Board logo

OT: Home curtain rail
matt.c - 6/3/11 at 08:41 AM

Morning

I have been getting the spare bedroom ready for for my new baby boy. Now its time to mount the curtain rail to the wall. Simple you would think? But when we had the extension (extra bedroom) they didnt fit a battern rail above the window?

Is the battern just a thing from the past or should there be one fitted?

Should i just screw the curtain rail to the wall without the battern? Im a bit worried about being able to mount it near or on the metal lintle in the wall.

What do you guys think?

Thanks locosters

Matt

MakeEverything - 6/3/11 at 08:47 AM

Youre likely to hit the lintel when you drill into the wall. I had exactly the same problem with blinds.

I think i would look at installing a wodden batten above the window aperture, to fir the curtain rail to that. You can glue and screw it to the wall using some 1.5" 10's and no-nails depending on thickness of course.

austin man - 6/3/11 at 08:52 AM

Make sure you use the corect plugs there may be a small void behind the plaster board so I would drill with a small drill and test for resistance if none then go for the screw in plasterboard plugs in mu oppinion these are the better type

Ben_Copeland - 6/3/11 at 08:57 AM

Self Drill Plasterboard Fixings (if theres space) and a decent no nails will hold the batten up no problem.

I wouldnt use normal Rawl Plugs for plasterboard they pull out too easy.

matt.c - 6/3/11 at 09:04 AM

This site is bl**dy brilliant!!! It never fails with any questions

Thanks guys. The batterns in the other rooms are 6 inches longer each side of the window. Are they made slightly longer than the lintle so you can screw the ends and glue the middle? Or is it just how they are?

Ben_Copeland - 6/3/11 at 09:07 AM

The lintel will be at least 150mm longer than the window either side as its building spec.

so its probably just styling

matt.c - 6/3/11 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Youre likely to hit the lintel when you drill into the wall. I had exactly the same problem with blinds.

I think i would look at installing a wodden batten above the window aperture, to fir the curtain rail to that. You can glue and screw it to the wall using some 1.5" 10's and no-nails depending on thickness of course.

What are these 1.5" 10's ?

Sorry if it sounds stupid?

Ben_Copeland - 6/3/11 at 09:16 AM

1.5 inch long screws. no. 10 screw size

Peteff - 6/3/11 at 09:19 AM

Fit a blind inside the window reveal, it's the future.

matt.c - 6/3/11 at 09:20 AM

Ok thanks.

Now off to B&Q

matt.c - 6/3/11 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

Allready have but SWMBO wants curtains for the look.

Flamez - 6/3/11 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

Allready have but SWMBO wants curtains for the look.

Unless you have tilt and turn windows....

Confused but excited. - 6/3/11 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
This site is bl**dy brilliant!!! It never fails with any questions

Thanks guys. The batterns in the other rooms are 6 inches longer each side of the window. Are they made slightly longer than the lintle so you can screw the ends and glue the middle? Or is it just how they are?

They are longer than the window so that the curtains don't leave a gap at the side that someone can see through.
And before I get pilloried; yes I know he may be talking about an upstairs window, but he may also live in a bungalow. Anyway it applies to all windows.

JoelP - 6/3/11 at 06:02 PM

i think curtains need to be at least 6" wider (each side) than the window reveal to properly stop light coming round.

With this in mind, your curtain rail might be wider than the lintel anyway.