking fluid (see epic saga elsewhere).

When I ordered the replacement I bought two, as they weren't much more expensive than buying one (probably because of postage). I thought the extra one might be needed - if one side goes, the other will probably follow shortly.

Today I was looking through my spare parts box for something - and found an as-new, unused wheel cylinder. I'd replaced the other side quite a few years ago, and obviously bought two 'just in case'... I now have two 'spares'.

Sigh...

...and I still haven't found what I was looking for!

[Edited on 21/6/21 by David Jenkins]

jacko - 21/6/21 at 03:21 PM

It’s a age thing

nick205 - 21/6/21 at 04:06 PM

David,

I think what's happening here is you're collecting parts for another build

harmchar - 21/6/21 at 04:19 PM

Can identify with this. My garage is full of "just in case" bits n bobs.

mark chandler - 21/6/21 at 05:11 PM

When I service my Volvo I always get transmission fluid, I moved house three weeks ago, 9 x 500cc bottles, it’s expensive stuff ..

It’s an age….

I moved loads of tat, literally a trailer full, “I will have a use one day” rubbish

[Edited on 21/6/21 by mark chandler]

David Jenkins - 21/6/21 at 06:37 PM

I'm glad it's not just me!

I was looking through my spare parts box and found all sorts of things that were put in there 6 or 7 years ago and have never moved since (and will never be used again). They're now in the bin!

SteveWalker - 21/6/21 at 07:19 PM

However, it is guaranteed that when you have a clear out, you'll suddenly find a use for something that you know you've had around and then you'll realise that you just got rid of it. I can't think how many times that has happened to me!

rusty nuts - 22/6/21 at 07:03 AM

I once had a 20ft x10ft she’d full of classic Mini parts that I scrapped in 1985 , probably many £1000s worth these days?

David Jenkins - 22/6/21 at 11:16 AM

The one my wife teases me about is a pin hammer... I used to have a nice one, but it vanished in the mess that is my garage. Turned everything out, cleared the shelves, and so on. A few years later we were walking through an antiques/junk shop and found a decent one for £5, which I immediately bought.

And you can guess the rest - about a week or two later the original one turned up!

nick205 - 23/6/21 at 01:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The one my wife teases me about is a pin hammer... I used to have a nice one, but it vanished in the mess that is my garage. Turned everything out, cleared the shelves, and so on. A few years later we were walking through an antiques/junk shop and found a decent one for £5, which I immediately bought.

And you can guess the rest - about a week or two later the original one turned up!

done similar myself

I also get asked why I've got more than 1 hammer - I once tried explaing the number of different things I might need to strike with a hammer - that stopped the questions about having more than 1 hammer

David Jenkins - 23/6/21 at 01:37 PM

I've lost count - I think I've got 10 or 12 hammers, maybe more! All have a specific use, maybe with the exception of one of the 2 pin hammers!

Charlie_Zetec - 23/6/21 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

done similar myself

I also get asked why I've got more than 1 hammer - I once tried explaing the number of different things I might need to strike with a hammer - that stopped the questions about having more than 1 hammer

My wife often asks why I've got multiples of any one type of tool - to which I often reply "Why have you go so many different pairs of shoes?" Not really any comeback to that....

nick205 - 23/6/21 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

done similar myself

My wife often asks why I've got multiples of any one type of tool - to which I often reply "Why have you go so many different pairs of shoes?" Not really any comeback to that....

Quality response - noted for future use