Board logo

It weren't like this when I were a lad
zilspeed - 22/12/09 at 08:17 AM

Or was it.

This snow, I've certainly seen winters before, but not consistently.
The Sarf East exepcially seems to be getting hammered to unprecedented levels. The last few winters seem a bit harsher than the preceeding nearly forty which I can remember. (44 now).

When you look at the likes of Canada, there is a huge amount of it which is much further south than we are here in the uk, yet they have much warmer summers and much colder winters.
all because of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

Or rather the dependency on the scenario in the link not taking place.

The question is, while you look out on the snow/ ice / fog.

Is the climate changing ?
What happens to the uk if the Gulf Stream and more specifically the North Atlantic Drift were to stop ?

Is that what's happening right now, or are we all being a bit dramatic ?

Lastly, what's the correct size of snow tyre to put on a pair of winter steelies to replace the 205/50x15"s on alloys on the Golf GTI ?
(Some motoring content there)

turbodisplay - 22/12/09 at 08:26 AM

South of france is freezing due to no gulf stream. Worse case senario we will be as cold as moscow.
Darren

HOL - 22/12/09 at 08:36 AM

I'd better buy a job lot of fur hats now then!!

Ill make a killing down the market!

smart51 - 22/12/09 at 08:43 AM

Average temperatures over a whole year are higher now than any time in the last 350 years (look up central England temperature). The difference in the last few years are wilder weather than before. More frequent cold snaps in winter. Whole months of rain in the summer. There is no doubt that the weather in this country has gone mad in the last few years but I'm not sure the data is there to support your gulf stream theory.

HOL - 22/12/09 at 08:45 AM

quote:

Lastly, what's the correct size of snow tyre to put on a pair of winter steelies to replace the 205/50x15"s on alloys on the Golf GTI ?
(Some motoring content there)

Would it not be cheaper to buy some of those plastic -banded snow chains.

Agriv8 - 22/12/09 at 08:46 AM

Is the climate changing YES - It has done consistently since the dawn of the planet !!!

but surly the following has got to have a bigger affect on global warming.

1, the ozone layer reduction over the north pole ( this is now no longer in decline 1? ) changing weather patterns

2, Deforestation every ware

3, increased world population

My other thoughts are

1 the Romans were growing wine in the UK in the roman times (documented)

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise

3 why happening now rather than victorian times

4 I suspect the UK's Impact is minimal whan looking a tht esize of China and Amerca's CO output

but its a good excuse for the government to TAX us more.

Regards

agriv8

smart51 - 22/12/09 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
1, the ozone layer reduction over the north pole ( this is now no longer in decline 1? ) changing weather patterns

Yes, this was causes by CFCs in aerosols and fridges. As soon as we stopped it, the ozon holes started to close. Job done.

2, Deforestation every ware

Yes, a big problem. Forests extract CO2 from the air and turn it into wood. Fewer trees = more atmospheric CO2. This is what people refer to as man made climate change.

3, increased world population

My other thoughts are

1 the Romans were growing wine in the UK in the roman times (documented)

... and we do now. No change there then.

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise.

Central England Temperatures have been recorded the same way for 350 years. The results are lovely.

3 why happening now rather than victorian times

Global temperatures started to rise a year or two after the condensing steam engine was patented. At first only the UK was at it but it wasn't long before other countries followed us. Even China is now industrialising.

4 I suspect the UK's Impact is minimal whan looking a tht esize of China and Amerca's CO output

UK man made emissions since the invention of the steam engine are I believe the second highest in the world. The US is slightly more and China is catching up fast. We're still one of the worst in the world but about average for Western Europe. Ireland, Canada and Australia are particularly bad, per person. Of course the UK only makes up 1% of the worlds population but we consume 3 times as much natural resource as the planet can support per person

Mr Whippy - 22/12/09 at 09:13 AM

Don’t panic, snowing at this time of year is quite normal and in summer it’s much warmer than now so your not all going to die of frost bite

zilspeed - 22/12/09 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Don’t panic, snowing at this time of year is quite normal and in summer it’s much warmer than now so your not all going to die of frost bite

Oh, I know.
There's no sense of panic here. It's not like were actually in control of it happening or not.

However, it does appear to me that the seasons in recent years are become more distinct rather than "not particualrly hot or cold plus a bit damp."
Which we seemed to get for years, that's all.

MikeRJ - 22/12/09 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
However, it does appear to me that the seasons in recent years are become more distinct rather than "not particualrly hot or cold plus a bit damp."

Except down here in the South West where we just don't seem to get any serious amount of snow. I can clearly remember large snow falls shutting schools on several occasions when I was a nipper, but we haven't had more than a sprinkling for many years.

Personally the lying, cheating scum at CRU have removed any doubts I had about anthropomorphic climate change; I always had a strong suspicion the whole "global warming" panic was simply another government plan to extract more money, and the Climategate scandal + the Copenhagen farce adds a lot of weight to this idea.

I'm far more inclined to believe our overdue ice age is going to start in the not too distant future; the current screwy climate does fit well with the predictions chaotic behaviour prior to the start of a new ice age...

Mr Whippy - 22/12/09 at 09:40 AM

quote:
quote:

Oh, I know.
There's no sense of panic here. It's not like were actually in control of it happening or not.

Well I’m only 36 and I remember when a kid literally half the house covered in snow drifts then warm winters with virtually none then snow in June! Britain is not a good place to judge any climate change as its well known to everyone who lives here as having highly unpredictable weather

Peteff - 22/12/09 at 09:45 AM

It's only snowed for a week, what you on about ? Some of the pictures in the news have made me laugh, there is still grass showing through the snow and the roads have an inch or two on them. I can remember walking to work for a fortnight because the roads were impassable many years ago. You're being brainwashed by the government global warming hype to get more taxes out of you.

