Board logo

Visiting the Cotswolds. Any recommendatiins?
John P - 9/5/22 at 02:54 PM

Hi,

In a couple of weeks time we have a week away booked to the Cotswolds.

Any suggestions about good places to visit within say a 30 mile radius of Stow-on-the-Wold.

My wife isn't into cars at all and also has some mobility issues so I'm not really looking for automotive related attractions or anything that requires lots of walking.

John.

Sanzomat - 9/5/22 at 03:12 PM

I live 45 miles from Stow so outside your radius! If you like pretty golden stone villages with rivers running through/nearby you are spoiled for choice. Bourton on the Water is a bit overdone maybe but if you've never been you probably should. The Slaughters - upper and lower, and the Swells - upper and lower. If you only go to one of those my preference would be lower Slaughter. A little further but a nice drive is Bibury. Moreton in Marsh and Broadway also well worth a visit. There a few nice National Trust places such as Hidcote and Lodge Park. Rollright stone circle if you are into that kind of thing. If you go midweek you should be able to park close to all of those but hellish at weekends at most.

nick205 - 9/5/22 at 03:39 PM

I'd second Lower Slaughter and Moreton in Marsh, both nice places. This time of year and mid-week you'll avoid the crowds aswell.

SWMBO used to have to travel up that way for work and occaisionally dragged me along.

perksy - 9/5/22 at 09:09 PM

The Cotswolds is lovely and one of our favourite places to visit

Broadway is nice, Stratford upon avon, Chipping Camden, Bourton on the water, Stow on the wold, Upper and Lower slaughter, Moreton in the marsh

Lovely countryside and some nice driving roads

Check places to eat during the evening though, We visited a couple of villages and struggled to get fed during the evening

Jaymaxi - 9/5/22 at 10:05 PM

Having stayed over to the west in the Tortworth area a few times we found so many interesting, scenic and historic places within easy reach. Some suggestions are Berkeley, Sharpness on the Severn, Miserden, Wooton, the gliders nr Framton Mansell, Down Ampney and the water park, The white horse at Uffington, you could poss get up there by road? and you could prob reach Castle Combe, a lovely village with the circuit nearby. Massive farming country, excellent land, there's a lot to see, John

Sam_68 - 10/5/22 at 07:21 AM

Having lived at Berkeley, I'm surprised to see it and Sharpness mentioned. Berkeley Castle is worth a visit, I suppose, but Berkeley itself will take you two minutes to walk the main street and Sharpness is plain grim. If you do decide to go in that direction though, there's the World Wildfowl Trust at Slimbridge and you could stop off at Coaley Peak or Stinchcombe Hill Golf Club for a few minutes to admire the views across the Severn Vale from the top of the escarpement (which you can do in both these locations without walking more than a few metres from your car, if your wife's mobility is not good).

In the opposite direction: not really Cotswolds, but there's Stratford on Avon about 20 miles to the north of Stow, with Shakespeare, shops, cafes and river trips on the Avon.

You might also consider Chedworth Roman Villa (not far from the Slaughters and Bourton on the Water, if you want to combine them into one trip).

Jaymaxi - 10/5/22 at 09:17 AM

Thanks for these, (and all) suggestions, I'll seek them out when I get back over there again cheers, John

Tazzzzman1 - 11/5/22 at 03:20 PM

Snowshill manor is worth a visit, a very unusual eclectic collection to view and a beautiful surroundings, although there is a bit of walking needed to get around

[Edited on 11/5/22 by Tazzzzman1]

Toys2 - 11/5/22 at 03:32 PM

Another vote for Lower Slaughter, a good few years ago, we went into Stowe for a tea and coffee, found it over crowded and overpriced
So we left there and went to what looked like a really posh (ie expensive) hotel in Lower Slaughter, had a great cream tea on the terrace, at a really reasonable price

Sam_68 - 11/5/22 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Toys2...we left there and went to what looked like a really posh (ie expensive) hotel in Lower Slaughter, had a great cream tea on the terrace, at a really reasonable price

I've been there a few times, too: nice, isn't it?

If it's where I'm thinking, it's The Slaughters Manor House: checking their website, the prices seem to have risen dramatically, though!:

https://www.slaughtersmanor.co.uk/dining-drinking/afternoon-tea

Toys2 - 12/5/22 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2...we left there and went to what looked like a really posh (ie expensive) hotel in Lower Slaughter, had a great cream tea on the terrace, at a really reasonable price

I've been there a few times, too: nice, isn't it?

If it's where I'm thinking, it's The Slaughters Manor House: checking their website, the prices seem to have risen dramatically, though!:

https://www.slaughtersmanor.co.uk/dining-drinking/afternoon-tea

GULP! yes that was the place, but I definitely didn't pay those prices!