Board logo

Railing paint - suggestions?
martyn1137 - 21/4/12 at 11:46 AM

Anyone recommend a good paint for steel railings?

At the entrance to the drive for our development are some railings and gates. They were painted when new in 2005 and this finish has weathered very well. Only now is a little rust creeping through and the paint degrading. The original paint was I think a marine paint but as no one kept any details at the time I can't trace it.

Revert to basic Hammerite or has anyone knowledge of anything superior?

Thanks

mrwibble - 21/4/12 at 11:57 AM

I liked to finish of Rustoleum.

britishtrident - 21/4/12 at 12:29 PM

Wash with Phosphoric Acid solution to get rid of rust stains (you can buy cheaply off ebay)
Use light spray of zinc rich paint on rusty bits.
Then Hammerite or whatever you choose.

cliftyhanger - 21/4/12 at 05:11 PM

I suspect a marine paint may well be an excellent choice. Not the cheapest, but should last longer than others. But do prep any rust well, as suggested above.

And I would definitely not use hammerite, it is nothing like it was 10 years ago (or was it more?)

stevebubs - 21/4/12 at 05:27 PM

will POR15 work here?

907 - 21/4/12 at 06:13 PM

I've used stuff from Rain Guard.

Paul G

rusty nuts - 22/4/12 at 07:36 AM

POR15 is so much better than Hammerite

cliftyhanger - 22/4/12 at 07:43 AM

But the por stuff is not resistant to UV light and fades. Needs to be overcoated with another paint, maybe they do a topcoat too?

rusty nuts - 22/4/12 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
But the por stuff is not resistant to UV light and fades. Needs to be overcoated with another paint, maybe they do a topcoat too?

It's called Hardnose IIRC but they also do a sealer so it can be covered by any sort of paint?
My front hubs were painted in Hammerite which was always chipping off , the POR15/Hardnose was done about 3 years ago and shows no signs of chipping. It also dries with very few brush marks