David Jenkins - 22/12/09 at 09:56 AM

I remember when I were a lad, being told by my primary school teacher that it was dangerous to walk out onto the ice that was on the sea in Swansea bay! That would have been around 1963...

Interestingly, even though it was VERY cold for quite a few weeks, cars and buses were still moving around the town.

The problem in the UK is that we're just not used to snow - other countries that get it every winter have developed techniques for dealing with it. For example, in some parts of Scandinavia they don't grit the roads - they just go over with a snow plough to move the bulk of it. Cars are expected/obliged to have winter tyres, and know how to drive in those conditions. I believe that fitting snow chains forms part of the driving test in some regions...

Agriv8 - 22/12/09 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

... and we do now. No change there then.

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise.

Central England Temperatures have been recorded the same way for 350 years. The results are lovely.

Today data pulled electronically from stations and averaged ?

Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer 1714 so how can we have 350 years of accurate data ? how accurate was thermometer 1 vs thermometer 2

I belive the climate is changing but I belive we ony have 100 years of accurate data how long has the weather been happening on this planet ?

Maybe its just my mis-trust of statisic's

I am with David Bellamy on this one.

regards

Agriv8

neilj37 - 22/12/09 at 10:44 AM

Vegaterians are the main cause of global warming if you think about. The biggest contribution to greenhouse gases is the methane produced by cows. If more people ate cows then there would be less gas, hence its the vegaterians fault

scootz - 22/12/09 at 10:53 AM

I think you may have a point there Neil...

scootz - 22/12/09 at 10:59 AM

Frankie Boyle's Classic Line on Vegetarianism in Mock-the-Week

NSFW!

johnston - 22/12/09 at 11:39 AM

Another thing that was on some documentry I watcged.

There was more Co2 in the air when volcano's were active than there is now.

2nd the first living organisms (singled celled) breathed co2 not oxygen!!

Are we having an affect, most definitely. Is it as big as the Gov and greenies would have us think, prob not.

Are folk ill prepared and un-trained for snowy conditions most definitely . Practically everyone going past my house this morning has skidded, no speed involved just braked everytime the went on to the compacted snow!!

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 11:43 AM

MikeRJ - go and lookup the definition of climate, and the definition of weather. Two very different definitions....

So what evidence do you have to refute the goverment and scientific claims on climate change? Have you actually read and understood the contect of what was said by the CRU? Armchair politics is all very well, but it is people like you that results in no decision making at Copenhagen. The scientific evidence is compelling, and only a fool (or a Bush) would argue against it without some strong evidence to the contrary.... Not all things the goverment do are about squeezing you for tax money, occasionaly, they might just be onto something!

Are you really prepared to sit back and wait a couple of generations, and explain to your grandchildren your rationale for doing nothing....?

[Edited on 22/12/09 by twybrow]

Bluemoon - 22/12/09 at 12:03 PM

It's just winter, the UK sometimes get's a harsh one.. Our memory's seem to only be accurate for about 3 years; don't worry about it last harsh one was probably 13yrs ago, and we all forgot..

Like above climate and weather are different things, weather is sort term year to year stuff (like this winter) climate is a longer time scale thing... Climate change might be responsible for example for our winters getting shorter (if you do gardening you might have noticed this)...

Dan

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Bluemoon]

BenB - 22/12/09 at 12:08 PM

The climate is changing and some of the problem is man-made.

On the other hand, half the time people are complaining that winters are too warm, now they're complaining they're too cold.

I guess it's only the winters of childhood memories that were always perfectly snowy and just the right temperature for snowball fights....

wilkingj - 22/12/09 at 12:31 PM

Arrghh.... We are all Doomed

The world has been both hotter AND colder in the last 200,000 years. And thats all before the industrial revolution introduced CO2 emissions.

OK Man isnt helping the climate. But the World and Nature is bigger than Man alone, and will ultimately do what it wants.

Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate. Try controlling the Ocean, or a Volcano or even coastal erosion. History has show us that we just cannot do it. Thus Nature will always win.

When Man has become extinct, maybe its time for the insects to take over!

When the top 1/3 of the lattitudes of the world are covered in 1 kilometer of Ice and snow, it will take a LOT of JCB's to clear it!

Its all just a BIG PLOY by Governments in a bid to squeeze more TAXES out of a stupid and gullible public.

We will never learn will we??

Agriv8 - 22/12/09 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

The world has been both hotter AND colder in the last 200,000 years. And thats all before the industrial revolution introduced CO2 emissions.

OK Man isnt helping the climate. But the World and Nature is bigger than Man alone, and will ultimately do what it wants.

Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate. Try controlling the Ocean, or a Volcano or even coastal erosion. History has show us that we just cannot do it. Thus Nature will always win.

When the top 1/3 of the lattitudes of the world are covered in 1 kilometer of Ice and snow, it will take a LOT of JCB's to clear it!

Its all just a BIG PLOY by Governments in a bid to squeeze more TAXES out of a stupid and gullible public.

Well put now stand as a polititian and I will vote for you !!!

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 12:42 PM

quote:

No one is arguing that the temperature of the earth has fluctuated widly over the years - simply, this is the first time when we have evidence to show it is us making this change. A single volcano erupting can affect the earth's climate for 2 years or more, but that is not what is in question - it is our contribution that is the concern. We are accelerating and instigating the changes.

It is not arrogant to want to preserve what is around you, and what you know - no one is saying we will control the climate, far from it - we are trying to limit our impact on the climate, which surely is a good thing either way...

If the goverment just wanted more taxes, then they would do so - don't be such a cynic!

RK - 22/12/09 at 12:49 PM

I just want to say that Canada only looks bad in the pollution arena because of our small population. And the places that do the most complaining about us are those that have bigger, much more polluting populations. Even here, the most populous, energy hungry provinces are jumping all over Alberta. Hey, if you don't want the oil, don't drive a car, don't buy a product where the thing was sent by truck etc. etc. Just walk everywhere like in the old days. Except you CAN'T in this country, because there is no sidewalk half the time, the road is too narrow because of the snow, you'd freeze before getting there, and things are way to far apart.

