Board logo

kitchen drain q
theconrodkid - 17/10/18 at 04:21 PM

quick q about the kitchen sink drain, the waste pipe goes from the sink into an oblong sort of hopper that is set into the ground, one side has a grill on it, the other side has the waste pipe cemented in, i have tried to clear the blockage but the angle is too tight to get my rod round, i think the drain should go into the part that has the grille and the other side should be just a removable cover, any ideas please ?.

trextr7monkey - 18/10/18 at 12:05 AM

Can you get some curtain wire round the bends or one of those flexible in blockers where you turn the handle and the worm cuts through the gunge?

Mr Whippy - 18/10/18 at 06:01 AM

bleach or boiling water works very well, seems to clear anything

theconrodkid - 18/10/18 at 07:07 AM

thanks for the replies, i put a couple of pints of bleach down it last night, was empty this morning but to me it seems piped up wrong, i am going to attack it with my breaker today...wish me luck

nick205 - 18/10/18 at 07:50 AM

Bleach followed by boiling water has often worked for me when trying to unblock kitchen (and bathroom) sink drains before.

Limited experience, but the waste pipe being cemented in doesn't sound right to me. From what I've seen before the pipe normally exits into the hopper type drain with perhaps a plastic grille around it. My understanding is the plastic grille is essentially a leaf gaurd to prevent the drain filling up with leaves blowing around.

theconrodkid - 18/10/18 at 11:49 AM

Nick, thats what i thought, anyhow after re-piping the down pipe i am waiting for the drain cleaner to do it,s magic.....hopefully

nick205 - 18/10/18 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
Nick, thats what i thought, anyhow after re-piping the down pipe i am waiting for the drain cleaner to do it,s magic.....hopefully

Hope the drain cleaner does it's work.

The ones I've seen have been piped as I described. In fact my own kitchen is piped in that way.

theconrodkid - 19/10/18 at 07:06 AM

sorted now, simple bleach and leave overnight