Board logo

Shaving with a razor; soap, foam, gel or...
sebastiaan - 30/7/13 at 05:36 PM

So, where do we stand on this? I'm a long time opponent of electrical shavers (itchy, nasty things!) so I use the gilette-type handheld razors.

As for lube (ooh, err...) I've tried the fairly traditional mousse from a can, gel from a can that becomes mousse (same stuff?) and for the last few years a bit thicker stuff from a tube. I might just go completely oldschool and use soap and brush but am wondering if it is really worthwhile.

Your preferences and opinions required!

Thanks!

Simon - 30/7/13 at 05:44 PM

Soap.

But then I shave once a week at most - call it an evolutionary thing

ATB

Simon

mark chandler - 30/7/13 at 05:47 PM

Do not bother with a brush, just lather simple soap on my face and scrape away with a razor.

Wadders - 30/7/13 at 05:49 PM

King of Shaves gel, comes in a squeezy plastic tube.

bi22le - 30/7/13 at 05:49 PM

Watch out, this is a car forum and the locost police will be along soon to remind you!!

Gel for me, by far the most comfortable for my snesitive skin.

I also have a baby face, once a week for me!

cliftyhanger - 30/7/13 at 05:58 PM

soap, no brush.
Best after a hit shower too.

soap is best as it works with the hairs and water

jps - 30/7/13 at 06:00 PM

don't get on with shaving very well, so electric is no good for me, getting sick of the cost of mach 3 blades so have recently gone for a traditional safety razor with replaceable blades. soap and a brush seemed a logical next step!

apart from having to do several ' passes' to get a decent shave it does seen a good solution and it certainly qualifies as locost!

Worzey - 30/7/13 at 06:04 PM

I like driving immediately after a very close wet shave to maximize the power to weight ratio.

nick205 - 30/7/13 at 06:11 PM

Hate shaving any which way, which is why I grew a beard!

loggyboy - 30/7/13 at 06:14 PM

Nivea men sensitive gel, comes out exactly the same as foam when aggetated, but can last 3 times as long. All done IN the shower when hair is nice and soft. Combined with Gillette mk3 blades.

[Edited on 30-7-13 by loggyboy]

owelly - 30/7/13 at 06:15 PM

King of Shaves Oil for me and disposables. I got fed up of swmbo hacking away at her topiary with my expensive blades so resorted to the good old Bic!

jossey - 30/7/13 at 06:16 PM

King of shaves oil

coozer - 30/7/13 at 06:17 PM

I have a heavy growth which could do with being done twice a day!

Anyways, got a Phillips electric that knocks the top off for a couple hours and I use a Gillette Fusion vibrating thing in the shower.

For some reason I find this is OK as long as I've left the shampoo on my head while I do it.. Not using shampoo or rinsing it off before the razer is agony...

liam.mccaffrey - 30/7/13 at 06:25 PM

I never really shaved for years and years....then started work at an oil refinery w.here we have to shave every day.
For me it's foam from a can and a mach3
Nothing beats it.

Mr C - 30/7/13 at 06:42 PM

Don't bother unless I'm on a beach holiday then king of shaves and decent disposable, otherwise stubble trimmer shortest setting all over, head, chin, everything, when I can be arsed.

Agriv8 - 30/7/13 at 06:58 PM

Gel and leave it to soften bristles while cleaning teeth, shave with Gillette

ATB agriv8

sebastiaan - 30/7/13 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I use a vibrating thing in the shower.

For some reason I find this is OK as long as I've left the shampoo on my head while I do it.. Not using shampoo or rinsing it off before the razer is agony...

Do yo, really?

Intrigued about this shaving oil stuff. What is it? Have never seen it before over here (NL). Good to see at least one of us is doing it properly locost with the old style blades!

Davey D - 30/7/13 at 07:03 PM

I just use shower gel whilst I'm in the shower to shave with

Jon Ison - 30/7/13 at 07:19 PM

Just to clarify before I vote, facial or Brazilian?

sebastiaan - 30/7/13 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Just to clarify before I vote, facial or Brazilian?

Nothing's "off limits" here, is it? Had almost forgotten how bonkers this place is!

Face. Of course.

