Board logo

CAD Software Choices.....
beagley - 30/3/11 at 05:42 PM

I've been playing around with a few different CAD programs finally settled on using Alibre Design. It's fairly straight forward and easy to use and provides me with the functionality that I need, but what kinds of CAD software do you lot use? (probably should have asked this prior to my purchase, but 20/20 hindsight and all)

I would like to mess around and make my own chassis for the fun of it. Since I don't currently have the space to build a locost yet I can build one virtually at least.

Beags

PSpirine - 30/3/11 at 05:57 PM

Solidworks for me - just a hobby, I'm not pro by any stretch of the imagination.

Mal - 30/3/11 at 06:10 PM

I have just purchased Alibre too.

Guinness - 30/3/11 at 06:14 PM

AutoCAD, but it's the industry standard. Been considering having a bit of a play with Revit next.

SeaBass - 30/3/11 at 06:15 PM

Pro|ENGINEER / Creo Elements WF5 I'm a Teacher Trainer. The schools edition is very good. I think you can download a training version legally these days for free.

JC

SeanStone - 30/3/11 at 06:30 PM

I'm most familiar with solidworks but I also make use of autocad and catia

beagley - 30/3/11 at 06:53 PM

I have a copy of Autocad from uni but I haven't spent the time necessary to develop 3d parts in it. I can still crank out some 2d parts pretty easily.

I'm hoping that I can build my car with all the different parts prior to actually "building" my car. Plus it would help me know what lengths I need half shafts/drive shafts cut and whatnot.

Those of you that have designed some random parts are they your trade secrets or can you upload some pictures?

I'm going to make my first part an intake manifold for the 2.0L duratec engines, using all the stuff I learned in my "Supercharged!" book. We'll see how it turns out.

Beags

eddie99 - 30/3/11 at 07:01 PM

Use to be solidworks, now Catia

Confused but excited. - 30/3/11 at 07:03 PM

'Cos I'm old and stupid, I do all my 2D stuff in Microsoft Office Visio.

MikeCapon - 30/3/11 at 07:23 PM

I'm old and stupid too but I find I can do a lot more damage with SolidWorks

balidey - 30/3/11 at 07:30 PM

been using Solidworks since 1997

wescottishmatt - 30/3/11 at 07:41 PM

Another vote for Solidworks. Been using it since 2001 at work. Check my photo archive for some images. Used it for basic colour schemes before I started my build.