Board logo

Best drummer in the world?
donut - 26/10/06 at 12:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZawV8-Jk-M

foskid - 26/10/06 at 12:07 PM

not even close. ever heard of Ginger Baker or Ian Paice.

Surrey Dave - 26/10/06 at 12:18 PM

donut hasn't heard those drummer's , he only knows computer generated crap drumming!!

[Edited on 26/10/06 by Surrey Dave]

flak monkey - 26/10/06 at 12:28 PM

Joey Jordison is the slipknot drummer. He is a damn good drummer, but that solo isnt anything special.

Try having a listen to the drums in this (and the guitars for that matter):
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6774480477151603429

Also Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden is awsome, for a bit of useless trivia he refuses to use a double pedal as he sees it as cheating, so all those quick drums you hear in maiden songs are played the old fashioned way

For speed drumming try Pantera or Slayer....

David

[Edited on 26/10/06 by flak monkey]

Fozzie - 26/10/06 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
donut hasn't heard those drummer's , he only knows computer generated crap drumming!!

[Edited on 26/10/06 by Surrey Dave]

Definately agree with foskid re Ginger Baker

Oh the memories....

Fozzie

Edited... to say he was the drummer in Cream, a trio of Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce......

[Edited on 26/10/06 by Fozzie]

JoelP - 26/10/06 at 12:42 PM

my old pal once told me its easy to do the double bass pedals that fast, the hard bit is starting and stopping promptly, ala 'One' by metallica.

I always liked the drumming to 'Hallowed by thy name' by maiden, nowt to special but an excellent fit to the song.

James - 26/10/06 at 12:51 PM

Ach, Metallica's: The Unforgiven guitar solo...

Sweet, sweet joy!

Cheers,
James

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5tnQrIiVXs

03:34 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing...

[Edited on 26/10/06 by James]

JoelP - 26/10/06 at 12:52 PM

i can play that!

marktigere1 - 26/10/06 at 12:59 PM

Neil Peart of Rush

Nuff said

Cheers

Mark

JackNco - 26/10/06 at 01:05 PM

Joey is an amazing drummer, was lucky enough to see him subbing for Lars (the metallica drummer) a few years ago. now that was a hell of a gig. seen slipknot a few times as well although i always find drum solos a bit boring when im at a gig.

John

Coose - 26/10/06 at 01:16 PM

Jimmy Chamberlain - Smashing Pumpkins.

End of discussion.....

donut - 26/10/06 at 01:34 PM

My fave drummer and guitarist are from CARDIACS - my most fave band EVER!!!

look see: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4790672023979256623& q=cardiacs

[Edited on 26/10/06 by donut]

Coose - 26/10/06 at 01:49 PM

Chortle!

Gergely - 26/10/06 at 03:49 PM

Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, Gary Novak

but it's easy to hit something with sticks. Use your hand, that's much harder!

Check this out, the one and only Giovanni Hidalgo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjK57YG9bM

spunky - 26/10/06 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marktigere1
Neil Peart of Rush

Nuff said

Cheers

Mark

Yep, gotta be the one, although Ian Paice is up there.
However my favourite drummer...
Rat Scabies

Peteff - 26/10/06 at 04:52 PM

When asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world he replied " I don't even think he's the best drummer in the Beatles" The drummer is the one who sets the pace for all the others to keep up with

marcyboy - 26/10/06 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marktigere1
Neil Peart of Rush

Nuff said

Cheers

Mark

i blew the dust off of "caress of steel this week" still sounds good

but what about MOON THE LOON & JOHN BONHAM

omega 24 v6 - 26/10/06 at 05:07 PM

YOUR ALL WRONG
Cozy Powell from Rainbow I rewst my case thank you and good night,

BKLOCO - 26/10/06 at 06:01 PM

Have you lot never heard of Sandy Nelson?
Look...Listen...and learn....Click here
There have been many pretenders to the throne but Sandy will allways be king.

This is the guy that inspired a whole generation...
Listen to "Birth of the Beat"

[Edited on 26-10-06 by BKLOCO]

Volvorsport - 26/10/06 at 06:17 PM

cozy powell for me .

theconrodkid - 26/10/06 at 06:48 PM

cozy powell and keith moon (i slept with someone who went to school with keith)makes me famous i spose?

Confused but excited. - 26/10/06 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
Have you lot never heard of Sandy Nelson?
Look...Listen...and learn....Click here
There have been many pretenders to the throne but Sandy will allways be king.

