Board logo

Recording video from DV camcorder to iMac
donut - 15/3/10 at 06:56 PM

Hi All

Hope someone can help. I recently bought a Sony dcr-pc8e Handy Cam Camcorder and i want to connect it to my iMac so i can do a spot of video editing. The camcorder has DV output plus S-Video and one that goes to the VCR (remember them!) that splits to 3 different jacks, red, white and yellow.

Am i right in thinking that i need a DV to firewire cable? Will iMovie be ok to capture the video?

JonnyS - 15/3/10 at 07:12 PM

Yes DV to firewire. Make sure you get the right cable as I think from memory there's Firewire 400 and 800?

I use iMovie and it's fine.

donut - 15/3/10 at 07:33 PM

Great thanks, i think my iMac is 400 but not sure, i will have to check somehow. It's 15 months old.

craig1410 - 15/3/10 at 11:21 PM

Your iMac should have both FW400 and FW800 if it's only 15 months old. Mine is 3 years old come August and it has both. Regarding iMovie, if you can't get done what you want to do then you can always download a copy of the older iMovie HD program. Apple offer it as a free download because to begin with there were things that iMovie 08 couldn't do and some people were complaining that iMovie 06 was better etc. iMovie 09 is probably a bit better and 08 and 09 are certainly easier to use than 06 but just be aware that you can get 06 if you need it.

I've done a couple of Cine to DVD projects for my Dad so I have a working knowledge of iMovie if you need help. I'm sure there are others here with better knowledge of it though to be fair.

Craig.

geoff shep - 16/3/10 at 08:53 PM

Apple no longer offer imovie 06 as a download - since the release of ilife 09 I think. It is still available elsewhere on the web.

donut - 18/3/10 at 01:47 PM

Thnx guy's

I looked on the back of my iMac and found 2 odd looking sockets so i guess this is the firewire ports! I'll order a 400 cable and see how i get on.

I have made a few movies using iMovie and it is pretty good. Can you zoom into areas on parts of the movie and do slow motion ? If not i may need to get a better bit of software.

Thanks