Board logo

Drive or transport my new toy
r1_pete - 1/12/09 at 09:39 PM

I think I've found my next toy, a 67 series 1.5 E Type, I'm off for a look with a fist full of cash tomorrow.

I'm 90% sure I'll have it, now, I'm in Sheffield, it is in Southampton. It is legal, and I've got insurance I can swing over, but I can't help thinking it would be better having a 42 year old car transported at this time of year, rather than chancing a 220 mile trip.

Weathers likely to be crap, it only needs a split hose ot a cable breaking to knacker things up before I have chance to go over it properly.......

No option for a poll in anything else, but what do you guys think?

[Edited on 1/12/09 by r1_pete]

twybrow - 1/12/09 at 09:44 PM

Have you got breakdown cover? If so, you could catch the train, then drive it back. If it dies en route, then at least you get a good shot at fixing it at the side of the road, and you would know how it drove up until then. Plus you then get a free lift home!

On the other hand, they were gritting today 'round my way - I cant help thinking salty roads + old car doesn't mix well!

jos - 1/12/09 at 09:45 PM

Drive it, at least that way you get first hand experience of your own of its condition. If you transport it, it will be exposed to the elements anyway so just drive it. Plus if it does unfortunately fail, you get the comfort of recovery from AA/RAC, assuming you have cover

eznfrank - 1/12/09 at 09:53 PM

If you haven't yet got any breakdown cover, do it NOW as they don't usually come into force till midnight so in otherwords if you try sort it in the morning it will be useless!!

r1_pete - 1/12/09 at 09:56 PM

Yep I've got AA relay, but that takes Hooooouuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrsssssss I've heard as it changes territory.

A breakdown locally whilst shaking the car down is ok, but on a long run its a nightmare.

blakep82 - 1/12/09 at 09:58 PM

^transporter then
i'm surprised there isn't anywhere you can hire a 3.5 ton beavertail. that would be great if i could find a hire company that does them...

owelly - 1/12/09 at 10:24 PM

Do you have a tow car? If not, then drive it. Hire a car to drive there for Ģ45(IIRC), leave the hire car in Southampton and drive the new toy home. Leave plenty of time and plan the route carefully. Make sure your breakdown is up to date and if you have to use it, don't forget you're a lone female with a baby in the car....when they get there 'as a priority', the female and child has already gone off in a taxi......

morcus - 2/12/09 at 01:03 AM

Don't you have to pay a significant amount of money to leave a hire car in a different county?

I'd say, take a mate and a good tow car (And a trailer if you can) then drive it back in convoy, the worst that'll happen then is you'll have to get recovered and taken to the next service station to trailer it. It'll cost you a fair bit to have it transported and it could get damaged and you couldn't be sure if its just because it was old or if the transport guys broke it (Esecially If your not there with them.

Be a man, Drive it and damn the consiquences.

My Dad reckons you can't rent a car moving van because the 'Pro's' don't want us to do it our selves.

Canada EH! - 2/12/09 at 04:08 AM

My friend bought a 65 E type in Vancouver British Columbia that had been in storage 10 years and drove it back to Toronto Ontario, Just over 3000 miles, one flat tire.

speedyxjs - 2/12/09 at 07:12 AM

Oh man, series 1.5 was the best of the lot imo

I would drive it (assuming you have breakdown cover).

Im so jealous

cjtheman - 2/12/09 at 07:29 AM

i would drive it
complete with silly grin

hughpinder - 2/12/09 at 09:48 AM

If its been used regularily (at least a couple of times a year on the road) I'd drive it. If its been sat for years without moving under its own steam, then I'd transport it.

Hugh

designer - 2/12/09 at 11:10 AM

I used this site

http://www.shiply.com/

mangogrooveworkshop - 2/12/09 at 02:22 PM

Buy it and drive it to rome .....and back.

Just drive it

Angel Acevedo - 2/12/09 at 04:27 PM

DRIVE IT!!!
I had to push my first car 15 BLOCKS!!!!
It didnīt have a running engine.

r1_pete - 2/12/09 at 07:00 PM

Thanks Guys, but, with the rain between Oxford and Southampton today, I have to confess I wimped, and arranged transportation, but I did buy it....

Needs some tidying inside, and probably a megajolt....
E Type1
E Type1

E Type2
E Type2

And one just for Speedyxjs

E Type3
E Type3

Angel Acevedo - 2/12/09 at 08:30 PM

Am I allowed to say Wusss??

Mods, please advise.

adam1985 - 2/12/09 at 09:05 PM

that is beuatiful really like the colour bet your a happy man

rusty nuts - 2/12/09 at 09:24 PM

Nice but someones nicked the SUs!

r1_pete - 2/12/09 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Am I allowed to say Wusss??

Mods, please advise.

Most definately as WUSSSSSSS, but the rain was torrential.

There are quite a few mods, powermax pistons in new liners, ally flywheel, stainless 6 branch and freeflow exhaust, those webers, which bark like a rotwieller, 5 speed box, 6.5 inch wheels, decent shocks, and believe it or not an Ģ11000 engine rebuild 2 years ago.

Yes I'm really happy with it, its not perferct by a long shot, but its a dream realised since selling my last E in 1979 after just 6 month ownership.

Running improvements are the order, and getting to use it, not like the MGB...

r1_pete - 2/12/09 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Nice but someones nicked the SUs!

I have them.....

02GF74 - 2/12/09 at 10:03 PM

what can I say . ..... very nice.

like the wires too.

Angel Acevedo - 2/12/09 at 10:34 PM

Congrats,
In Mexico I can only dream about these cars...
My comment was based on nothing but plain and simple envy.
Regarding the list you have then it was a bargain....
Double envyous!!!
Enjoy your new toy.

Staple balls - 3/12/09 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Thanks Guys, but, with the rain between Oxford and Southampton today, I have to confess I wimped, and arranged transportation, but I did buy it....

Needs some tidying inside, and probably a megajolt....

Jesus, I'd kill for that.