You are lucky to have a half decent public transit system. Anything can be improved, yes, but here there is eff all most places outside Toronto and Montreal - hardly even buses.

Don't despair, your snow will soon be gone; ours won't be gone for 6 more months.

flak monkey - 22/12/09 at 12:57 PM

Thats the thing you see...

Is the climate changing? Yes it is - and always has done

Is man having an effect on the current increase in temps? Maybe - but at the moment the average global temp is well within the normal historical variation.

How big is the effect? No one really 100% knows - hence why governments are taking the precautions of trying to reduce emmissions.

You can make the data say what you want depending on your viewpoint. In the 1970s the data pointed to global cooling and everyone was panicing that the next ice age was coming as the trend was globl temps decreasing. Now the trend is increasing temps everyone jumps on the global warming bandwagon.

Theres a saying in the scientific community - if you want funding for your project mention climate change and you'll get as much as you can spend.

My viewpoint is this:
The climate is changing - though whilst it is within the natural variation of historic temps I am not panicing.

Yes the whole world needs to reduce its use of carbon based fuels, this can only be a good thing long term as it provokes development of new technologies. And this should be the driving force for these technologies.

Confused but excited. - 22/12/09 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Even China is now industrialising

we consume 3 times as much natural resource as the planet can support per person

Your grand-kids had better learn Chinese then. It's only a matter of time..........

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 01:02 PM

Forgive me chaps, I sent the link to this thread to my Mrs, who is a climate change advisor for the UK goverment. Here is her response:

"Yes, climate has always changed, lots of natural cycles, caused, in part to Milankovitch cycles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles. This is totally normal, and explains some of the things listed above - warmer in roman times, colder in middle ages (the mini-ice age), sea level changes, and there is nothing we will do to change these natural cycles.

However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards). Yes, we've seen CO2 levels this high before many millennia ago, but we weren't around then. With 6 billion people living on our planet now, climate changes of the scale we will see if we don't do anything will be, quite simply, catastrophic.

Has anyone actually sat down and read the latest assessment of ALL the climate science out there, the IPCC forth assessment report (http://www.ipcc.ch/)? I haven't, and until I do, I think its fair to say that there are a lot of people out there who understand the science more than me. Most notably, about 96% of all the climate scientists out there.

And we have quite considerably more than the Central England Temperature record. Yes, this is one of the best data sets due to its detail, accuracy and length, but we have quite an arsenal of other data at our disposal - including ice cores, which document Earth's changes from well before we ever started using thermometers.

Remember - "global warming" isn't all about being able to sit about outside in your pants in the middle of winter in 50 years time. Yes, we are expecting AVERAGES of warmer, wetter winters and hotter, drier summers, but we also expect more extreme weather events. The climate will get more unpredictable. It is quite possible that we can have a cold summer or a dry winter without us all proclaiming that the science is rubbish.

All the latest climate predictions for the UK can be found at http://ukcp09.defra.gov.uk/ - the most advanced in the world - and you can look for your region at what you might be able to expect (on
average) in the future. Definitely more kit car days for me.

And, for the record, the ozone layer is NOT related to global warming - not all environmental issues raised in the last 30 years are to do with global warming!"

I'll happily send her any questions/comments you might have....

[Edited on 22/12/09 by twybrow]

Mr Whippy - 22/12/09 at 01:02 PM

^ spot on flak monkey

Those climate change hypochondriacs always look on the bad side of things. Think off all the huge areas of land that will become usable instead of being too cold, Canada, Russia for example while of some desert regions becoming more barren, which is a pretty stupid place to live anyway.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

zilspeed - 22/12/09 at 01:25 PM

FFS lads.

All I said was, don't you think it's a bit chilly this winter

A1 - 22/12/09 at 01:26 PM

climate change is a natrual occurance, the world has gone through 4 major climate shifts in its life.
this may be encouraged by us, or it may not, but anything we do now wont make any difference for hundreds of years.
the world apparently orbits the sun in an eliptical pattern, so sometimes its closer to the sun and we get hot and sometimes its further away and we get cold.
i dont think we should be too worried, we just shouldnt be as wasteful as we have become. Long and short is theres just too many humans and sooner or later nature will come sort us out.

just my 2p

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/12/09 at 01:48 PM

quote:
FFS lads.

FCUK Lads Im depressed enough as it is......
All I can say is WEAR THE FOX HAT!

Findlay234 - 22/12/09 at 01:58 PM

We are technically coming out of an ice age in the GRAND scheme of things so temperatures should be increasing....

should they be increasing as fast as they are currently?... maybe not... whos to really say

If they are increasing faster than normal can we say that this is our fault?....... not catagorically.

Do we have an effect on the planet?.... undoubtedly

Is it as big as an effect as some wish you believe? (al gore and other political types)...... maybe... but probably not.

Do we have a duty to try and do something about it?.... yes we should try and limit our affect on the planet but we must tread carefully.... "look china, i know weve had our industrial revolution but now we THINK it has an effect on the climate we would like you to stop having yours... i know its unfair but think about mother nature".... its just not going to happen.

In summary, we do affect the climate, by how much.... well theres a lot of debate on that and A LOT of bias statistics and information remember most statistics can be shown both ways.

As a radio DJ said once... if we are actually having an effect on the climate then there is nothing we can really do about it. The level we produce as a country is a drop in the ocean to china/india/etc and theyre only going to produce more. so if it is our fault, dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do just sit pack and enjoy the party while it lasts...... (not totally in line with my own opinion btw)

scootz - 22/12/09 at 02:00 PM

quote:
FFS lads.

Nope... if anything I think it's been pretty mild so far!