This is the guy that inspired a whole generation...
Listen to "Birth of the Beat"

[Edited on 26-10-06 by BKLOCO]

Aaah, so I'm not the only old fart on here that remembers Sandy Nelson. Let there be drums!
Does anyone remember Gene Crouper?

gazza285 - 26/10/06 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Rick Allen for me, anyone who can play the drums like that, especially with only having one arm.

Chris

It's his own fault he's got one arm. I could never understand all the sympathy at the time, was he drunk or just driving like an idiot?

nicksertis - 26/10/06 at 07:38 PM

Has to be Dave Grohl. Not even a mention so far!

pajsh - 26/10/06 at 07:42 PM

My lads teacher always used to go on about Buddy Rich being the best drummer ever.

He did come out with quite a few stories though.

He was Dusty Springfields drummer and he reckoned once Keith Moon got him by the throat because he told him he was a W*nker for smashing up is kit.

Blackbird Rush - 26/10/06 at 08:47 PM

A lot of drummers on here?

For drummers you cant beat a bit of prog rock

Best soloists
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Akira Jimbo - Awesome no electronics what you hear is all him wish i could play like that, beats double bass drum quads anyday! http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/AkiraJimbosolo.html
and the original soloist John Bonham

........Must dig the kit out and make some noise!

Blackbird Rush - 26/10/06 at 08:50 PM

.........How could we forget the world #1 drummer........

Animal!

omega 24 v6 - 26/10/06 at 10:34 PM

Nah it's still

cozy powell

Fozzie - 26/10/06 at 10:49 PM

Cozy was good very good, but in my book its still Ginger listen to it all
Here

Fozzie

Fozzie - 26/10/06 at 11:00 PM

Or another from last year, the solo starts about 1.55 minutes into the vid.....

another linky

Its a long solo listen to it all !

Fozzie

wheelfelloff - 27/10/06 at 10:16 AM

I know I'm from the more senior generation on here but I was surprised that it took two pages to get to the best, Colin Flooks (Cozy Powell if you are not from Cirencester) it is for me. I am a huge fan of Cream and have no issue with Ginger being up there as well. Look at the groups that Colin played with and get a feel for his versatility and range. The fact that the wife went to school with him and Iworked for many years with his next door neighbour has nothing to do with it. I suppose there is a time and place for everyone and unfortunately Colins time was cut short.

Best regards and who cares just enjoy the music.

Keith

spunky - 27/10/06 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Rick Allen for me, anyone who can play the drums like that, especially with only having one arm.

Chris

It's his own fault he's got one arm. I could never understand all the sympathy at the time, was he drunk or just driving like an idiot?

AFAIK... he lost his arm when the tour bus crashed, wasn't aware that he was driving, sure he was drunk though

John

gazza285 - 27/10/06 at 04:53 PM

No, he crashed his Corvette overtaking somebody on a corner on New Years Eve.

spunky - 27/10/06 at 05:40 PM

I stand corrected Gazza, don't know where i got that from!

His determination as a drummer is beyond reproach, but not in the same league as some mentioned above.

John

givemethebighammer - 27/10/06 at 08:31 PM

John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGw7_oy5zdc

[Edited on 27/10/06 by givemethebighammer]

gazza285 - 27/10/06 at 09:07 PM

Bonham's the man.

steve m - 2/11/06 at 06:04 PM

I have listened to both Ginger baker and Cozy powell, no contest
Cozy was musical with rythm, Ginger a weird smashing sound on some tins

Sandy Nelson for me, I wish i had a record player as ive just found my "let there be drums" album , it must be knocking on 25-30 years old

jono_misfit - 2/11/06 at 10:18 PM

Mettalica's original bassist (Cliff Burton?) got killed when their bus crashed if thats what you were thinking of. Didnt the guy from def leopard also kill his girlfriend in that crash.

Joey from slipknot gets my vote. Watch hsi drum solo on disasterpiece DVD when the drum kits turned up on edge and turns round and round.

I quite like Lar's from Metallica he's not that amazing but has some weird style that few people seem to do. Rember seeing a video of Machine Head trying to learn battery and the drummer complaining about how hard it was, when he thought it looked easy. lol

jonbeedle - 3/11/06 at 03:06 PM

Now if you want a proper drummer, listen to Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd!

caber - 3/11/06 at 08:14 PM

Keith Moon! also knew how and where to drive Rollers!

