Board logo

Check your diff oil level
roadrunner - 24/10/09 at 08:01 AM

After talking about suspension set up yesterday i went to see a freind i havent seen in a while. anyway on the way home i noticed a groing extra growl coming from the car , i didnt know at the time weather it was engine , prop or diff related . I got 3 miles from home then the growl tunred into what sounds like a bag of spanners shaking about. I managed to crawl home hoping that my prop had come loose but no it was fine but i did notice oil under where the half shaft exits the diff. pushed car into garage and jacked her up and spun one wheel it did turn the prop but i could turn the other wheel in any diestion i wanted and no it isnt a LSD. so now the car is off the road until next summer and i need a new 7" diff. can you get 7" LSD diffs.
Brad.

afj - 24/10/09 at 08:14 AM

well at least you broke it at the right time of year

roadrunner - 24/10/09 at 08:26 AM

cheers

rusty nuts - 24/10/09 at 09:06 AM

There was a nice post recently on rebuilding Sierra diffs! Hope you get it sorted

02GF74 - 24/10/09 at 09:38 AM

lucky it didn't seize at 70 mph like what happened to someone on here recently!!

coozer - 24/10/09 at 09:43 AM

Yep, I was behind when the diff seized throwing the car into a snaking, rapid, tyre smoking halt.. scary indeed.

Was out in mine yesterday for the first time since I installed my new diff and went into a doughnut frenzy to see it it was going to go or not... thankfully its holding on..

Kris's diff gave way after only 4~5 miles driving with no oil and the damage is a totally seized front bearing, crown wheel gears are a nice blue colour as well...

Hellfire - 24/10/09 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
...........so now the car is off the road until next summer and i need a new 7" diff. can you get 7" LSD diffs.
Brad.

Why off the road till next summer? It's only a diff. They're quite easy to change and relatively easy to source.

The XR4x4 has a 7" 3.62:1 LSD as standard.

Phil

scotlad - 24/10/09 at 11:13 AM

Lsd diffs usually have bolt on shafts which makes it slightly more awkward if you're on push-ins. I've got a spare 7'' lsd diff you could have but no shafts to go with i'm afraid, though i'm sure you could buy bolt on cv joints and do a conversion.....

[Edited on 24/10/09 by scotlad]

roadrunner - 24/10/09 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
lucky it didn't seize at 70 mph like what happened to someone on here recently!!

That did cross my mind thats why the last few miles home was at a crawl.

roadrunner - 24/10/09 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
...........so now the car is off the road until next summer and i need a new 7" diff. can you get 7" LSD diffs.
Brad.

Why off the road till next summer? It's only a diff. They're quite easy to change and relatively easy to source.

The XR4x4 has a 7" 3.62:1 LSD as standard.

Phil

Its normally off the road through the winter Phil but i was hoping to get one last good run out next week.

roadrunner - 24/10/09 at 01:42 PM

I'm confused now, i thought all 7" diffs where push-in type and 7,1/2" bolt on.

blakep82 - 24/10/09 at 04:37 PM

friend of mine did something similar with her engine yesterday

thing is, the light only came on for a few seconds, then went back out.

[Edited on 24/10/09 by blakep82]

turbodisplay - 24/10/09 at 05:04 PM

If i remember correctly the rulel is disc brakes at the rear, the dif is the non push type.

Darren