Findlay234 - 22/12/09 at 02:01 PM

^^^^^^^

Sorry flak monkey didnt read yours before i wrote mine... sounds like were singing from the same sheet

Findlay234 - 22/12/09 at 02:04 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Vostok-ice-core-p etit.png

Ice core data

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Findlay234]

scootz - 22/12/09 at 02:04 PM

I don't have a problem with any pending disaster for mankind as I think we need a right good clear-out anyway. I do, however, get a little weepy about the plight of Polar Bears!

I like Polar Bears I do!

Mr Whippy - 22/12/09 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't have a problem with any pending disaster for mankind as I think we need a right good clear-out anyway. I do, however, get a little weepy about the plight of Polar Bears!

I like Polar Bears I do!

na their just savage seal murderers

smart51 - 22/12/09 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate.

Oh dear! There's so much wrong with this opinion it is tricky to know where to start. Man does not think it can control the climate. No-one has ever said this. Affecting something is not the same as controlling it. Since the invention of the steam engine, atmospheric CO2 levels have almost doubled. Temperatures have risen in line with the increase in CO2 levels. Aims to reduce CO2 output to limit temperature rise is not controlling the climate.

You do something. It affects something else badly. You stop doing the thing. Where's the arrogance in that?

MikeRJ - 22/12/09 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
No one is arguing that the temperature of the earth has fluctuated widly over the years - simply, this is the first time when we have fabricated evidence to show it is us making this change.

Fixed that for you!

smart51 - 22/12/09 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
As a radio DJ said once... if we are actually having an effect on the climate then there is nothing we can really do about it.

A radio DJ? You're quoting what a radio DJ says as somehow the truth? If we are affecting it by our actions the of course we can change what we're doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
The level we produce as a country is a drop in the ocean to china/india/etc and theyre only going to produce more.

Not true. We are one of the bad guys. We're not in the top 5 but that doesn't equate to a drop in the ocean. UK emissions per person are about 4 times higher than China's, they just have 20 times more people. Remember also that some of their pollution is making stuff for us so we are responsible for some of what they do.

MikeRJ - 22/12/09 at 02:33 PM

quote:
However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards).

Could you ask her why the temperature changes do not track CO2 levels without completely mangling the data, or why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

scootz - 22/12/09 at 02:40 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

I like Polar Bears I do!

na their just savage seal murderers

The Seals are asking for it as they murder lot's of fish! Fish are the Polar Bears friends.

jeffw - 22/12/09 at 03:35 PM

Central England Temperature series

From the Wikipedia article.....which specific piece of data indicates we are all doomed ? Maybe the hottest summer being 1976 (which I remember as we had a drought followed by a very hard winter) or the coolest year being 1740.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_England_temperature

HOTTEST

* The hottest year in the sequence was 2006 with a mean temperature of 10.82°C, a notable jump on the previous record, a tie between 1990 and 1999 with a mean of 10.63°C[3]
* The warmest spring (March, April, May) was in 1893 with a mean of 10.20°C, breaking the previous record of 9.73°C set in 1779.
* The hottest summer (June, July, August) was in 1976 with a mean of 17.77°C, breaking the previous record of 17.60°C set in 1826.
* The warmest autumn (September, October, November) was in 2006 with a mean of 12.62°C, breaking the previous record of 11.80°C set in 1730.
* The mildest winter (December, January, February) was in 1869 with a mean of 6.77°C, breaking the previous record of 6.53°C set in 1834.
* The mildest January was in 1916 with a mean of 7.5°C, breaking the previous record of 7.3°C set in 1796
* The mildest February was in 1779 with a mean of 7.9°C, breaking the previous record of 6.8°C set in 1739
* The warmest March was in 1957 with a mean of 9.2°C, breaking the previous record of 9.1°C set in 1938
* The warmest April was in 2007 with a mean of 11.2°C, breaking the previous record of 10.6°C set in 1865
* The warmest May was in 1833 with a mean of 15.1°C, breaking the previous record of 13.8°C set in 1758
* The hottest June was in 1846 with a mean of 18.2°C, breaking the previous record of 18.0°C set in 1676
* The hottest July was in 2006 with a mean of 19.7°C, breaking the previous record of 19.5°C set in 1983. July 2006 was also the hottest month in the series
* The hottest August was in 1995 with a mean of 19.2°C, breaking the previous record of 18.7°C set in 1975
* The warmest September was in 2006 with a mean of 16.8°C, breaking the record of 16.6°C set in 1729.
* The warmest October was in 2001 with a mean of 13.3°C, breaking the previous record of 13.0°C set in 1969
* The warmest November was in 1994 with a mean of 10.1°C, breaking the previous record of 9.5°C set in 1818
* The mildest December was in 1974 and 1934 with a mean of 8.1°C, breaking the previous record of 7.7°C set in 1852

COLDEST

* The coldest year was 1740 at a mean 6.84 °C.
* The coldest ever month was January 1795 with a mean temperature of -3.1°C.
* Despite the fact that 6 new hottest recorded months have been set in the last 15 years, 60 years have passed since the last time a coldest month record was broken, the coldest February in 1947 (mean temperature -1.9°C), breaking a record set in 1895.
* The coldest winter (December, January, February) was in 1684 with a mean of -1.17°C. The devastating winter centred on January 1963 was the 3rd coldest (mean -0.33°C).
* The coldest summer was in 1725 with a mean of 13.10°C.
* Four months still have records that were set in the 17th century (March, May, June and September).

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
However, the levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere are totally unprecedented for many thousands of years. These are warming the Earth and masking the natural cycles (e.g. the mentioned ice age we are apparently heading towards).

Could you ask her why the temperature changes do not track CO2 levels without completely mangling the data, or why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

This is my answer:

it does track it....!

I'll see if she can reply too!

