Board logo

Has anyone had experience of this type of boiler
mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 07:16 PM

OK Need a new boiler asap

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/boilers/boiler-service/boiler-range/ecogen.html

is this any good? I like the stirling engine idea

Are british gas as an installer a good idea ?

splitrivet - 16/1/12 at 07:32 PM

Now that looks the dogs, BG will charge through the nose for fitting it though.
Cheers,
Bob

r1_pete - 16/1/12 at 07:47 PM

No experience of that boiler, but, as an installer British Gas will probably subco the work, they are however very expensive.

Might be worth shopping round local installers for someone to do you a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch Boiler and compare prices.

JoelP - 16/1/12 at 08:02 PM

British gas are very expensive and they do, due to numbers, still have some bad fitters. Youd hate to pay top whack and still risk a bad job. Ideally you want a local recommendation. Chap i use is a true master, not the fastest but knows the job inside out.

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 08:16 PM

The bill will be split in two

MikeRJ - 16/1/12 at 08:43 PM

"1kW is enough to power ten 20W light bulbs, your TV, computer and washing machine"

That must be the lowest energy washing machine in the world!

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 08:49 PM

Joel I have a fitter that does private work but I will have to use a company as the situation is some one will be picking up their half of the bill.

Furyous - 16/1/12 at 09:07 PM

What price are people talking about when they say British Gas are expensive? We've recently been quoted £2,200 for an install by a local company, including the cost of the boiler.

perksy - 16/1/12 at 09:29 PM

Had a quote from Britsh gas when we swopped our boiler and it was £3500
Had the same spec worcester boiler fitted by a local Gas registered plumber and it was £2000

A said above they usually subby the work out anyway

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 09:29 PM

Im all ears

big-vee-twin - 16/1/12 at 09:36 PM

Thats the Baxi eco gen it generates a kilowatt of electricity every hour the heating is on. The Stirling enegine is rated at 8kw I think and all up its a 24kw boiler.

The stirling engine acts as lead and the gas boiler as top up.

You can claim feed in tariff if it is installed by an MCS approved installer.

They are quite noisey howver so need to be installed out of the way.

We tend to specify them for people who have swimming pools as the stirling engine runs all the time offsetting pool losses and generating the maximum tariff.

Quite expensive think they are around £5k

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 09:47 PM

If its a baxi that rules it out end of>>>> Ive suffered with a baxi antartica (Barcelona) every winter .....it fails

zilspeed - 16/1/12 at 09:59 PM

British gas are expensive.

I've seen loads of £3.5K quotes from them back when we still did grants for heating.

Local guys were usually around the £1,800 mark for the same spec.
There are those who will do it cheaper, but that's without a powerflush etc.

Our ancient Ideal Elan practically falls of the bottom of the SEDBUK efficiency rating chart, but I'm loathe to get rid of it. It just works. Unlike some of the modern sh17e which breaks after a handful of years.

I suppose we'll have to bit the bullet eventually.

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
British gas are expensive.

I've seen loads of £3.5K quotes from them back when we still did grants for heating.

Local guys were usually around the £1,800 mark for the same spec.
There are those who will do it cheaper, but that's without a powerflush etc.

Our ancient Ideal Elan practically falls of the bottom of the SEDBUK efficiency rating chart, but I'm loathe to get rid of it. It just works. Unlike some of the modern sh17e which breaks after a handful of years.

I suppose we'll have to bit the bullet eventually.

Mine has lasted 8 years and had as many breakdowns BAXI POO

daviep - 16/1/12 at 10:12 PM

Baxi are awsome, I've got the super simple but super efficent burnall version. It extracts 3 times the heat of conventional boilers.

Heat extraction cycle:
1: Cut logs - 1st heat
2: Split and stack logs - 2nd heat
3: Burn logs - 3rd heat

Ya see 3 times the heat from each log.

Davie

snapper - 16/1/12 at 10:30 PM

British gas are doing boiler deals right now, I have insurance with them and can't complain.
You can pickup boilers for £700 or less fitting should only take a day or two,
A whole central heating system should only be £3500.

steve m - 16/1/12 at 10:41 PM

NO !

it looks like a BMW varient

Over priced
over rated
over here

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/1/12 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
British gas are doing boiler deals right now, I have insurance with them and can't complain.
You can pickup boilers for £700 or less fitting should only take a day or two,
A whole central heating system should only be £3500.

Just need a boiler but read somewhere they dont like plastic pipes in the ch system

Baxi have a very poor reputation for long service with out feeding them expensive parts

Marcus - 17/1/12 at 12:35 AM

As long as there's no plastic within 1 metre of the boiler, you'll be fine.

leftfield - 17/1/12 at 08:10 AM

thats a micro chp unit, Baxi are now a part of BDR, Baxi, De Deitrich, Remeha.Andrews water heaters are part of the same group and I think its being sold through them but with a Baxi badge,
I've seen that unit working in Remehas factory in Holland.It is very heavy! Must be fitted on a solid wall,IIRC there are only 3 or 4 fitted in the UK so far, your gas bills will go up slightly but your electricity bills will plummet.
Also quite noisy, I can get you more details if you like.
On the subject of boilers, we fit replacement boilers with a power flush for between 2.5 -3.5k depending on spec, new systems ,again dependant on spec for between 3.5-5k, usually at least 1-1.5k less than BG.
Fitted a Worcester oil fired combi last week but havent fired it yet,179kg , fun getting that in a cupboard. They can be supplied as an external model so freeing up more space in the garage for man toys.

TimEllershaw - 17/1/12 at 10:26 AM

Some more views here : Clicky

later posts have some "real world" figures.

mangogrooveworkshop - 17/1/12 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
Some more views here : Clicky

later posts have some "real world" figures.

Thanks