Board logo

I'm leaving LocostBuilders
andyharding - 1/11/06 at 09:53 PM

Because these bloody donate pages are doing my nut in.

Thanks to all those who have helped me along the way.

smart51 - 1/11/06 at 09:57 PM

You'd rather go away than pay a fiver for such a useful service?

To be honest I wouldn't have joined if I had to pay and I probably wouldn't stick around If I had to pay a subscription. I don't mind contributing a bit but I agree the donate page is quite annoying. What if it was appeared less often? Once per login, after the 2nd or 3rd post wouldn't hurt. A more gentle request?

stevec - 1/11/06 at 09:57 PM

Why not just bung a fiver in the pot, It has to be worth it.
All the best.
Steve.

RichardK - 1/11/06 at 10:02 PM

Fiver for this amount of knowledge! Money well spent if you ask me and I'm as tight as arseholes, ask the misses

Regards

Rich

Jon Ison - 1/11/06 at 10:02 PM

I post & read a lot of posts, don't see the pop up that often, click "here" n its gone.

DarrenW - 1/11/06 at 10:07 PM

ive paid, dont mind a one off fiver but for how long does it keep the contribute pop-ups at bay???

Shame to see you go Andy. You are one of the genuine guys who will be missed.

Mansfield - 1/11/06 at 10:18 PM

Whilst I have paid my fiver, there is no way I would have paid if I was new to the site. The contribution message will surely put off newcomers which is bad enough, but it is very bad news if you (any members with the same opinion) do not return to this site.

Five quid probably works out at 1p per site visit for me and is a great source of pleasure and knowledge. I dont know if I could be without it.

I cant decide whether I resent paying the money or not, but I dont see the message any more and I am not getting 'too many connections' errors etc.

I would hate this site to end up a closed shop, we all had to start some where ( I am still a build virgin).

Humbug - 1/11/06 at 10:20 PM

Sorry to see you are going.

I personally don't begrudge the fiver (though I would think the nag screen should have gone by 10 days after paying up...)

Werner Van Loock - 1/11/06 at 10:22 PM

I must agree with Andy, these "adverts" are getting anoying. And the wordt is that I don't understand why. My guess is that there's about 300 active members on here? If they all pay a fiver then it makes a massive 1500.

I also run a website (
clubstylus ) and don't charge anybody anything, just because my whole cost is about 18£ a year including 1GB webspace with php and mysql database, no transfer limit and a .uk (for me a.be) domain. (one.com)

I also run a forum and the nice thing about a forum is that it maintains itself. Especially when you make other people moderator for some sections.

So to be honest, this site is only a forum, so why do people need to donate.

Is the hosting that expensive? Is it ran by a professional? I don't know, but I never ran into a forum before that has such a popup.

That there's a possibility (like the paypal link on top) that's ok. Put the message of the popup on top or start a topic for it, but for me the popup is over the top.

But to be honest it doesn't stop me from staying around.

phelpsa - 1/11/06 at 10:25 PM

I paid up waaaay before any of this because I thought ChrisW deserved a bit for the help this site has given me.

Stop moaning and pay up you stingy barsteward

stevec - 1/11/06 at 10:28 PM

If I were ChrisW I would be wondering why I bother,
Whats a fiver?
Steve.

JoelP - 1/11/06 at 10:30 PM

yeah, i think it more reflect the fact that this site is very entertaining, rather than specifically how much it costs to run. Coke dont just charge the cost of making a tasty drink, they make a profit too

Chris is just another guy trying to make end meet. I wouldnt begrudge him a fiver. Which reminds me, must donate again sometime!

Jon Ison - 1/11/06 at 10:45 PM

Stop. dont want this thread too turn into who this n who that. Locostbuilders is better n bigger than that.

Uphill Racer - 1/11/06 at 10:48 PM

Pop ups...........? what pop ups, never had 1..................is big brother intersepting them?...........

lexi - 1/11/06 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Because these bloody donate pages are doing my nut in.

Thanks to all those who have helped me along the way.

Nobodys allowed to leave . You know what happened to Patrick McGoogan in his Seven
Alex

TangoMan - 1/11/06 at 11:05 PM

I don't begrudge a fiver as it is money well spent for the time and advice gained on here.
I think Chris deserves to be rewarded for his time and effort.
Having paid up some time ago though, I do get a bit hot under the collar when the donate screen comes up.

stephen_gusterson - 1/11/06 at 11:06 PM

paid my fiver younks ago, and not getting much value from it lately.

no one has ever left this forum - there isnt a button for it!

atb

steve

phelpsa - 1/11/06 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
paid my fiver younks ago, and not getting much value from it lately.

no one has ever left this forum - there isnt a button for it!

atb

steve

You tried because you thought you had too many posts.... now look at Joel! Nearly 10,000

ChrisW - 2/11/06 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TangoManHaving paid up some time ago though, I do get a bit hot under the collar when the donate screen comes up.

