Board logo

Lemmium ... New heavy metal
woodster - 8/1/16 at 07:23 PM

https://www.change.org/p/support-lemmy-tribute-name-newly-discovered-heavy-metal-lemmium

How goods that

theconrodkid - 8/1/16 at 07:30 PM

signed

NigeEss - 8/1/16 at 07:55 PM

Ditto !

twybrow - 8/1/16 at 08:13 PM

Am I the only one who finds that tasteless and disrespectful to the scientists who have worked to achieve these discoveries? Yes Lemmy was a legend, but it hardly justifies lobbying to change convention for naming of new elements. I would leave that honour to the hard working scientists who have spent considerable effort to achieve their goal.

[Edited on 8/1/16 by twybrow]

LBMEFM - 8/1/16 at 10:15 PM

They can be and have been named after many things, including mythological concepts and characters, astrologically objects, minerals, geographic regions, elements or scientists. As many eminent scientist are also supporting this petition how can it possible be tasteless and disrespectful. I believe it's a perfect "heavy metal" name. I've signed it.

02GF74 - 8/1/16 at 11:03 PM

Why not. We already have Ozzymium. And Mercury named after the late singer from Queen.

Best i get my coat......

[Edited on 8/1/16 by 02GF74]

Paul M - 8/1/16 at 11:38 PM

signed - a legend & I was there during the recording of " No sleep till Hammersmith" so I can back up my oppinions.

twybrow - 9/1/16 at 12:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
They can be and have been named after many things, including mythological concepts and characters, astrologically objects, minerals, geographic regions, elements or scientists. As many eminent scientist are also supporting this petition how can it possible be tasteless and disrespectful. I believe it's a perfect "heavy metal" name. I've signed it.

I appreciate they have been named after some random items, although the vast majority if recent discoveries are named after the individual, institute or nation that is credited with the discovery. I just don't see what on earth Lemmy has to do with the periodic table and why his death should trigger a departure from established convention. Just because other scientists have signed it, does not automatically make it right or justifiable imho. Each to the their own. If one of the teams wishes it, then no problem, but they should not be robbed of that legacy for the sake of a word pun.

[Edited on 9/1/16 by twybrow]

theduck - 9/1/16 at 08:43 AM

But they weren't a heavy metal band, they were a rock and roll band.

ianm67 - 9/1/16 at 09:15 AM

Let's just enjoy what a great talent the man was. How's this for a video:

motorcycle_mayhem - 9/1/16 at 01:06 PM

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!! signed.

Unfortunately in the image-conscious, vacuous celebrity orientated state of things... more chance of it being called Bieberium.

Benzine - 9/1/16 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

Unfortunately in the image-conscious, vacuous celebrity orientated state of things... more chance of it being called Bieberium.

If only his career had a similar kind of lifespan as these new elements

jeffw - 9/1/16 at 01:29 PM

micro seconds?