Board logo

Any structural engineers in the house?
sdh2903 - 18/9/15 at 09:31 PM

I'm after a little assistance regarding to the pressure of a slab on a sewer below. Scottish water are making me jump through hoops to obtain a build over agreement. If there are any structural engineers in the house to assist I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Steve

omega 24 v6 - 18/9/15 at 10:05 PM

Not going to be a very helpfull answer i'm a fraid
A bit farther north than you are my workmate is in the same fight.
He has been for the last 2 years.
He has decided to give up and just put up a wooden ( read as non permanent ) structure as scottish water would just not play ball regardless of how accomodating he was willing to be.
They wouldn't even let him pour a reinforced concrete slab.
That said i wish you all the luck in progressing.

sdh2903 - 19/9/15 at 05:32 AM

The biggest issue was that the sewers were not on any of Scottish waters drawings. Apparently the developer never gave them details however they put a note in the deeds saying don't build here. Now that's been sorted (took 3 months) things are now moving on.

They haven't been "Too" bad to be honest, they have agreed in principle to our design they just want a cctv survey doing to check the condition. A few legal statements and a calculation of the loads that the building will exert on the sewer which is what I'm after a clever engineer for.

Right at the start I got one of their guys direct email and extension number and have been dealing direct with him ever since which I reckon has speeded up proceedings a lot.