Drop me a u2u with the email address you sent payment from and I'll fix it. There are still 20-odd payments that I can't match up the email addresses to members, and the person hasn't given their username in the 'notes' section. I try my best, but I'm not a mind reader!!

As for the 'why should I donate' issue... I think it's been covered many times before.

I will turn the frequency of the popups down at some point tho... probably when I log on to the server in a few minutes to do a few more account upgrades.

Cheers, Chris

Simon - 2/11/06 at 12:47 AM

Fiver?????

I chucked 40 quid in the pot!!! That's less than a pound a month.

Ok, so I was a bit slow in coughing up to start with, but hey, better late than never

Look forward to my "Contributor" status

ATB

Simon

Danozeman - 2/11/06 at 06:44 AM

This site is well worth a fiver. I donated ages ago and again last week.

For the help,advice and banter thats goes on here its well worth it. Not to mention the top blokes you meet up with in the process.
Think of how many times youv asked or read something thats helped out. Well worth it.

As said you have to cover the cost of your time to look after it.

Micael - 2/11/06 at 08:49 AM

I'm a hardcore locoster, i don't like to pay for anything that has to do with my car. But this site is well worth the money.

There are two things a locoster don't do
1. Pay for car parts
2. Fry bacon without a shirt

wilkingj - 2/11/06 at 08:54 AM

I ran an Amateur Radio bulletin board for 10 years, back in the early 80's. All run over Radio connections using internet protocols and transmitted over radio.

There is always a cost in running something like this, even if its just the electricity and the time to housekeep.

a Fiver for access to this info its well worth it.

I have completed my build. However, I have made some very good friends on here, and still read through the posts. The build is never really finished, as I am thinking of converting to EFI and megasquirt.

If you add a fiver to the build cost of your car... will you really notice the difference, or abandon the project because you are £5 over budget.

I dont begrudge the money at all.

The Nag screens are a pain... and hopfully Chris has matched my used ID to my contribution

However, at the end of the day, its your choice...

02GF74 - 2/11/06 at 09:37 AM

It is up to you.

It is my principle that I don't pay for using forums - in reality, I should be paid for contributing - I stated something along those lines when the contribution message first appeared.

... but then ChrisW pointed out how much he has paid to keep the site running as well as it is, and frankly it is a hell of a lot more than I expected ... so I rpise my wallet open ad sent a fiver; not much but every bit will help. (No doubt we'll be seeing photos posted of Chris' new Lamboughini!).

This is one of the friendliest sites I frquent, I find there is a lot of useful info on here plus I use it as a sounding board for different ideas; I certaihnly wouldn't like to see the site disappear.

Taz Surfleet - 2/11/06 at 09:44 AM

just out of curiosity how many of the moaners pay the £4 for each of the mags every month? and theyre shite (well they were when they were bickering at each other!)

Werner Van Loock - 2/11/06 at 10:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

... but then ChrisW pointed out how much he has paid to keep the site running as well as it is, and frankly it is a hell of a lot more than I expected ... so I rpise my wallet open ad sent a fiver; not much but every bit will help. (No doubt we'll be seeing photos posted of Chris' new Lamboughini!).

How much is it then? Must of missed something, but that's not too difficult, if I would read every topic on here it would be a full-time job.

Pdlewis - 2/11/06 at 10:29 AM

No offence Werner Van Loock but working with databse of this size demand huge resouces. Fair enough if you want to run a small forum it can be done very cheaply using cheap hosting service. The complexity of this site requires huge storage area (as we are allowed to upload unlimited pictures) and high bandwidth. Not to mention time investment by people to tune indexes which allow posts to appear to your screen as you hit the button!! (this is a bit of a black art as DBMS never quite do what you would expect

Cheers ChrisW

Just had a look at you site and the total volume of posts dont add up to a fraction of one topic on this site

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Pdlewis]

marc n - 2/11/06 at 10:59 AM

perhaps if more manufacturers / traders supported the site better then the user donation may be redundant,
without going into specifics, i have paid to be a trader and have a small banner then also contibuted what i think is a fair contribution for the benifits of being affiliated to this site maybe others could follow suit ???

just my 2p worth

[Edited on 2/11/06 by marc n]

mad dad - 2/11/06 at 11:00 AM

I have no problem paying but as per an earlier post i am not going to do it through paypal but as i have no other option i continue to be classed as "non contributor" and i was not alone re the payment method.....great site and i've found everyone really helpful and friendly......

Fred W B - 2/11/06 at 11:06 AM

Text of email and U2U I sent chriss on 17th Oct, still waiting on reply and getting IRRITATED with the pop up

Cheers

Fred W B

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:14 AM
To: 'webmaster@locostbuilders.co.uk'
Subject: Payment from South Africa

Hi Chris

Thanks again for all you do for the locust/stratch builders etc community. I want to make my contribution, but Pay Pal does not work for South Africa. Do you have a bank account I can have my sister, who is resident in London, make a payment into?