Jasper - 22/12/09 at 04:07 PM

Yes, climate has changed before, it always has and always will - what is different this time is the RATE of change. It is MUCH faster now than would be the case if nature was taking it's normal course (unless we had a MASSIVE volcanic event or got hit by a meteorite).

And knowbody is arguing that the planet will survive humans probably short time on it, it will as will most other forms of life. But we are in at serious risk of buggering up our civilisations as we know it. So yes, there will be rats and cockroaches and most plants etc etc around whatever we do, but whether there will be a nice human civilisation like we know it now (or better) for our kids and their kids is a very different story, our way of life is very fragile indeed.

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 04:15 PM

Well put Jasper.....

jollygreengiant - 22/12/09 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I remember when I were a lad, being told by my primary school teacher that it was dangerous to walk out onto the ice that was on the sea in Swansea bay! That would have been around 1963...

Interestingly, even though it was VERY cold for quite a few weeks, cars and buses were still moving around the town.

The problem in the UK is that we're just not used to snow - other countries that get it every winter have developed techniques for dealing with it. For example, in some parts of Scandinavia they don't grit the roads - they just go over with a snow plough to move the bulk of it. Cars are expected/obliged to have winter tyres, and know how to drive in those conditions. I believe that fitting snow chains forms part of the driving test in some regions...

Yep 1963 . I remember that fondly. I lived down at Bognor Regis ( where I was born). The snow was wonderfully deep (NOT as bad as '49' I'm told tho). My mum took me for a winter walk down to the sea front. She even let me play (near to her on the snow on the beach (stones). Unfortunately it/I came unstuck when I found out that I was actually playing on the snow, on the ice, OVER the sea. Thankfully it wasn't deep, about a foot (the water that is) as I then went through the ice and my mum had to come and get me (only 4 at the time). The summer later was also I bellieve very hot (got bad sunburn all over apart from where my trunks were).

As for the cars coping, well the cars in those days all had skinny thin tyres (comparatively) that cut through the snow rather than the modern wide tyres that spread the load and sit on top of it. People also (mostly) traveled prepared for the snow with shovels, so that they could dig THEMSELVES out of trouble. I believe it was that winter when my father had to go and find one of my sisters who had not made contact. He had to litterally dig his way (with my brother) to her boyfriends house (about 10 miles) only to find her sitting comfortably infront of a warm fire with a phone box only 10 yards down the road.

Also over night people prepared for the next day by putting blankets over the screens and also (parafin) oil heaters under the sumps.

After that if you didn't have a car and public transport wasn't working then people reverted to shanksies pony and walked. To and from work (which for the most part was relatively local usually a max of 4 - 6 miles) also to and from school for which the staff usually lived in the same town as they were not at that time subject to abuse from the children and could meet out punishment unlike today.

Hang on I can feel a Four Yorkshiremen sketch coming on.......................................

Jasper - 22/12/09 at 04:19 PM

The big problem is with an arguement like this, by the time the climate change lobby gets to say 'I told you so' it'll be too late and what's left of us will be hiding out in some hovel somewhere dreaming of the good old days of electricity and cars and central heating!!

Jasper - 22/12/09 at 04:24 PM

quote:

why the other climate effects that can be found in peer reviewed journals are simply being ignored?

Everyone knows there's always two sides to a scientific argument, but it is very widely accepted by most experts in the field that humans are seriously affecting global temperatures. There will always be those that disagree, (often funded by organisations with a vested interest in the status quo) but it doesn't mean you (as a scientist) have to spend all your time refuting other peers arguments, they've probably got better things to do, like lobbying for change.

skinned knuckles - 22/12/09 at 04:40 PM

was the climate stable for the millions of years before the arrival of homosapien folk?
I was led to believe we have had a few ice ages and thaws inbetween. is it a bit far fetched to picture a pteranadon or stegosaurus sat at the controll desk of a coal fired power station or petrol refinary?
climate change is a natural event and has been going on since long before we arrived and i'm fairly sure will continue long after we are gone.
but until we are gone, we will do what we need to to adapt. we are the most intelegent species to set foot on earth and we have thrived.
I would also question the sea level rise claims. when i have a drink with ice in it and the ice melts, the contents have never spilled over the sides of my glass. why should our oceans be significantly different?
alternatives will be found for the internal combustion engine when the oil runs out. nuclear power stations will become more popular and the wind turbines that are popping up around our coast will become a more common site, giving rise to an increase to our depleating fish stocks by providing a "nursery" area for vulnerable young fish that the trawlers cannot get to.
in short, we will be fine for generations to come. humans can adapt and overcome most problems.

Jasper - 22/12/09 at 04:49 PM

My god, there are SO many things wrong with this argument I don't even know where to start....

Anybody else want a go???? I'm off home now .....

JoelP - 22/12/09 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles

I would also question the sea level rise claims. when i have a drink with ice in it and the ice melts, the contents have never spilled over the sides of my glass. why should our oceans be significantly different?

only floating ice will have no affect, so part of the north polar cap can be ignored. Southern cap is mostly on land, plus a touch extra from non polar glaciers. This will all run into the sea and drown you.

boggle - 22/12/09 at 04:57 PM

my theory..its the planets natural warming and cooling cycle...

i remember worse weather back in 87 i think....

maybe its all the hot air coming from the poloticians?

scootz - 22/12/09 at 04:59 PM

So a quick resume of our findings thus far:

Yes - climate change is a natural thing for the Earth.

Yes - modern lifestyle is probably quickening the process.

Yes - seals murder fish.

twybrow - 22/12/09 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
was the climate stable for the millions of years before the arrival of homosapien folk?
I was led to believe we have had a few ice ages and thaws inbetween. is it a bit far fetched to picture a pteranadon or stegosaurus sat at the controll desk of a coal fired power station or petrol refinary?
climate change is a natural event and has been going on since long before we arrived and i'm fairly sure will continue long after we are gone.
but until we are gone, we will do what we need to to adapt. we are the most intelegent species to set foot on earth and we have thrived.
alternatives will be found for the internal combustion engine when the oil runs out. nuclear power stations will become more popular and the wind turbines that are popping up around our coast will become a more common site, giving rise to an increase to our depleating fish stocks by providing a "nursery" area for vulnerable young fish that the trawlers cannot get to.
in short, we will be fine for generations to come. humans can adapt and overcome most problems.

