Board logo

Wish me luck (work related)
bi22le - 24/3/14 at 10:17 PM

A lot of hard work is hopefully going to come to an end tomorrow when I go for my Incorporated Engineer interview at IPEM (Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine). Im not at Chartership level yet but this is a big step. I wont find out the results untill June I think.

Its hard writing about 8 years of your work career and trying to describe the sorts of things you do for work especially in an industry so obscure (wheelchairs and special seating design). I also have many fingers in many pies to gain as much experience as possible so pulling it all together has been hard.

I have gone about this very unorthodox as I bailed my A'levels, studied part time for my HNC in Engineering and was lucky to land my job but I have kept up the effort to try and get to the top.

If I am a success story then I hope to inspire some of you others that hate their job and want to do something more interesting. Thats how I felt and commonly tell myself "If I dont like something then change it!". If I am not successful this time, it wont knock me back. I am still studying at OU and gaining great experience and will resubmit my application within months.

Fingers crossed please!

femster87 - 24/3/14 at 10:24 PM

Good luck mate, as long as you have detailed proof of what you have written down you should be fine. Just writing my reports for chartership (ICheme). TBH I don't know if I am ready.

nick205 - 24/3/14 at 10:41 PM

Good luck bizzle, although it sounds like you've been putting in the effort.

Keep us posted good or bad ;-)

zilspeed - 24/3/14 at 11:15 PM

I'm not sure there's such a thing as orthodox any more.

I took a long time to go from Tradesman, to BSc graduate to Chartered Status in my chosen profession.

It's all about sticking with it.

bi22le - 29/4/14 at 08:26 PM

Just incase people were interested or wanted an update. . . I am in there like swimware!!!!

I received a confirmation email on monday saying that my application process was successful and that i need to now pay £120 in fees. Lucky mt company will pay. Woo hoo!!

I am now a ligitimate engineer and not a charlatan!!

zilspeed - 29/4/14 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Just incase people were interested or wanted an update. . . I am in there like swimware!!!!

I received a confirmation email on monday saying that my application process was successful and that i need to now pay £120 in fees. Lucky mt company will pay. Woo hoo!!

I am now a ligitimate engineer and not a charlatan!!

Well done.

I totally understand the significance of it after having gone through a similar process to become chartered.

Enjoy the fact that you've passed.