Board logo

GY6 scooter oil seal
Andi - 16/5/18 at 10:39 AM

Hi,

I wanted a cheap second hand scooter but did not trust the cheap Chinese ones. So I went for a second hand Peugeot . I know nothing about scooters, which shows ...as what I had actually bought was a cheap Chinese scooter that has been re badged by Peugeot.
Anyways, insult taken on the chin and it ran ok for about a week. Then the input shaft oil seal popped out which I replaced. Off I went again for about a week and the same things happened again, so I replaced it using oil seal glue on the outer edges. Lasted about 2 weeks and its out again.

When changing the seal I have checked the shaft, it is clean, does not wobble, not scratched etc. The seal has a spring garter and I grease the inside edge of the seal where is comes into contact with the shaft and on the last occasion glued the outer edge to the casing.
The seal can be pushed home quite easily by hand and I tap the seal in so that its level and it sits inside the hole by about 1/2 mm.

I have resorted to some youtube videos whereby some people grease the outside as well as the inside of the seal but I am not sure this is the way??
Can anyone shed some pointers as to what im doing/not doing wrong???
Andi

[img]http:// Description
Description
[/img]

JAG - 16/5/18 at 10:46 AM

I think you should ask yourself - what causes it to 'pop-out'?

My first guess would be excess pressure from within the gearbox or whatever.

Does this gearbox/whatever have a breather or vent somewhere? Is that vent/breather blocked?

Andi - 17/5/18 at 11:38 PM

I dont think the 50cc has any vents etc. I certainly cannot find any or find any info online to state this. I am taking the dreaded gearbox apart this weekend so maybe something will show its self as the culprit.

Cheers
Andi

Mr Whippy - 18/5/18 at 06:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Andi
Hi,

I wanted a cheap second hand scooter but did not trust the cheap Chinese ones. So I went for a second hand Peugeot . I know nothing about scooters, which shows ...as what I had actually bought was a cheap Chinese scooter that has been re badged by Peugeot.

LOL so typical these days