Board logo

Made myself a Gantry Crane for the workshop (Video)
tilly819 - 16/7/18 at 05:55 AM

Hi all,

I have been busy making a mess in the workshop again. By some miracle this time the mess has given birth to a rather nifty gantry crane. The gantry crane is sized to take a point load of 500Kg at mid span, so it's ideal for lifting engines in and out of cars etc. Hope you enjoy the video; I'm getting quite into this whole YouTube thing-e-me-bob

Cheers

acb2713 - 16/7/18 at 07:57 AM

I watched this video yesterday and I think you have done a very good job of it. One suggestion I would make is for the angled stabilisers, from the I-beam to the A-frame. Rather than welding them on to the A-frame, I would have welded them on to a short length of angle section, which in turn gets bolted to the A-frame. With this in place, and the gantry crane dismantled, the A-frame would be completely flat for transportation purposes. This is purely to increase portability, which is a factor that you mentioned.

An excellent job; keep these videos coming.

motivforz - 16/7/18 at 08:28 AM

Agreed, subscribed to your channel because I've really enjoyed the welding table and extension videos. Keep them coming!

ianhurley20 - 16/7/18 at 10:58 AM

Another excellent video, well done!

tilly819 - 16/7/18 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by acb2713
One suggestion I would make is for the angled stabilisers, from the I-beam to the A-frame. Rather than welding them on to the A-frame, I would have welded them on to a short length of angle section, which in turn gets bolted to the A-frame. With this in place, and the gantry crane dismantled, the A-frame would be completely flat for transportation purposes. This is purely to increase portability, which is a factor that you mentioned.

An excellent job; keep these videos coming.

Thank you all for your kindness.

Great idea, I will keep that in mind if it is ever a problem, thanks!!

Cheers

ReMan - 16/7/18 at 08:13 PM

Great job, made it look easy too!

My only observation, (not criticism) would be that it might struggle to clear the lift of an engine out of a "normal" car, due to the lost height from your pulley and tackle?