Board logo

Honda blackbird engines
madrallysport - 28/10/09 at 08:49 PM

Who on here is using a honda black bird engine, i need to ask them a few questions about them please.

R1minimagic - 28/10/09 at 08:56 PM

Ask Minicooper mate.

PAUL FISHER - 28/10/09 at 09:11 PM

Ask Jon Ison,he knows his blackbird engines.

INDY BIRD - 28/10/09 at 09:31 PM

Hi ask away

the hint is in my user name

cheers

antonio - 28/10/09 at 09:48 PM

i do!

tomblyth - 28/10/09 at 09:58 PM

s3woh on here has one in his tiger as well

BenB - 28/10/09 at 10:04 PM

My bro does. Brommers is his login.

pif - 29/10/09 at 12:02 AM

me...me...me...me...

Mike S - 29/10/09 at 08:20 AM

There are loads of us.

What are the questions?

If you post them up we can try and help.

Telepathy not working too well today

Mike

madrallysport - 29/10/09 at 08:47 AM

cheers guys, my first question -

I've read about them suffering from oil starvation, is a humble baffle plate emough or do you have to dry sump them etc

I've also bought an engine less the ecu / wiring harness is there an after market ecu i can use, or will be safer getting my hands on the orginal honda stuff.

INDY BIRD - 29/10/09 at 09:29 AM

Hi

i ran my bird with a baffle plate and accusump and had no probs,

my new bird engine i have removed the balancer shaft which increases oil flow where they normally share it, this improves oil pressure also,
i have gone dry sump also on the engine but
if you are just on the road no probs jusyt running the engine as is but on track 10% overfill on oil + baffle plate a minimuim,

with poss accusump,

is the engine carb or injection??? for the ecu etc,

i would stick with the original honda if it was me,

opinions will follow for sure

thanks

pif - 29/10/09 at 09:34 AM

I'll go first.

Can only give an opinion on my experience. I only have a baffle plate on my shortened sump. I overfill the oil by about 500ml as i have lengthened the oil cooler pipes by about a metre. will regret saying this one day but have never had a problem in 5 years and when it is on the road i drive it has hard asit will go. Do sometimes have a desire to ease the the revs in long long corners but rareley comply. My view is that the car is a thing to be used and everything on it will break one day.

in terms of ecu, dont have much to offer other than they are relativley easy to find secondhand. Only ever used a blackbird one for mine. try blackbird spares or cheshire bike salvage.

scootz - 29/10/09 at 12:52 PM

Shameless plug...

I have a dry-sumped Bird engine for sale with ECU, PCIII, etc!

madrallysport - 29/10/09 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Shameless plug...

Too Dear for me,

Cheers guys, next question, how does the accusump system work, i've used dry sumps before.

The car is going to be used for competition use only, hill climbs, sprints and prob the odd track day

scootz - 29/10/09 at 01:43 PM

LOL! That'll be me blown clean out of the water then!

In case anyone else is following the thread and looking for an impressive bit of kit at a fraction of the build cost - it's down to £1250 ( ).

... shameless plug ends!

franky - 29/10/09 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madrallysport
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Shameless plug...

Too Dear for me,

Cheers guys, next question, how does the accusump system work, i've used dry sumps before.

The car is going to be used for competition use only, hill climbs, sprints and prob the odd track day

When there's a drop of oil pressure due to surge when cornering for example it 'pumps' oil into the engine till the pressure is correct.... they also pre-oil the engine too. The first radical race cars had a standard sump with a accusump system with no problems.

ritchunt - 1/11/09 at 09:30 PM

i race a blackbird powerd autocross buggy and touch wood i havnt had any problems at all from oil starvation or anything like that and i havnt got a baffled sump and to be honest it will get more abuse and chucked about with what im doing than road or track use, there are a couple of other lads i race with also have them and as far as i know havnt got baffles either

mcBontempi - 16/11/09 at 02:06 PM

this is all very encouraging, im gonna fit an accusump, but maybe ill wait a while now until i do a trackday.

DaxRushMLA - 3/6/18 at 04:19 PM

For any viewers I blew a bearing on my dax 2 months ago going whilst giving it full throttle up a hill with sharp turns here in Malta.
As a safety precaution I would definelty go for a baffle plate and accu-sump. - thats what Im doing as it had plenty of space for the oil to splash.
Ive also increased the capacity of the oil sump by a Litre (where the exhaust passes from when fitted on a bike) yet still keeping the oil
restricted from movement.

Mike Wood - 26/9/21 at 09:07 AM

These days if buying a Honda Blackbird engine for a new car build, rather than an upgrade, how does anyone prove its age for IVA unless they are pulling it out of a bike with a current logbook? Or is there someone in Honda UK you can write to with the engine number who can verify its build year?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 26/9/21 by Mike Wood]