Jasper - go right ahead. I was about to highlight some of the problems, but I thought why bother when he clearly hasn't read anything that was said before.... Sorry if that is not the case, but I am just calling it like I see it.

Skinned knuckles - a few things for you to think about:

1. Does all of the worlds ice float?
2. Nuclear power isn't renewable. Ultimately, it is not a solution.
3. Wind turbines are made from carbon, glass and resin (typically epoxy). These materials need considerable energy, and in some cases, oil itself to manufacture
4. Humans can adapt - but by the time enough people agree, adaptation might not be an option
5. Climate change is a natural occurence, but the rate and severity of the changes does not have to be - no one is claiming the climate doesn't change, it is what is causing it and what the effects could be that are being debated.

jeffw - 22/12/09 at 05:33 PM

There are significant number of zealots on either side of this 'debate' with the scientific community passing off computer predictions as scientific fact....which it isn't. This is the greatest job creation scheme in the history of the world.

Regardless of if I believe in 'Climate Change' or not (and, for the record. I don't, I believe it will be consigned to the same historical rubbish bin as Eugenics) there is an overriding issue which we will all have to face up to in the end.....

There are too many people...and we are increasing the population globally to an increasing rate. Because of our scientific advances we are able to stop diseases like Smallpox and reduce infant mortality rates. We are all living longer...but we are still producing children at the old, disease riddled, rates. This increased population needs more energy & other natural resources (water and food). Unless we reduce the worlds growth in population it doesn't matter a rat's arse what we do about "climate change" it will not make any difference.

The population of the UK was a stable (ish) 56-57 Million of most of the time since the 1960s until the late 1990s. We are now at 61Million and climbing. The recent immigrants to this country have many more children per family than the average om the UK and we will see population rise to 70+ Million before long. Regardless of what we do on CO2 emmissions we are fighting a loosing battle. Be prepared for wars over basic natural resources (Water, Food and various minerals) especially as the Oil runs out.

jollygreengiant - 22/12/09 at 05:46 PM

And finally......

The only way for the human race to save this planet is for us all to......................

Get the heck off of it and colonise Space.

But then the politicians and scientists will say we are killing space, backed by some specialist advisor, they will then tax us to death again. Just to justify there existence.

And in answer to the original question, this is just like I remember winters used to be. Nothing special.

Jasper - 22/12/09 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
There are significant number of zealots on either side of this 'debate' with the scientific community passing off computer predictions as scientific fact....which it isn't. This is the greatest job creation scheme in the history of the world.

This is the one that always makes me laugh, the argument that 'there's scientists on both side of the argument with equally valid facts and figures'.

Sorry, but this really isn't true - the VAST majority of climatologists and other related scientists all agree that human actions over the last 100 years are having a very significant effect on the worlds climate.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people who won't believe these experts or don't want to believe them for their own personal reasons (usually as it has a negative impact on the way they lead their lives or the lives of the people they govern).

Only hard proof will be enough for them, and by then it will be too late to do anything about it. It still does amaze me how many seemingly educated people stick their heads in the sand on this one.

And yes, humans may well come up with ways of combating the worse effects, but it will be the people in the richer countries who will benefit from this, and those in poorer countries - many of whom had very little impact on climate change in the first place, will be the ones to suffer - those living in flood plains in Bangladesh, or in already arid regions of Africa.

JoelP - 22/12/09 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

This is the one that always makes me laugh, the argument that 'there's scientists on both side of the argument with equally valid facts and figures'.

Sorry, but this really isn't true - the VAST majority of climatologists and other related scientists all agree that human actions over the last 100 years are having a very significant effect on the worlds climate.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people who won't believe these experts or don't want to believe them for their own personal reasons (usually as it has a negative impact on the way they lead their lives or the lives of the people they govern).

Only hard proof will be enough for them, and by then it will be too late to do anything about it. It still does amaze me how many seemingly educated people stick their heads in the sand on this one.

And yes, humans may well come up with ways of combating the worse effects, but it will be the people in the richer countries who will benefit from this, and those in poorer countries - many of whom had very little impact on climate change in the first place, will be the ones to suffer - those living in flood plains in Bangladesh, or in already arid regions of Africa.

+1

oldtimer - 22/12/09 at 07:09 PM

The most effective tool against global warming has got to be the condom.

flak monkey - 22/12/09 at 07:19 PM

There is a lot of divided opinion in the scientific community. Some like to say there isnt, but there really is. However those who are seen as being against the idea are generally suppressed whilst those that are for it get all the air time.

I have a copy of an interesting report compiled by a group of scientists (several 1000 of them), well respected in their fields, giving their own opinions as to whether or not global warming is affected by human activity or not. Its a very interesting read. I will try and find it (on my pc at work) tomorrow and upload it.

In the mean time, this and the links in it are rather interesting reading too

http://www.climatecheck.org/Notes_on_climate_change.pdf

By no means a peer reviewed paper, but interesting nontheless.

One final thing:
Global temps on average have actually fallen since 2000. Not widely publicised, but there have been some rather interesting articles in my IET mags about it giving both sides of the argument. Well presented and balanced.

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
There is a lot of divided opinion in the scientific community. Some like to say there isnt, but there really is. However those who are seen as being against the idea are generally suppressed whilst those that are for it get all the air time.