Nicko Mcain got me sacked as roadie for the Pat Travers Band to get his mate a job. It was a bit of a shame i taped his loons to his stick bag so when he stood up the whole kit went over

caber

gazza285 - 3/11/06 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZawV8-Jk-M

I've just watched the video and all I can say is who is the sound man? All the toms are gated so hard that they all sound like kick drums, which are all so, as we say, "tits and arse" i.e all treble and bass, as to be just clicking noises instead of sounding like actual drums. He might be a great drummer but I can't tell 'cause the sound is so s***e.

omega 24 v6 - 4/11/06 at 12:14 AM

Mmmmm while looking for the vid clip of Cozy powell I came across (oh err) a group called Blackmores Night. They seem a bit far out (Blackmore reckons he's a wizard now I think) but the singer is megfa tasty and the sound is a cross between Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) and Eva Cassidy with a bit of medievil (sp) music thrown in. What do you reckon to this as I quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPqBlDY7AzU

Sorry for the typing/spelling as I've had a few (was 45 on thursday but only look like 28)

gazza285 - 4/11/06 at 12:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Sorry for the typing/spelling as I've had a few (was 45 on thursday but only look like 28)

You really shouldn't drink so much, even 28 is fare too much.

omega 24 v6 - 4/11/06 at 12:22 AM

He He Isettle for 28 at the moment

lexi - 5/11/06 at 12:35 AM

For overall technique Buddy Rich is probably the Jess Owens or Muhammed Ali of drumming. I like Billy Cobham in the more modern technical drumming era. Not so good technicaly but favourites of mine. Carl Palmer Simon Kirk and of course the mighty thudding rock sound of John Bonham. Not forgetting Micky Dolenz of the Monkees....
Alex

A1 - 28/1/11 at 01:09 PM

George kollias from Nile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POyvaVywL4&feature=related

Benzine - 28/1/11 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A1
George kollias from Nile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POyvaVywL4&feature=related

I just read this thread from page one, as it's an old thread I wondered if i had posted, but hadn't. I was going to mention george ^_^ Also Gavin Harrison of porcupine tree pwns.

Peteff - 28/1/11 at 01:50 PM

What's this, Resurrection Day. This thread died in 2006

speedyxjs - 28/1/11 at 03:05 PM

Mike Portnoy for me. Just a shame he had left DT

Ninehigh - 28/1/11 at 04:13 PM

Everyone knows Queen are the best band in the world, and by transitive properties that means Roger Taylor is the best drummer!

scootz - 28/1/11 at 05:45 PM

I don't really 'get' the mad Animal style of drumming. Yes - it's fast, furious and probably technically excellent, but it sounds like a bag of poo! You wouldn't be able to nod your head to it, far less dance or play another instrument off the back of it.

Myke 2463 - 28/1/11 at 06:06 PM

Cozy Powell = no competition.

RichieW - 28/1/11 at 07:35 PM

My favourite Youtube drumming vid.

Linky

I know nothing about drumming but this bloke is the coolest even if he isn't considered the best.

Benzine - 28/1/11 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
You wouldn't be able to nod your head to it, or play another instrument off the back of it.

Confused but excited. - 28/1/11 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichieW
My favourite Youtube drumming vid.

Linky

I know nothing about drumming but this bloke is the coolest even if he isn't considered the best.

Now that guy knows how to hit a pig with a stick!

interestedparty - 28/1/11 at 09:20 PM

Why on earth has no-one mentioned Jim Keltner. This guy has played with just about everybody.

Including-Leon Russell, Gabor Szabo, Delaney Bramlett, Roy Orbison, Harry Nilsson, Jerry Garcia, Eric Clapton, Steely Dan, Joe Cocker, Van Dyke Parks, the Rolling Stones, Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Brian Wilson, Seals and Crofts, The Ramones, Bill Frisell, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Phil Keaggy, Steve Jones, Crowded House, Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello, The Bee Gees, Jackson Browne, The Manhattan Transfer, Randy Newman, Ry Cooder, Sam Phillips, Los Lobos, Pink Floyd, Warren Zevon, Rufus Wainwright, Tom Petty, Gillian Welch, the Steve Miller Band, Alice Cooper, Sheryl Crow and Lucinda Williams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Keltner

[Edited on 28/1/11 by interestedparty]

ReMan - 28/1/11 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
What's this, Resurrection Day. This thread died in 2006

The beauty of the new split front page