TheGiantTribble - 30/7/13 at 07:24 PM

Personally I hate shaving, but the best way I have found with least irritation is

One of them multi bladed shavers, replace the replaceable heads regularly, and Hair conditioner (cheepo stuff) best lube (for shaving) ever

iank - 30/7/13 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
King of Shaves gel, comes in a squeezy plastic tube.

Menthol gel for me. Tried the oil but didn't really get on with it, but I do leave it a day or three between shaves so need the extra lubrication (oooer).

Best thing you can get (IMO) is one of these http://www.shaving-shack.com/merkur-futur-760-safety-razor-with-satin-chrome-finish.html (once you get the hang of it) not cheap but the blades last forever and are much cheaper than the gillette £5 for a bit of plastic with some cheap steel blades embedded and the shave is far better. Over a year or two you save a lot of money.

ETA a couple of quid cheaper here
http://www.mankind.co.uk/merkur-futur-brushed-steel-razor/10363652.html

[Edited on 30/7/13 by iank]

coozer - 30/7/13 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
quote:

Do yo, really?

Yep, jam it up me backside to take me mind off the scraper...

David Jenkins - 30/7/13 at 07:51 PM

When I was about 16 or 17 I decided that shaving was a stupid way to start a morning... I've had a beard ever since! (I'm nearly 61)

I do use an electric beard trimmer though...

snakebelly - 30/7/13 at 07:55 PM

Brush and soap and a mach3, i also shave against the grain which I'm told is bad but its always worked for me. On special occasions i also break out the straight razor but although its shaves me closer than anything else its a faff and takes ages as i don't use it often enough and subsequently I'm very very cautious with it!

Xtreme Kermit - 30/7/13 at 08:01 PM

I used to use electric shavers but got fed up with rechargables dieing on me.

I now use a shaving oil, topped by king of shaves gel and use a gillette fusion vibrating razor thing. Finish off with a post shave balm and it's the best shave I've ever had.

jps - 30/7/13 at 08:19 PM

This it's what I am using at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Weishi-Chrome-Plated-Butterf ly-Shaving/dp/B005HMNW2Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

benchmark51 - 30/7/13 at 08:20 PM

I used to pinch whatever the wife was using but now she's gone I don't bother at all. Just trim as
much as I can with scissors.

ed1max - 30/7/13 at 08:27 PM

quote:
So, where do we stand on this? I'm a long time opponent of electrical shavers (itchy, nasty things!) so I use the gilette-type handheld razors.

As for lube (ooh, err...) I've tried the fairly traditional mousse from a can, gel from a can that becomes mousse (same stuff?) and for the last few years a bit thicker stuff from a tube. I might just go completely oldschool and use soap and brush but am wondering if it is really worthwhile.

Your preferences and opinions required!

Thanks!

In the words of Tony Hancock Cold Steel and the badger

Andi - 30/7/13 at 09:02 PM

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Original-Source-Men-Cooling-Shave-Gel-with-Black-Mint/48417011?sku=48417011&dnr=y

For me

Andi

Hector.Brocklebank - 30/7/13 at 09:04 PM

Personally I just like to see the guy who tries to get a "mouse" out of a can to use it to shave with, maybe its a Dutch thing!!

mookaloid - 30/7/13 at 09:20 PM

Best there is apply with a brush - shave with a Gilette of some sort

UncleFista - 30/7/13 at 09:40 PM

I like an adjustable razor, I don't like a shave so close it feels like I've had a local anaesthetic

Scuzzle - 30/7/13 at 10:00 PM

I detest shaving but it has to be done. I also detest Gillette as a company, every time they bring out a new razor with more blades and gimmicks I fall for it even though you just get the exact same shave. The amount they charge us for something that cost them pennies to make is ridiculous.

I'm a wet shave guy, gel and the detestable Gillette Mach 3, I prefer shaving in the shower though, after showering the stubble softens up and shaves off easier with less razor burn plus if I do manage to nick myself it's usually stopped by the time I get out so no toilet roll paper patches for me.

ReMan - 30/7/13 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Do not bother with a brush, just lather simple soap on my face and scrape away with a razor.

+1 In shower, after soaking

splitrivet - 30/7/13 at 10:51 PM

Duckhams 20/50
Cheers,
Bob

craig1410 - 30/7/13 at 11:34 PM

Gillette gell for sensitive skin, in the shower with Mach 3 blades. Very effective and generally blood free.