Not in the scientific community there isn't.... those that actualy do this professionally, rather than those who represent comapnies/organisations with a vested interest in denying any change is occuring. If there were so many conflicting views, you should be able to supply a fairly solid list of peer reviewed articles, that support your point. In your own words, you have one paper, which is not peer reviewed. Furthermore, the comment that ony those who agree are given any attention is quite a statement. Seeing as nore than 95% of the world climate scentists agree with the global warming theory, surely you expect the final 5% to be considerably less vocal. thinking purely on numbers, those who do not agree will publish 1 paper for every 20 produced by those who agree on climate change. Hardly supression, just honest figures really....

I would be interested to read the article if you manage to dig it out. The pdf you have linked to also raises some interesting points - and I will try to find the time to give it a good read.

One final point, you mention global temperatures falling... remember that 'weather' is defined as a 40 year average cycle, so looking at just the last 10 years would give either side a distorted view. It is climate being considered, not weather.

flak monkey - 23/12/09 at 11:12 AM

This is the file I was looking for:

http://kitcarservices.co.uk/Global%20Warming.pdf

400 scientists giving their views. I know its compiled by the US senate, but look past this into the info and it is quite interesting. There are also links within it to their peer reviewed articles.

There are plenty of peer reviewed articles and papers available, but they dont get a lot of publicity. Like I said there have been some very interesting articles giving a balanced view of both sides of the argument in the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology - formerly IMechE and IEE) magazines this year, the upshot was you could argue it either way. All written by climate experts well reviewed before being published by such an organisation.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by flak monkey]

Benzine - 23/12/09 at 11:36 AM

Here's a fun game:

All those adamant that man's actions will cause unprecedented changes (e.g. rising sea levels, adverse weather, failing crops, general chaos) answer the following:

1. Do you have oil/gas/fossil fuel fired central heating still?
2. Do you own a massive TV?
3. Are you still eating meat?
4. Is a large percentage of your food eaten hot (instead of eating a largely raw diet to save energy on boiling/heating water/food)
5. Do you drive a petrol/diesel car or have more than one car?
6. Do you go on holiday?
7. Do you run a fridge/freezer over winter?

Obviously the answer to the above will be 'no' to all questions, as you'll be doing your bit as best you can. Otherwise it'd be good old hypocrisy. Obviously you wouldn't be making a change, of say, just 10%, you'll be going all out.

"oh but I couldn't give all those things up! I need to go to work!" what's more important... a job or the potential obliteration of humanity?

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Here's a fun game:

All those adamant that man's actions will cause unprecedented changes (e.g. rising sea levels, adverse weather, failing crops, general chaos) answer the following:

1. Do you have oil/gas/fossil fuel fired central heating still?
2. Do you own a massive TV?
3. Are you still eating meat?
4. Is a large percentage of your food eaten hot (instead of eating a largely raw diet to save energy on boiling/heating water/food)
5. Do you drive a petrol/diesel car or have more than one car?
6. Do you go on holiday?
7. Do you run a fridge/freezer over winter?

Obviously the answer to the above will be 'no' to all questions, as you'll be doing your bit as best you can. Otherwise it'd be good old hypocrisy. Obviously you wouldn't be making a change, of say, just 10%, you'll be going all out.

"oh but I couldn't give all those things up! I need to go to work!" what's more important... a job or the potential obliteration of humanity?

For the purpose of this discussion, that is nothing more than an inflammatory comment, posted only to provoke a reaction. Many of thos epoints are valid whether you beleive in global warming or not - the fact is fossil fuel are finite, and sooner rather than later, we will run out of oil.

The discssusion wasn't on our personal commitments to reducing our energy consumption. Lets face it, we are on a website here that specializes in 'toy' cars, with no practical purpose other than fun.

Oh and Flak - looking past the 'Made in America' stamp is quite tricky, as this is from the same people that 'found' a link between 9/11 and Iraq and was produced under the Bush administration, who refuted virtually all climate change science. Still an interesting read for tonight!

[Edited on 23/12/09 by twybrow]

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 01:01 PM

quote:
This is the file I was looking for:

http://kitcarservices.co.uk/Global%20Warming.pdf

400 scientists giving their views. I know its compiled by the US senate, but look past this into the info and it is quite interesting. There are also links within it to their peer reviewed articles.

Flak - that pdf is a bit of a joke...! Have you seen the credentials of a lot of the 400? the so called expert 400 include: mining experts, nuclear power consultants, economists, virology experts, public health experts, etc etc. Not exactly where I would go for a second opinion on climate change/global warming.

flak monkey - 23/12/09 at 01:07 PM

I think your mind was made up before you opened it to be honest. Of course its biased to those against the idea, but then most is biased to those for the idea.

There also a lot of people cited who DO have a background in climatology and there are a lot of linked papers from it which make interesting reading.

ETA I would say the vast majority of those sources actually do have some experience. Its certainly the minority that you pointed out.

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 01:23 PM

So the US Senate, has searched the globe, for any credible sources who are willing to go on record as refuting the accepted thinking. And that list of 400 is the best that they could come up with? Don't get me wrong, it is interesting reading, so please forgive my rant, but this is just crazy....

To understand why Inhofe's claims are fundamentally wrong, consider the following scenario: imagine a child is diagnosed with cancer. Who are his parents going to take him to in order to determine the best course of treatment?

Most people would take the child to a specialist. Not just someone with a PhD in a technical subject, but an actual medical doctor. And not just any medical doctor, but someone who was a specialist in cancer. And not just any specialist in cancer, but someone who was a specialist in pediatric cancer. And, if possible, not just any pediatric oncologist, but someone who specialized in that particular type of cancer.

Expertise matters. Not everyone's opinion is equally valid (my own included!).

Do you honestly beleive that the US senate would choose to include such a random group of people if they had another way? Quite simply, there just aren't that many people out there with expert knowledge in a relavent area, who disagree with the majority and who are prepared to put their professional opinion in the public domaine.

