Board logo

Steve Irwin. Sad news.
scotty g - 4/9/06 at 06:05 AM

Breaking news this morning, Crocadile Hunter and all round bonkers fella Steve Irwin has been killed while filming around the great barrier reef.
He was swimming with some sting ray when one punctured his chest.
In many ways it was bound to happen one day but still a great loss.
He was incredibly enthusiastic and passionate about wildlife and their preservation.
Plus he leaves a wife and two young children who i hope will continue his work (just a bit safer!).

[Edited on 4/9/06 by scotty g]

JoelP - 4/9/06 at 06:22 AM

sad news indeed. My mate will be gutted, was a very big fan.

theconrodkid - 4/9/06 at 06:36 AM

Danozeman - 4/9/06 at 06:53 AM

Very sad news indeed. He was a top bloke. Although a bloody loony.

nick205 - 4/9/06 at 06:56 AM

one of my favourites

cct7kitcars - 4/9/06 at 07:46 AM

shame animal programs will never be the same again big loss

mackei23b - 4/9/06 at 08:06 AM

Sad news indead, sorry to see him go

Syd Bridge - 4/9/06 at 08:12 AM

Stevo's death is a very sad day for Aussies all round.

This was a complete freak occurrence. Must have been a VERY big ray, and to get him in the heart was, well, a freak accident. Anywhere else on his body and Steve would have been a bit sore for a while, but still alive.

A genuinely nice man with no pretences who'll be sadly missed.

Syd.

marktigere1 - 4/9/06 at 08:15 AM

Very sad day

Fozzie - 4/9/06 at 08:46 AM

Fozzie

AdamR - 4/9/06 at 08:50 AM

Such a freak death for a man who has managed to evade it time and time again in far more likely circumstances, whilst doing the job he loved, is a fitting way for a man to die and a legend to be born.

RIP Steve. You'll be missed all around the world but remembered for generations.

[Edited on 4/9/06 by AdamR]

Gav - 4/9/06 at 09:07 AM

Amen

graememk - 4/9/06 at 09:54 AM

RIP

froggy - 4/9/06 at 10:41 AM

for me he is up there with fred dibnah as a bloke who truly loved what he did

Crazy Jay - 4/9/06 at 10:49 AM

What a legend! RIP Steve

[Edited on 4/9/06 by Crazy Jay]

craig1410 - 4/9/06 at 11:47 AM

What can I say that hasn't already been said - an absolute tragedy!

Many will say that it had to happen sooner or later but you could say that of all of us. I don't think Steve ever took life for granted and even though he courted danger from time to time I don't believe he was reckless. He just loved being with animals.

To die you must first live and that guy lived life to the max for sure! I really feel for his wife and kids, especially because like many of us, I feel like I know them even though I've never met them. I hope they find the strength to carry on Steve's dream.

Craig.

omega 24 v6 - 4/9/06 at 11:52 AM

A sad day indeed. The guy had a passion and understanding that 95% of people will never have,and he wasn't afraid to show it to the world.
RIP

DorsetStrider - 4/9/06 at 12:23 PM

It is a sad thing to happen and I feel very sorry for his wife and kids. It has to be said thou that something was going to happen to him sooner or later.

Jasper - 4/9/06 at 02:50 PM

block - 4/9/06 at 03:27 PM

Very sad indeed, especially when you consider how unlucky he was to have been hit in the heart.
Like the earlier post, to see someone that enthusiastic about their job/hobby is really heart warming. I'm sure he will be missed by just about everybody who saw his shows. RIP.

jack trolley - 4/9/06 at 05:42 PM

Steve Irwin was a bloody idiot and it was only a matter of time before he was killed.

quote:

The flat, triangular stingray gets its name from the razor-sharp barb at the end of its tail, coated in toxic venom.

But the animal only uses this weapon defensively when it feels threatened or is stepped on.