But

The cost of blades is scandalous

So

I'd love to get hold of something like this

http://www.harrys.com

Disposable blades with old school shaving. Nice!

nick205 - 31/7/13 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
Don't bother unless I'm on a beach holiday then king of shaves and decent disposable, otherwise stubble trimmer shortest setting all over, head, chin, everything, when I can be arsed.

Ditto, it been to a barber's for 20+ years.

Clippers on grade 1 or 2 all over for me depending on mood.

skov - 31/7/13 at 08:03 AM

Despite being temptingly locost, the 8 for £1 disposable razors from poundland are not a bargain.
Turns out you need to spend more than 12.5 pence per razor to avoid ripping your face to shreds...

jossey - 31/7/13 at 11:49 AM

I swear by the oil. It's the only one I can use to help reduce razor rash.

You use 2 tiny drops which you leave for a few mins to soften the hair and it spikes it or feels that way.

Really good.

quote:
quote:

Do yo, really?

Intrigued about this shaving oil stuff. What is it? Have never seen it before over here (NL). Good to see at least one of us is doing it properly locost with the old style blades!

swanny - 31/7/13 at 01:56 PM

spent years shaving once every three to four days and suffering with shaving rash until i got a new 'smart job' where i had to be clean shaven all the time.

skin seemed to get used to regular shaving and shaving rash went away. now though just use a rechargeable electric, easy to do it whilst the kettle is boiling in the morning. no foams, gels, balm. very locost

Simon - 31/7/13 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

The cost of blades is scandalous

Yep - I made a packet of five blades last nearly 2 1/2 years but was nearly scraping the hair off my face

ATB

Simom

l0rd - 1/8/13 at 06:28 AM

I use a Mach 3 turbo Gilette razor.

I never used gel or anything else to shave.

Quick shower and then a shave just with water.

Takes me less than 30 sec and do it every couple of days if I am not bored

Ninehigh - 1/8/13 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Nivea men sensitive gel, comes out exactly the same as foam when aggetated, but can last 3 times as long. All done IN the shower when hair is nice and soft. Combined with Gillette mk3 blades.

[Edited on 30-7-13 by loggyboy]

Same here, although shaving in the shower for me often results in blood because I'm not properly looking at what I'm doing in the misted up mirror.

Electric razors just make me feel like I've just got up for the whole day, no idea why (same with not shaving)

I also go through ebay for my Mach3 blades, iirc if you can get them for £1 a blade or less it's cheaper than supermarkets. Then again I've also got a safety razor and find it pretty much the same, only I get a little bit of a burn from it

motorcycle_mayhem - 1/8/13 at 08:47 AM

She's tried most things (creams mainly, Veet, etc.) but her beard growth is now not far off mine. The creams caused a lot of red skin, irritation and (some) bleeding.... quite horrid. She now shaves with my razors, which are the supermarket double bladed (for advanced clogging) blue ones, with higher quality supermarket branded foam (hello Vera).

T66 - 1/8/13 at 08:59 AM

My mixture of grey and ginger bum fluff shaves off no problem every other day. Don't need too every day thankfully.

If I go more than 3 days the stubble is solid and hurst scraping it off. Never shave in the morning as my face is too sensitive, always shave afternoons or nights.

I tried Movember and my god the itch was horrendous, shaved it off 3 weeks in at 3am. If I could take a pill to avoid shaving I would.

Gillette 4 bladed thing
Gel.

With an emergency (the boss is coming) electric jobby in my locker at work.

Mr Whippy - 1/8/13 at 12:02 PM

Shaving is boring and makes your face feel cold in the wind especially in winter, most of the time I can't be bothered and the wife fancy's Wolferine so no worries

I'd like to grow a huge hairy biker beard but that might be pushing it with the missus

foskid - 1/8/13 at 12:06 PM

I have a vintage Rolls razor and a Wilkinsons quantum razor just for daily use, for lube I have used Johnson's Baby shampoo for years, it works great with no fuss, just a couple of drops and its gentle on the skin. Try it and its locost as well.

alistairolsen - 5/8/13 at 06:43 PM

Gillette gel and wilkinson sword quattro titanium razor, in the shower. Who needs a mirror?