And Flak - my mind was not and is still not made up, I am just calling it like I see it. There are some great points made in the report, but I am simply questioning the validity of some of the sources. It is a report written with the sole intention of discrediting others - this is hardly a balanced view.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by twybrow]

flak monkey - 23/12/09 at 01:29 PM

Like I said, I know its biased, but it provides and interesting list of linked articles and papers, mostly written by knowledgable people, presenting the other side of the discussion for those who want to read them.

Agreed not all the sources are ideal, but there are a vast number who are experienced in the field.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 01:44 PM

I think we agree to be honest. We take whatever information we can muster, but we must be aware of the limitations of the data source.

"When examined more closely, however, the Inhofe report was an amateurish fraud. Those 400 prominent scientists included more than 80 who had received funding either directly or indirectly from the oil and coal industries and more than 90 who had no scientific expertise in climate science, along with 49 retired scientists and 44 television weathermen." Sounds like someone was scraping the bottom of the barrel to me....

flak monkey - 23/12/09 at 01:47 PM

Yep, hence why you do have to be careful about blindly reading things.

Even if you take out the questionable sources, there's still alot of interesting reading material.

twybrow - 23/12/09 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Yep, hence why you do have to be careful about blindly reading things.

Even if you take out the questionable sources, there's still alot of interesting reading material.

You see - we agree perfectly....!

Benzine - 23/12/09 at 07:03 PM

quote:
The discssusion wasn't on our personal commitments to reducing our energy consumption.

oh cool that's convenient. i mean internet threads have always stayed 100% on topic in the past XD

twybrow - 24/12/09 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
The discssusion wasn't on our personal commitments to reducing our energy consumption.

oh cool that's convenient. i mean internet threads have always stayed 100% on topic in the past XD

...about as conventient as it has been for you to ignore the main concept of this discussion, and instead try to provoke a reaction. Well done you....

Benzine - 24/12/09 at 12:44 PM

Oh okay. In terms of climate change I believe that man's actions are tipping the scales. I'm not trying to provoke a reaction. I want to know what people are doing to make a difference.

If I got an illness that was fatal without treatment then I'd take the antibiotics/treatment. I wouldn't say "oh I should really take it" and not.

Jasper - 24/12/09 at 01:11 PM

Trouble is, what we do on a personal level has such a tiny impact, even the UK as a whole is a drop in the ocean compared to China/India etc.

I think as long as we do what's sensible, recycling, energy saving appliances/bulbs etc, more fuel efficient cars etc then it's ok, and it's something we should do even if we weren't affecting the climate, just to save money and resources.

MikeRJ - 26/12/09 at 04:41 PM

quote:
This is my answer:

it does track it....!

I'll see if she can reply too!

Sorry I didn't word my query very well...it's well known there is a correlation between CO2 levels and mean temperature, but what I want to see is proof of causality.

The temperature/CO2 data have been regularly 'adjusted' by zealots on either side of the argument to show whatever they want it to show.

RK - 26/12/09 at 10:19 PM

Just like in real, face to face conversations, the original topic is sometimes twisted and even forgotten, as people move around a discussion.

zilspeed - 26/12/09 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Just like in real, face to face conversations, the original topic is sometimes twisted and even forgotten, as people move around a discussion.

As the original poster, that's also my thoughts.
Apparently this is the worst winter - so far - that we've had in this part of the world for 20 years, again "apparently". The whole issue discussed further up the thread is bigger than any of us, but if what we're experiencing right now is any sort of indicator of how life would be if the North Atlantic Drift were to stop, we all in the UK have reason to be interested in the implications.
You're in Canada, where I imagine significant snowfall is rather more readily dealt with than it is here.

As I type, snowflakes the size of biscuits are falling here for the 7th day on the trot. It's a long time since I saw that around these parts. I'm sure it'll all be gone in a week and we'll all move on

RK - 26/12/09 at 11:04 PM

Yeah, I do hope it goes away, because for me, I can't tell if my car is running like crap because of the cold weather or just running like crap in general, and won't be able to confirm it til May!!

JoelP - 27/12/09 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Sorry I didn't word my query very well...it's well known there is a correlation between CO2 levels and mean temperature, but what I want to see is proof of causality.

how could you possibly prove it beyond doubt? You know how hard it was to 'prove' the link between smoking and cancer, indeed im not sure they have yet, beyond statistics.

You will not get 100% proof, so you have to decide if a majority verdict will do you. If it wont, you have to ask yourself why you are so keen not to believe it?

t.j. - 28/12/09 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

how could you possibly prove it beyond doubt? You know how hard it was to 'prove' the link between smoking and cancer, indeed im not sure they have yet, beyond statistics.

You will not get 100% proof, so you have to decide if a majority verdict will do you. If it wont, you have to ask yourself why you are so keen not to believe it?

Aha! So it's a believe= religion....
You know how it works:
Separation of church and state

So you think 350 years back the same equipment was used? And IF the climate really changed.
- Why not save the forest in Brasil.
- Help the poor so they can produce own food (and O2).
- etc

No tax, invest in our own researchers and CO2 trading that helpes.

Rob Palin - 28/12/09 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by t.j.

Aha! So it's a believe= religion....
You know how it works:
Separation of church and state

So you think 350 years back the same equipment was used? And IF the climate really changed.
- Why not save the forest in Brasil.
- Help the poor so they can produce own food (and O2).
- etc

No tax, invest in our own researchers and CO2 trading that helpes.

To compare the acceptance of >90% confidence in a conclusion drawn from experimental data is not the same as having faith in a religion. Faith is continued belief in the absence of evidence (or against evidence to the contrary).

I wish it was possible for this whole subject to extract out the hyperbole, spin and political gamesmanship and just rest on the science. Crucially it is science that it the biggest loser from all this arguing as people are turning their backs on it in the mistaken belief that it cannot be trusted and that uninformed opinion is somehow equally valid.