Board logo

Repairing fibreglass handle log splitting maul
James - 30/4/20 at 04:57 PM

Greetings all,

Hope you're all handling the lock down ok!

Quite a few years ago I bought the Roughneck log splitting set from Screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-log-splitter-set-3-pieces/48279

They're not too bad once sharpened!

However, it hasn't long before the 6lb maul head came off the fibreglass handle. This MAY have been because I used the back (sledge hammer) end a few times to smack the wood grenade into logs. Either way, the araldite holding the head to the handle has cracked.

Because I hate throwing stuff away I've found some threads elsewhere about repairing these with various 'slow cure' araldites. However, it struck me the other day (ouch! ) I might be able to fit a wooden handle to the same head as easily.

Any thoughts on the best course? I have already bought the recommended araldite but I'm a bit worried about how I set the head 'straight' on the handle. Having said that fixing it 'straight' on a wooden handle might be harder still!

Cheers!
James

J666AYP - 1/5/20 at 12:47 AM

Personally I would swap out the handle for a nice wooden one. Having the head held on with epoxy is a whoopsie waiting to happen.

J

roadrunner - 1/5/20 at 07:18 AM

Can you not open the head of the axe so when you fit a proper wooden handle you can drive wedges into the end.

David Jenkins - 1/5/20 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Can you not open the head of the axe so when you fit a proper wooden handle you can drive wedges into the end.

That is the traditional way to do this - you can buy wedges, although most people on this forum can probably make their own! A nice piece of ash would do a very good job as a handle.

[Edited on 1/5/20 by David Jenkins]

AlexXtreme - 1/5/20 at 08:06 AM

The handle is made from a thermoplastic so the epoxy Araldite will always crack up in the end.. though it might sound odd but lightly burning or darkening the surface of the plastic with a flamecan create a better bond with the epoxy. I would say wedges in the plastic are likely not to work so replace with a wood handle if you can. I have had an axe head come off when it was stuck in a log overhead.. luckily the momentum meant it landed behind me!

MikeR - 1/5/20 at 07:13 PM

I've got the same maul and have used the reverse to hit the grenade without a problem. I have bashed off the soft rubber just before the head. Considering the force going through the head, I'm not sure if be happy with a bodged solution. Get an ash blank.