Board logo

Hiring a plasterer
tegwin - 17/11/20 at 10:58 PM

Ok, so I have finally found something I don't want to attempt myself... This means I need to hire a dude with the skills.

I have had a few people round for quotes and have selected the chap/price I like..

He is self employed and will work alone...

Should I expect him to have some kind of liability insurance? If not is this something I should have in place?

Other than agreeing scope of works and payment schedule is there anything else I should get from him before he starts in terms of paperwork/agreement etc?

I am used to dealing with large scale commercial contracts, a man with a van is a bit alien.

[Edited on 17/11/20 by tegwin]

Simon - 17/11/20 at 11:09 PM

I'd expect any trader/skilled workman to have public liability insurance - I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you asked.

We used to have a bloke work for us who left to do plumbing - good job he had pl insurance as he set fire to a roof causing £0.75 million in damage. He was a really shite plumber too

907 - 18/11/20 at 07:30 AM

Before worrying about bits of paper I would want to speak to a couple of his previous customers.

Word of mouth recommendations are worth any amount of paperwork.

I have the odd qualification for welding but not once has anyone walked into my workshop and asked to see them.
However, many telephone conversations start with: " A bloke from ******** said that you xyz ..... etc, etc.

Fortunately I have a brother with an anti gravity trowel and at 72 he stilll gets people begging him to do building work.

Paul G

cliftyhanger - 18/11/20 at 08:16 AM

It is a common issue with people who have worked on big contracts. ie my BIL who microplans stuff and it confuses jobbing tradesmen.
I have always worked on recommendation when getting tradesmen in, explain what I want, and stress they should ask if unsure at any point. Never had an issue...
A plasterer, point them at the job and keep out the way. May be worth checking if there are any difficult aspects, ie straightening up walls etc. after extension. But I have never asked for paperwork up front.
However, it is what tradesmen do all day every day, if he turned up in a well used van, and you are confident, let him crack on.

HowardB - 18/11/20 at 08:38 AM

always word of mouth - referrals are the best thing, although good plasterers tend to be very busy.

I have had the whole house done - 3 different businesses - all by recommendation.

good luck, there is nothing better than a finished plaster wall

nick205 - 18/11/20 at 09:36 AM

Should have public liability insurance and shouldn't mind being asked.

Referrals are always best as is seeing some previous work.

A well plastered wall is a joy. I once had a go at plastering and failed miserably. Followed the mixing insructions, but applying it properly is a real skill IMHO.

jps - 18/11/20 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Other than agreeing scope of works and payment schedule is there anything else I should get from him before he starts in terms of paperwork/agreement etc?

I am used to dealing with large scale commercial contracts, a man with a van is a bit alien.

[Edited on 17/11/20 by tegwin]

I know what you mean. We had an extension built, spending about £90k in the end. We knew the builder well, but in comparison to my line of work the paperwork was rather sparing, to say the least. In hindsight, we should have been a bit clearer with that, but it worked out OK in the end.

I would just get a written quote for the cost/work to be done and that would be it. For a smallish job i'd expect to pay in arrears, but if there's lots of materials to buy and it's going to take weeks I would not be surprised to be asked for some payments as things progress. I would not expect to pay anything before work starts (unless I am to buy materials myself).

Irony - 18/11/20 at 11:34 AM

Find a plasterer by word of mouth. Someone who has done a great job previously to other people. Someone a friend has used. Get him round and point at the bits that need plastering and say 'how much to plaster this mate?' Probably somewhere between 100 - 150 quid a day. I pay £120 a day for a plasterer. Ask him when he can do it, he'll tell you. Ask him if he wants to supply plaster or you supply it. Ask him if there is anything you need to do in preparation.

Liability insurance? Why? Do you have any persian rugs that might get damaged? Most decent plasterers will have liability insurance. Anyone who gets the hump by you asking shouldn't be used anyway.

A decent tradesmen who you trust is worth his weight in gold.

Good luck.

[Edited on 18/11/20 by Irony]

v8kid - 18/11/20 at 02:06 PM

For £250 quid a room which is the going rate what do you expect? What do you expect to loose?

Your house insurance covers you for any public liability claims against you, the plasterer can look out for himself.

Cheers!

steve m - 18/11/20 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
For £250 quid a room which is the going rate what do you expect? What do you expect to loose?

Your house insurance covers you for any public liability claims against you, the plasterer can look out for himself.

Cheers!

I agree, what damage can a plasterer do ?

Its such a messy job, only an idiot would leave any valuables or expensive TV 's etc in the room and that includes carpets,

perksy - 18/11/20 at 04:41 PM

Word of mouth is always a good recommendation and around here its around £150 per day upwards

If your going to paint the plaster afterwards tell him not to leave a polished surface or it'll be a bloody nightmare to paint

I was talking to a builder at work last week and he was telling me that some Plasterers are charging £500 a day in Birmingham and getting it

rusty nuts - 18/11/20 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy

I was talking to a builder at work last week and he was telling me that some Plasterers are charging £500 a day in Birmingham and getting it

Probably the going rate around here!

The OP could always have a go himself, start with the least important room , by the time the house is finished he should have the knack ! I was shown how to plaster a ceiling by my brother , when I did our kitchen I plaster the ceiling myself and made a fairly good job

cliftyhanger - 18/11/20 at 10:31 PM

Last plasterers I used were 4 years ago. A dynamic duo who worked well together. £160/day each back then. 5 days to do 2 rooms, overboard ceiling, dot/dab insulated boards on exterior walls, making good damaged areas, then skim the room. I was happy with that, having been quoted over double that (and it seems that builder would probably have got the duo I used to do teh work anyway!)
Reckon 2-220 a day in Brighton.

nick205 - 19/11/20 at 08:55 AM

I've not used them, but there's a plaster's van I see in Basingstoke that makes me chuckle - "Flat Boy Skim"