Cheers

Fred

Werner Van Loock - 2/11/06 at 11:24 AM

no offence taken. And I do know that a board of this size takes time to maintain. I guess it started as a hobby and a one man job, but can ssume it's no one man job anymore is it? Because if it is, then i would call you crazy.

All I wanted to say is that the popup is a bit over the edge.

I know that my board is small, but it just started and only 43 members atm. Mainly because it's focussed on the Stylus.

ch1ll1 - 2/11/06 at 11:27 AM

im not one for spending money on web sites,
but saying that i have paid, and will also pay in the future

as will my wife as shes fed up with paypal bit as well !
she signing up and going to donate(just to get rid of it)
as the site give her loads of laughs and shes not even building !

she loves this site ( as do i )
she loves the mad house section
she loves the silly post we all do from time to time,
the site is a very good site full of useful info,
how much would all this info be worth if you had to buy it in a book ?
so we all know £5 is not alot but its helped pay for all our builds

[Edited on 2/11/06 by ch1ll1]

NS Dev - 2/11/06 at 11:35 AM

£5 is nothing, this site means a LOT!

Another site I frequent requires you to be a full club member before you can access the interesting bits, you pay £25 a year to join the club and you get 4 thin magazines a year for the privelige plus a website, which is nowhere near as good as this one.

I think we all trust that Chris is doing an excellent job, and likewise, I feel that if he needs to put a donation request up, its for good reason so I will donate.

martyn_16v - 2/11/06 at 12:01 PM

FWIW I run http://www.clubgti.com, and I know that it does take a lot of time (and funds) just to keep things ticking over. We pay in the region of 100 quid a month just for hosting, and that's not bad as we just renegotiated with our host for a new dedicated server. While data transfer and storage space is cheap as chips these days, it's the database usage that's the killer. Once you start getting more than a few dozen users on a forum at once the cheap shared hosting just doesn't cut it, if you're lucky the forum will just grind to a halt (along with everyone else's site on the server), if not the host will stop your database access for you.

A fiver is nothing, as soon as I get my internet access back so I can be here more than once a fortnight I shall be happily paying out

splitrivet - 2/11/06 at 12:16 PM

Ya tight fisted git Andy, I wouldnt mind but your the richest bloke on here .

I donated yonks ago but never got made to be contributor for some reason but the pop ups arent that bad.In saying that I dont use the site as much as others. It seems like some posters need advice on how to go to the bog.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 2/11/06 by splitrivet]

MikeRJ - 2/11/06 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
£5 is nothing, this site means a LOT!

Absolutely, in terms of value for money it's outstanding. Unless you are on the breadline than a fiver really isn't a lot to ask.

JoelP - 2/11/06 at 12:36 PM

one more point to make, through this site i met one chap through whom i found a new fitting contract, must've had about 4.5k of work out of it, and another chap i again met on here, i work for him sometimes on a good day rate, it actually counts as money for nothing as i use him to fill gaps between other jobs.

And thats without even going into the car related info!

quote:
Originally posted by marc n
just my 2p worth

you only donated 2p?!

[Edited on 2/11/06 by JoelP]

greggors84 - 2/11/06 at 12:44 PM

Dont you run a web hosting business Andy? Sorry if im wrong.

Surely you must understand that it cost Chris money to keep this going.

In the past ive paid £10 - £20 a year for different owners club forums, and none were as active as LocostBuilders, nore did any provide as much information.

Peteff - 2/11/06 at 01:37 PM

Bye.

edit:- I've contributed but I don't want my name changing, I'll live with the nag screen thanks.

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Peteff]

marc n - 2/11/06 at 01:40 PM

quote:

you only donated 2p?!

still got some calipers here with your name on them joel

darrenga - 2/11/06 at 03:33 PM

wouldnt be so bad if the messages would stop i contributed over 2 weeks ago now and am still getting the pop ups,i have email chris w to no avail

splitrivet - 2/11/06 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Bye.

edit:- I've contributed but I don't my name changing, I'll live with the nag screen thanks.

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Peteff]

I dont think an old jumper, a bag of balloons and a handfull of clothes pegs counts Pete.
Cheers,
Bob

Peteff - 2/11/06 at 04:16 PM

I decided to keep the jumper as it's getting cold now, they weren't balloons BTW, but only two of them were used

JoelP - 2/11/06 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marc n

still got some calipers here with your name on them joel

thats nice to know! I thought id left it so long that i would've been forgotten. I tried ringing on sunday but didnt get through, didnt want to leave a message incase i confused people! I'll be working all weekend, so maybe an evening sometime? Cheers!

ch1ll1 - 2/11/06 at 07:33 PM

that's it, now Chrisw has gone and done it !
shes ( swmbo ) has only gone and joined and donated ! just to get rid of the pay-pal page !
nothing is secret anymore !

[Edited on 2/11/06 by ch1ll1]

marc laptop - 2/11/06 at 07:37 PM

yep no worries, you could even pick them up from my house ( south side of harrogate ) if its easier or can send them to you just let me know which is best via email

best regards

marc

ch1ll1 - 2/11/06 at 08:33 PM

thought that was a secret