Board logo

Washing Machine
Hellfire - 4/8/05 at 11:28 AM

OK guys looking for a quick answer here. My washing machine motor is knackered and I no longer wish to keep chucking money at it and getting it repaired. Its 7 years old and has had nearly the same hundreds of pounds spent in repairs. And yes...... it is a Hotpoint.

I want a no frills, reliable washer like a Mielle, Bosch, etc and would like to know a place where I can pick one up at a reasonable price quickly.

Any ideas?

chris.russell - 4/8/05 at 11:39 AM

don't know why Hotpoint has such a bad name, i have a hotpoint washing machine and it lasted nearly 9 months before the drum bearing failed!

DaveFJ - 4/8/05 at 11:46 AM

years ago I used to moonlight doing home deliveries for Comet. The only machines we never had to collect/replace on warranty were indesit - who are actually one of the cheapest....

consequently when I replaced my machine (over 5 years ago now) I bought an indesit and it has never given us a single problem, despite being used daily.

Jasper - 4/8/05 at 12:00 PM

I found this lot the cheapest for my new Bosch washing machine:

unbeatable.co.uk

I picked it up though as they're local - so don't know how good delivery is.

I used Kelkoo to check around or prices.

locogeoff - 4/8/05 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
years ago I used to moonlight doing home deliveries for Comet. The only machines we never had to collect/replace on warranty were indesit - who are actually one of the cheapest....

consequently when I replaced my machine (over 5 years ago now) I bought an indesit and it has never given us a single problem, despite being used daily.

Wish I had the same experience, our machine an Indesit W123S IIRC started off as a real quiet machine, its now three years old and whines like a whinney thing trying to be overheard at a convention of whinney things, friendly washing machine man refused to come out to it, saying it was absolute crap and wasn't worth fixing. It went bad about a year and a day after purchase. When the misses started whinning more the the washing machine I decided to have a look at parts availability

Me, I'm now left with the quandry do I replace the bearings or the complete spider as a unit, or since I'm leaving it when moving house do i just hope that it passes muster

mackie - 4/8/05 at 12:02 PM

http://www.hispek.com/

Get a Bosch.

I got my Bosch fridge from the place linked.

James - 4/8/05 at 12:26 PM

Good friend of mine repairs them for a living.

He says Bosch are the ones to go for.

Cheers,
James

DarrenW - 4/8/05 at 01:04 PM

try co-op website.

Old drum can make a good exhaust heat shield.

Hellfire - 4/8/05 at 05:04 PM

Just installed a brand new Bosch and guess what........ it still works and hasn't needed owt replacing yet.

MikeRJ - 4/8/05 at 10:09 PM

We got an AEG washing machine a year ago to replace an aging Indesit. The Indesit had been totaly reliable for the last 8 years but never washed or rinsed very well and was quite noisy.

I thought there was something wrong with the AEG when we put the first load on, you can literaly just barely hear it running. My dads had an AEG machine for what must be over 15 years, and has only had to replace the brushes and the drum suspension units in that time. Still going strong as well.

Forgot to mention, for anyone thats after a new appliance, it may be worth having a look at http://www.trade-appliances.co.uk . I just bought an AEG oven from them that was significantly cheaper than anywhere esle we could find, very good service as well.

[Edited on 4/8/05 by MikeRJ]