I'm sure many/most? people think he was a "character", but this is another case of death by stupidity.

quote:

UK wilderness expert Ray Mears said that Mr Irwin's death was a tragedy and that his thoughts were with his family, but that the incident served as a warning that "some things in nature should be left alone".

doughie - 4/9/06 at 06:00 PM

RIP

top bloke
very sad for his family

thinkin of ya

[Edited on 4/9/06 by doughie]

Hellfire - 4/9/06 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jack trolley
Steve Irwin was a bloody idiot and it was only a matter of time before he was killed.

Rubbish. He was definitely no idiot. He took calculated risks but he knew exactly what those risks were. This was a freak accident.

He had an amazing zest for life and was truly passionate about wildlife. He will be sadly missed by millions. RIP

DEAN C. - 4/9/06 at 06:16 PM

I dont see how anyone can say anything bad about Steve Urwin, the work he did was part of a bigger picture in his life,that being the need to ensure the protection of the worlds wildlife and endangered species.
If anyone thinks any differently then I pity their short sightedness.

Anyone like Steve that has lived their dreams has lived life to the full,I think thats what makes people admire people like Steve.
I 'll also bet that his wife and family will say the same however upset they are!

Thanks Steve.

craig1410 - 4/9/06 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jack trolley

Nothing could be further from the truth Jack. You are of course entitled to your opinion but Steve knew what he was doing and very rarely came to any harm doing it. The people he worked with knew him better than any of us and they all idolised him for the way he raised awareness to the beauty of nature.

For your information, there had only been one other fatal attack by a sting ray and this was in 1945. You are more at risk of dying of a wasp sting in your back garden than from a stingray attack.

Cheers,
Craig.

coozer - 4/9/06 at 09:27 PM

Steve was a legend that many environmental projects will miss.

He had a rather reckless approach to dangerous animals but that is why we all know him so much.

Its unlikely we will see again anyone so dedicated to the animals he brought into our front rooms. Anyone so dedicated, enthusiastic and professional to his job.

If you saw Ozzy Prime Minister John Howard on TV tonight that just shows how legendery the man is to become...

A state funeral is proposed and I'm all for it as he did more for Australia than Maggie ever did for us.

joneh - 4/9/06 at 09:31 PM

I wouldn't call him an idiot but taking your child within 3 ft of dangerous reptile in my opinion is stupid, even if you do know what you're doing. I can see how a lot of people will think his death "was bound to happen".

Either way, he was a top bloke with a great passion for wildlife and will be missed a great deal.

stephen_gusterson - 21/9/06 at 12:13 AM

Missed this post as i was in the USA when it happend on my hols. This was HUGE news out there, getting major coverage on CNN and general channels.

10 days later I went to a place called discovery cove in orlando. its a 'swim with dolphins' place - but you also get to swim as much as you like with large (debarbed) rays and with smaller ones in a knee deep pool. these are amazingly graceful creatures that have almost got personalities and i liked them more than the dolphins. gentle - they will take food from your hand.

however, when you go into the sea off florida, you are told to wear covering on your feet, and to slide them across the bottom. if you step on a stingray, it will whack you without a thought.

i thought steve irwin was a bit of a plonker, but after seeing much of him in the aftermath on usa tv i see his over the top style as part of his poularist approach and i too wish he was still around doing it. i now appreciate him much better

i was amazed how well his little girl spoke at his remeberance service today - shes a star in the making

atb steve

[Edited on 21/9/06 by stephen_gusterson]

scotty g - 21/9/06 at 05:05 PM

Ageed, Bindy will go on to be a big hit, Steve was filming for her own show when he got killed.
She came across as a very brave girl who loved her dad immencely.
Its a shame so many idiots are now going on a stingray hunting spree, as you say these are actually very friendly creatures and simply missunderstood, like so many of the animals Steve taught a whole generation about.

Alan B - 21/9/06 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
.....10 days later I went to a place called discovery cove in orlando.........

And you didn't call round to meet me for a beer...

Agree about Steve Irwin...top guy..very sad...