Board logo

earthing a metal table lamp
locoboy - 8/11/16 at 01:39 PM

I'm part way through making a table lamp that is largely metal (aluminium)

I have a bulb holder that has the earthing tag on it but my problem is I don't have enough room to thread a 3 core (0.75 sq mm) all the way up the inside of the lamp to the holder.

Is there any logical reason I can not earth it at the base of the lamp and then just run the 2 cores up to the holder?

Thanks
Colin

r1_pete - 8/11/16 at 02:03 PM

No as long as its a metal to metal joint at the bulb holder.

I'd heat shrink or something the live and neutral inside the tube to prevent chafing.

gremlin1234 - 8/11/16 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
I'm part way through making a table lamp that is largely metal (aluminium)

I have a bulb holder that has the earthing tag on it but my problem is I don't have enough room to thread a 3 core (0.75 sq mm) all the way up the inside of the lamp to the holder.

Is there any logical reason I can not earth it at the base of the lamp and then just run the 2 cores up to the holder?

Thanks
Colin

could you use 3 core 0.5 sq mm rated 3A, so ok for over 500W lighting.
approx 5.4mm diameter
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-power-cable/7756066/
or nominal 5.5mm
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA0dot5F3.html

v8kid - 9/11/16 at 05:37 AM

You should earth at the lamp holder especially with aluminium. Reason is any conductive break will allow pArt of the lamp to become live. Aluminium is highly reactive and a!I minimum oxide a great insulator so continuity of lamp over time will be poor

locoboy - 9/11/16 at 01:24 PM

OK just checking, now if I use a plastic bulb holder the lamp body will still need an earth won't it because the lamp is metal?

r1_pete - 9/11/16 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
OK just checking, now if I use a plastic bulb holder the lamp body will still need an earth won't it because the lamp is metal?

Correct, yes earth the metal bit.

locoboy - 11/11/16 at 10:39 AM

Ok thanks for the tips.