Board logo

Reducing water pressure at one tap
nick205 - 8/2/21 at 10:46 AM

Morning all,

A few months ago I had to replace the mixer tap on our bathroom hand basin. The water comes out of the new tap rather forcefully and my kids are getting water everywhere (despite being asked to take care).

The hot and cold water feeds (Ø15mm pipes) have service valves below the basin. Currently I've restrited the water flow using the service valves, but I don't tink this is the right solution.

Is it possible to reduce the water pressure to a single tap?

If it is, how do you do it?

I fitted everything myself and am not afraid of making changes if I know the correct parts to use.

Thanks,
Nick

Slimy38 - 8/2/21 at 12:10 PM

What's wrong with using service valves? The alternative I've seen are lever ball valves;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lever-ball-valve-red-15mm/67744

But apart from having a handle instead of needing a screwdriver, the internals are the same.

I have a service valve reducing the flow on a cold tap (oddly enough in the bathroom basin as well!). It works well and they're still able to isolate when needed.

tegwin - 8/2/21 at 12:13 PM

A service valve would do the job perfectly. Can be a bit noisy if you are clamping it down too much..

If you want to spend money then try this LINK

sebastiaan - 8/2/21 at 12:21 PM

Do you have one of these fitted already? Makes quite a difference to the "splashability" of the stream as well.

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=tap+Aerator

steve m - 8/2/21 at 12:31 PM

I wish we had the problem that Nick has got!

I fitted a new mixer tap, and was a straight swop with the hold one, and if we want a bath, we have to plan about 3 days in advance !!

Ok, exaggeration, but to fill the bath would take about 45 mins, it really is just a trickle coming out

Mr Whippy - 8/2/21 at 12:55 PM

I just used the service valves too, did the same on the toilets to reduce the noisy filling. Our water pressure is bounce out the basin and soak you high.

My problem is kids ramming soap down the plug hole and blocking it, then leaving the tap on

[Edited on 8/2/21 by Mr Whippy]

nick205 - 8/2/21 at 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies people.

It seems I'll stick with the service valves that are already in place and have been adjusted (with screwdriver) to lower the flow. Certainly not suffering any pipe noise so that's not an issue. The tap in question is actually furthest away from the house water inlet pipe so has the greatest length of pipe as well.

I'm known in my parts for not spending money I don't need to (tight) so no point replacing the existing service valves with lever ones.

@ sebastien - the tap came with an aerator fitted, which already turns a jet into a swoosh.

@ Mr Whippy - we don't suffer the soap issue, but my wife and daughter both do fine jobs of clogging the shower and bath plug holes with hair. It then seems to be my job to rectify it when the water is slow to drain

SteveWalker - 8/2/21 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

I fitted a new mixer tap, and was a straight swop with the hold one, and if we want a bath, we have to plan about 3 days in advance !!

Ok, exaggeration, but to fill the bath would take about 45 mins, it really is just a trickle coming out

Did you check the pressures that the tap requires? When buying a new washbasin tap, the majority required 1 barg or more - impossible from the header tank only 8 feet above, giving about 0.25 barg and would hav eleft us with a trickle. But you can get taps with a minimum pressure of 0.2 barg or even 0.1 barg.

joneh - 8/2/21 at 07:31 PM

Pressure & flow are different things, but not completely unrelated. You want a pressure reduction valve if pressure is the issue. Closing the valve may introduce noise as mentioned above.

Search screwfix.com or toolstation for the above.

perksy - 8/2/21 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Pressure & flow are different things, but not completely unrelated. You want a pressure reduction valve if pressure is the issue. Closing the valve may introduce noise as mentioned above.

Search screwfix.com or toolstation for the above.

^This^

You'll get a little more noise by restricting the flow but you'd probably notice it more if it were a downstairs tap (and you were standing upstairs)

I think you mentioned piping up in copper which is good, I'm in the process of removing all the flexis in our house as I've seen a few let go at work

stevebubs - 8/2/21 at 09:26 PM

quote:

Some taps have a minimum pressure to get flow and a loft-fed system won't give you anywhere near enough....

S

gremlin1234 - 8/2/21 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

Some taps have a minimum pressure to get flow and a loft-fed system won't give you anywhere near enough....

S

an air-lock can also inhibit flow like this too