Board logo

urgent ring main question
adithorp - 3/4/15 at 07:05 PM

Girlfriends house, the boiier went off, no elec. Seems its on the upstairs socket ring cos that breaker was out. She has b+b guests staying and they had a phone plugged in charging which seems to be in the dodgy socket. Sparks when she swiched socket on.
Ive arrived and had socket out of wall and no burning evidence behind and wires good. no spark when socket switch off breaker stays on.

Will it be OK to use that ring with just not using that socket? She really needs boiler for hot water with having guests.

wylliezx9r - 3/4/15 at 07:17 PM

It's probably the charger that is dodgy and caused the spark. I would say yes its fine to use the circuit.

theprisioner - 3/4/15 at 07:23 PM

It could be a break in the ring. So if you use that ring it may burn wires in that socket point in ring.

If I were doing it and I don't recommend doing it unless you are confident of what you are doing, Pull breaker, buy a new socket replace socket, plug in a "Socket and see" testing device (very cheap from B&Q). Replace breaker and check results from socket and see (all lights green). If not, switch off breaker and get help.

adithorp - 3/4/15 at 07:30 PM

Yeah looks like I'm off to b+q in the morning.

Breaker can stay off tonight. Then on in the morning just for hot water.

daniel mason - 3/4/15 at 07:30 PM

It should be fine adi, the usual cause of arching is loose wires or bad plug top pin to socket pin connection. Turn the breaker back on with the charger in plugged and plug the charger in another socket to rule out that, then plug something else in the suspect socet and put some load through it. Hairdryer, kettle etc.

daniel mason - 3/4/15 at 07:32 PM

Is it not a system boiler in a B&B? If so there could be a back up electric immersion

adithorp - 3/4/15 at 07:46 PM

Not a charger issue as that's working fine in a downstairs socket. Wires/terminals are tight. Seems internal in the socket pins/switch to me.

She's on airbnb.com so effectivly your just letting out a spare room occationally rather than being a dedicated b+b so just a normal combined set up with no immersion tank.

[Edited on 3/4/15 by adithorp]

daniel mason - 3/4/15 at 07:54 PM

It will be fine if socket it not used!

adithorp - 3/4/15 at 08:18 PM

UPDATE...

"Socket top of stairs on left" means the one in the right. That has fallen apart and bit of switch dropped and shorted live/neutral. All internals removed so just junction for wires remaining. Can't see issue now. Will fit new socket in morning.

Much happier to see bits and burning than see nothing

omega 24 v6 - 4/4/15 at 10:22 AM

Ah the other left then.
Glad you've found it.
Its always better to find something wrong than to worry you've not solved the problem.

adithorp - 4/4/15 at 11:52 AM

Sorted now, thanks. LCB collective to the rescue again

Also think we know the cause. Dutch guest 2 weeks ago tried forcing a 2pin euro plug into it.

daniel mason - 4/4/15 at 12:22 PM

At least it's sorted, some 30 amp connectors and a blank plate will do until you get a new socket!