Board logo

Music in me garage/cave
Simon - 30/12/14 at 10:57 PM

Folks,

I'm after a music system for my garage - ideally proper speakers, decent watts and cd (mp3/turntable etc via aux), dab and fm capabilities all required.

Prefer all in one (with separate speakers), so what are your suggestions? Up to a couple of hundred quids please.

Ta v much

ATB

Simon

coozer - 30/12/14 at 11:06 PM

When the lad moved out I routed the sky cables and box into the garage and used it for absolute classic rock!

Anyways now the lad has given us a grand bairn the cable and box has been routed back into the house so she can watch tiny pops... Doh!!

So, went over to HiFi tower and bought a bleep off PA for the front room. That'll teach her!

Slimy38 - 30/12/14 at 11:07 PM

I'd go for a pair of bookshelf speakers, about £20 worth from Richer Sounds. Some form of Rotel amp off Ebay, maybe £30 if you're patient with bidding. I'd then drive it with a smartphone or other similar Android device hooked up to wifi.

The only reason why I suggest that is because I've got a very similar setup!

mark chandler - 30/12/14 at 11:08 PM

I,ve got a full size jambox, run spotify on my iPhone and bluetooth to it.

https://jawbone.com/speakers/jambox

They are great, the internal batteries last all day and it's good quality loud. I was very surprised how good it is.

ashg - 31/12/14 at 04:26 AM

I have got a Cambridge audio amp and a Cambridge audio dab tuner and a Cambridge Audi DVD player(plays mp3 cds, cds too)going spare if your interested?

Tuner unit is black the others silver but they sound nice together. Can't remember models without having a look. Would be after about £70 for the lot.

Ugg10 - 31/12/14 at 07:29 AM

As others have said, cheap ebay amp (rotel, marantz, Cambridge), book shelf speakers (b&w, mission) and a phone/tablet dock or usb-phono wire plus use a Web radio app and Spotify, no need for cds all on there, free if you dont mind adverts or pay for the premium version.

theduck - 31/12/14 at 09:03 AM

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/deno-dm39-sil

Plus a decent pair of speakers, job done.

bi22le - 31/12/14 at 09:11 AM

I have a load of retro car audio stuff. I'll be making up custom boxes and using a PC voltage supply to create something car orientated and unique!

jossey - 31/12/14 at 09:18 AM

Go with the Cambridge audio stuff I use that. I use Bluetooth usb thing for attaching my phone.. Cost £4 on e bay

Oldaker - 31/12/14 at 12:23 PM

I have a TV in the garage. Old portable set no longer used in the house and a spare freeview box ( the house TV's all have freeview built in ) Cheap aerial from Screwfix mounted on the outside of the garage and I can have full range of channels including the radio ones.

Barkalarr - 31/12/14 at 12:52 PM

I e got a pair of Denon bookshelf speakers sitting unused in my loft if you're interested before they go on ebay.

ceebmoj - 31/12/14 at 03:38 PM

I got a mini system from freecycle that does the job.

Slimy38 - 31/12/14 at 03:51 PM

This looks good as a cheap option;

http://www.richersounds.com/product/internet-dab-radio/roth/dbt001/roth-dbt-001-gls-wht

£30 at the moment.

Paul M - 31/12/14 at 03:55 PM

if you want brand new try this from Richer Sounds

onkyo mini system

personally, I went the car stereo route - if you keep an eye on the Halfords web site you can grab some clearance bargains, I got a JVC unit with USB input - Ipod / I phone compatible as well for £25.00

hooked up to some old stereo speakers I had spare, made a box for it and powered from a 12v Nintendo wii mains supply - £4.00 off Ebay

blakep82 - 31/12/14 at 04:16 PM

decent amp & speakers, then a plug in bluetooth receiver (logitech make a good one) and your phone to play whatever via iplayer radio apps, internet radio, fm radio, mp3, spotify etc. assuming you've got wifi coverage in the garage?

i've just got a cheap FM radio in the garage, comes on with the electric, and thats it.

gremlin1234 - 31/12/14 at 07:41 PM

don't let angle grindings get any where near the speakers

FuryRebuild - 1/1/15 at 10:34 AM

I took a different track, with a Bose sound dock thing and my phone. I can move it about, it is simple, and it kicks out more than enough to fill the garage when I'm busy. I went for simple is best

daniel mason - 1/1/15 at 01:18 PM

I like sonos stuff. A small play can be had for not massive money and it's pretty good quality!
Not obviously as good as as a 2 channel amp and decent speakers but far more versatile with unlimited song choices