Board logo

Polo Rad - how good are they?
ss1turbo - 10/9/11 at 12:54 PM

I've noticed that nearly everyone uses a Polo radiator (I'm sure a quick search will show the exact one, but its not from the largest engined variety from memory), yet as soon as piping and airlock issues get sorted, most people seem to have no issues with marginal/undercooling - or do they?

Would one cope with a 200bhp+ 3 litre engine? Or am I just being silly?

big_wasa - 10/9/11 at 01:04 PM

plenty of cooling on my 150bhp zetec.

They are common as they are about the biggest (to fit a 7) of the shelf moden budget rad you will find.

[Edited on 10/9/11 by big_wasa]

carlknight1982 - 10/9/11 at 01:32 PM

I'd add an oil cooler on an engine that size to aide cooling

andylancaster3000 - 10/9/11 at 01:34 PM

+190bhp Duratec with a polo rad and it seems to be adequate even for circuit use in +25C conditions. In fact it seems to over cool if the air temp is low.

Just make sure all the that you ant to go through the rad does so by a close fitting shroud on the front of the rad and ensure the hot air can escape the engine bay. If both are done I think it would work.

Edit: we are also using an oil cooler.

[Edited on 10/9/11 by andylancaster3000]

ss1turbo - 10/9/11 at 01:56 PM

I'll also be using an oil cooler, so thats handy!

Its not going into a Locost/7, but will check the dimensions against the original one that came out and see which flavour I can get away with, space wise. Looks like it might be the wider of the two and naturally will duct it sufficiently. Having a stock M22 switch hole helps as well...

matt_gsxr - 10/9/11 at 02:17 PM

I think the good thing about our cars is that when we are putting out high power we also have high air flow (no towing uphill behind trucks).

Also the exit flow in modern tin-tops is often poor, whereas we generally can engineer nice flow.

So I guess that is why the humble Polo radiator seems to do the job.

RazMan - 10/9/11 at 03:34 PM

My Polo rad keeps my V6 nice and cool - almost too cold in winter !

ss1turbo - 10/9/11 at 04:58 PM

Just got the measurements that I need to keep to and it looks like I might just be unlucky with the VW2038 rad

I might be able to get a few mm here and there, but looks like the hole to fit it in is about 455mm wide and 415mm high...any suggestions? And before anyone suggests making the hole wider, its a pair of 4"x3" chassis rails....

[Edited on 10/9/11 by ss1turbo]

RazMan - 11/9/11 at 08:38 AM

Can you angle the rad at at all? This actually increases the efficiency too

ss1turbo - 11/9/11 at 08:58 AM

Possibly - I assume you mean leaning down rather than side to side?

RazMan - 11/9/11 at 09:26 AM

About 20 degrees (forward or back) is apparently the most effective angle IIRC. I suppose you could do a side angle if pushed - a lot of oil coolers seem to work ok like that.