Board logo

waxoyl
adam1985 - 13/8/08 at 07:14 AM

hi all was thinking about waxoyling my car this weekend its only a couple of month old so might aswell is this the best stuff to use and how do you use it just clean the bottom of the car and paint on and which is better they do a black and clear one

adithorp - 13/8/08 at 07:28 AM

In my opinion its still the best. Lots of cheaper copies out there. Get the spray kit they do for it as that makes a better job than a brush. I prefer the clear.

Do a search on here though for how NOT to do it (if you find the post I'm thinking of then it'll be a week before you stop laughing).

adrian

panichat - 13/8/08 at 07:29 AM

I treated a fiat x1/9 (the rustiest cars on the planet!) with waxoyl 5 years ago and have been pleased with the results.
I'm not sure if they do a paint on one, but they do sell a brushable underseal which contains waxoyl in Halfords.
Most people use ordinary waxoyl as a cavity spray using aerosol cans (expensive) or using a pump spray (not so expensive for large quantities).
The idea is that you find holes into cavities (or drill them if there are none), warm up the drum of waxoyl in hot water to make it runny then attach the pump, build up pressure then squirt into the holes. Plug the holes with plastic plugs. It is one of the messiest jobs I have ever done (but quite rewarding).
I had some left at the end so I sprayed the underside of the car. Years later the car looks grotty from the top, but beautiful underneath!
WARNING: it is very tricky to weld around areas that have been waxoyl treated.
Hope this is helpful
Dave

Bluemoon - 13/8/08 at 08:13 AM

Not sure which car you are doing, but you may find it has already been waxed if it's a production car.. You might only need to do a few bits..

Dan

esn163 - 13/8/08 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Do a search on here though for how NOT to do it (if you find the post I'm thinking of then it'll be a week before you stop laughing).

adrian

Hi, i think this is the thread your thinking of. Just thinking of having a go at waxoyling my mini.

Ed

[Edited on 13/8/08 by esn163]

Howlor - 13/8/08 at 08:51 AM

What car is it you are doing? Your kit or tintop?

jimgiblett - 13/8/08 at 09:22 AM

I have been told that Dinitrol wax is a good alternative Waxoyl.

But I am open to recomendations for my 1967 Alfa which is going for treatment in the next month.

- Jim

nick205 - 13/8/08 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by esn163
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

adrian

Hi, i think this is the thread your thinking of. Just thinking of having a go at waxoyling my mini.

Ed

[Edited on 13/8/08 by esn163]

That's most definitely the one and on re-reading it it seems even more amusing

adithorp - 13/8/08 at 11:06 AM

Thats the one. I don't have to read it...it sets me off just thinking about it.

If you are going to use the spray then wear a set of disposable overalls with a hood. Otherwise the waxoyl gets on you and then when you get in the shower you have duck like properties and the water just bounces off.

adrian

adam1985 - 13/8/08 at 12:52 PM

ha ha thats funny yeah its on my tin top honda civic

MikeRJ - 13/8/08 at 01:32 PM

Waxoyl is good stuff, but Dinitrol came top of Practical Classic tests a few years back.

Interestingly, waxes are not the best rust prevention treatments according to the following:

http://www.saabenthusiasts.co.uk/current-Issue/CavityWax.htm

carpmart - 13/8/08 at 01:34 PM

I have just read the link post in this thread and its one of the funniest things I have ever read!