Board logo

Simple alternator tensioner
i_froloshki - 11/3/12 at 12:51 PM

Hi all,

i wanted to show you the bracket i made for my silver top. The problem was that i did not have any space to make the usual one and the alternator (nissan micra) had a 180 degrees tension point. So i came up with this solution.

It is absolutely easy to make (still a bit ugly cause it is not grinded and painted) and 100% effective (for now)

If anybody need more pictures - let me know.

regards

Yavor

tomgregory2000 - 11/3/12 at 12:57 PM

i would fit a nut onto the bolt as a locking nut against the welded ones otherwise vibration will rattle free the bolt and your tension will be lost

Andybarbet - 11/3/12 at 12:58 PM

Great idea, no more leaning on a crow bar trying to do up a nut with the other hand

When i make mine i may have to 'borrow' your idea

designer - 11/3/12 at 03:02 PM

Yes, a lock nut is required.

MikeR - 11/3/12 at 03:28 PM

As well as the lock nut i'd be tempted to weld a large washer or something on the head of the bolt - something to spread the load over a larger area. The alternator aluminium will work harden, the larger the area the longer it will take before fatigue sets in and something breaks.

Ben_Copeland - 11/3/12 at 03:32 PM

I personally think thats a bad idea, as Mike says it'll put force on the alternator, cracking the case after a while.

avagolen - 11/3/12 at 04:57 PM

Hi Yavor,

I have attached a picture of my alternator tension - on a silvertop zetec.

It is similar to what you require as my alternator also had mountings at
180 degs.

This picture shows a nut as a temporary spacer.

Len.

Alternator_tensioner
Alternator_tensioner

Hope it helps.

i_froloshki - 11/3/12 at 06:44 PM

I have te nut, this was the trial fit. Onthe other hand the head fo the bolt contacts the alternator in the middle between the aluminum cases on the steel middle part of it and i think it will hold, only the time will show. I looked at the last picture and it is very nice, but i do not have the space because my throttle bodu is in this place
Thank you all for the ideas)

Regards

Yavor