Board logo

2L Zetec peeks at about 85mph.
Black Cat - 12/8/13 at 01:07 PM

I have a 2L Zetec fitted with twin 45 Webbers in my Tiger Avon which I had set up at a local garage but when I put my toe down, at about 85mph it doesn’t seem to want to go any faster than 85mph, I have a fuel filter fitted near the fuel tank which I have only recently fitted and before I fitted this it was quite capable of doing well over a ton.

Could it be fuel starvation or is there another cause?

Regards

Steve

loggyboy - 12/8/13 at 01:09 PM

Take the filter out and see if works again?

bi22le - 12/8/13 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Black Cat
I have a 2L Zetec fitted with twin 45 Webbers in my Tiger Avon which I had set up at a local garage but when I put my toe down, at about 85mph it doesn’t seem to want to go any faster than 85mph, I have a fuel filter fitted near the fuel tank which I have only recently fitted and before I fitted this it was quite capable of doing well over a ton.

Could it be fuel starvation or is there another cause?

Regards

Steve

Sounds like you already know the answer to this one.

A few years back I made up an air filter system for my car. It looked well trick. I did a track day and theing did not want to pull past about 6k. I took the whole lot back off and rund with no filters. The thing was mental! Did a propper pipercross sausage set up as soon as I got home.

nick205 - 12/8/13 at 02:43 PM

What type and size filter did you fit?

Carbs like that will be liking a lots of fuel at low pressure.

[Edited on 12/8/13 by nick205]

perksy - 12/8/13 at 05:14 PM

What filter did you fit and did you fit it the right way around ? (Sorry don't mean to cause offence but have seen it done)

Are you using a fuel pressure regulator ? and what pressure is it set to if hopefully you are ?

Black Cat - 12/8/13 at 08:01 PM

Hi Gents,

The type of filter I used is the clear nylon fuel filter, which I believe gives a max of 10 psi pressure. No fuel pressure regulator is being used.

Think I fitted it the right way round but perhaps I need to re-check but then again if it was fitted the wrong way round would the fuel still go through?

Paul Turner - 13/8/13 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Black Cat
The type of filter I used is the clear nylon fuel filter, which I believe gives a max of 10 psi pressure. No fuel pressure regulator is being used.

You must use a regulator with Webers. Most pumps supply at approx. 6 psi and the needle valve in a weber can only cope with 3 psi approx. This will not be causing your problem but once the filter issue is sorted get a regulator fitted and take it to a rolling road to get it set up.

Black Cat - 13/8/13 at 07:11 PM

Thanks Paul,

ianm67 - 16/8/13 at 07:24 PM

Probably a stupid question but you are getting WOT...?