Board logo

First install of twin 40s
Apollo1600 - 5/9/12 at 07:44 PM

Hi there,
Bolted the twin 40s on my modified 1600 pinto for the it time tody. The car started fine but was inning very rough lots of spitting back through the carbs and the engine was shaking quite a bit. Is there a wayno balance the carbs when the carbs are off the engine?
Cheers

britishtrident - 5/9/12 at 07:56 PM

No but it is dead easy to balance with nothing more than a rubber tub used as a stethoscope ---- must be held in the same relative position to the mouth of each bell-mouth.

mark chandler - 5/9/12 at 08:02 PM

Also you do not bolt up tightly or the fuel froths in the carbs, you tighten against the rubber O rings until the thackery washers are closed, not until you can tighten no more.

Regards Mark

mookaloid - 5/9/12 at 08:21 PM

The timing could be off too - have a play with the dizzy to see if the idle improves

splitrivet - 5/9/12 at 10:13 PM

Are you using low pressure fuel pump or have you got a pressure reducer.
Cheers,
Bob

Apollo1600 - 5/9/12 at 10:25 PM

Hi there,
Thanks for the advice im using the standard pinto pump.
Cheers

deezee - 6/9/12 at 09:34 AM

Have you set the idle mixture properly? Are you tuning with an AFR, or guessing? What engine are the carburettors tuned for?

Apollo1600 - 6/9/12 at 09:51 AM

Its a 95bhp modified 1600. I got the jet sizes from dave andrews page. I set the mixture screws 1 and a quarter turns out and had a bit of a play. I think it could be timing all though the timing was fine with the 32/36 I guess it changes from carb to carb.

v8james - 6/9/12 at 10:46 AM

Standard pinto fuel pump will flood the carbs, did with mine anyway.
I had to fit a pressure reducer.

coozer - 6/9/12 at 11:31 AM

Get some bikes carbs.. saves all the agro over the years.

caber - 6/9/12 at 04:03 PM

I have the same set up and am having huge problems finding someone who can jet them properly. I have an electric pump and pressure reducer, I also have a spare pressure reducer that I would be happy to sell you if you want!

Please let me know how you get on and what jetting and venturis you end up with. I will let you knoe=w wnat I have onec i find the bit of paper where it is written!

Caber