Board logo

Crossflow experts...
HPDxxx - 19/9/13 at 03:33 PM

Hello guys
some days ago i have received a beautiful Westfield SE with crossflow 711M engine (bored for 1700cc) with webber 40 carburators.
it need a lot of work for come back in good condition, so i'm here for take some prompt from you, expert of this engine.

the first argoment is engine cooling.
there is a very old radiator with heavy fan.. it all rust and i think lost water.
i want to change with alu polo radiator (like of my megabusa) with SPAL plastic fan + revotec electronic fan controller.
do you know rubber pipe where come from?
will be enough to cool the engine?

thanks
cheers from italy!

britishtrident - 19/9/13 at 03:40 PM

That is the original Ford radiator.

You don't need anything fancy just a standard Polo rad, the fan switch just screws in to the M22 threaded socket on the rad.
The engine temperature should be controlled by the thermostat, the fan switch looks after the rad temp --- job done.

[Edited on 19/9/13 by britishtrident]

kj - 19/9/13 at 04:10 PM

I have a 1700 x flow with twin 40s and polo rad, no problems.

HPDxxx - 20/9/13 at 07:20 AM

thankyou for your feedback!

quote:
Originally posted by kj
I have a 1700 x flow with twin 40s and polo rad, no problems.

do you know bore & stroke for 1700 crossflow?
on the web i have found only 1600cc... i know it isn't standard.
thanks

if you have other suggestions for this car/engine plese writeeee

[Edited on 20/9/13 by HPDxxx]

MikeRJ - 20/9/13 at 09:27 AM

A 1700 crossflow is made by re-boring the cylinders to the maximum size of 0.090" (90 thousandths of an inch) and using +90 pistons. This takes capacity up to 1696 cc.

HPDxxx - 20/9/13 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
A 1700 crossflow is made by re-boring the cylinders to the maximum size of 0.090" (90 thousandths of an inch) and using +90 pistons. This takes capacity up to 1696 cc.

thanks!
from this page:
http://my.voyager.net/~quadrant19/xflow-zetec.html

for 1700cc - 83,3mm bore X 77,6 stroke

HPDxxx - 25/9/13 at 01:12 PM

is there some one produce or sell new oil pan for this engine?
mine isn't in good condition and i want to replace.

thanks

britishtrident - 25/9/13 at 05:23 PM

Ebay search on "xflo sump" --- some decent ones on there be aware there are two types the most common (later) type has the the well at the rear.

[Edited on 25/9/13 by britishtrident]

redturner - 26/9/13 at 08:15 AM

I run a small business producing dry sump pans for Ford x-flow and Pinto and purchase used sumps from Ebay to use as cores. There are usually pans to buy but you will not find a new one only second hand. The only new sump that I have ever bought is a brand spanking new Pre x-flow sump, even has the labels still stuck on. There are front bowl and rear bowl. If I can help with a second hand sump please let me know. I usually cut the bowl off and scrap it because I only need the flange. If it is of any interest, I have a used sump (ex twin cam) with doors in it.

HPDxxx - 26/9/13 at 09:26 AM

thanks for your help!

short block is 711M i think is the last one.. right?

this is actual pan.. i'll take a better photo if need to understard the model..

@ redturner
if you have a good pan for me, plese give me PM with price and photo

redturner - 26/9/13 at 10:41 AM

Goodness, I throw away better sumps than that. Is the welding to reinforce it or just to hold it all together. I will go to workshop when I have a few minutes to spare and see what we have.....

CNHSS1 - 26/9/13 at 10:46 AM

Redturner

bumped into Fireblade at shelsley on Saturday and he was singing your engineering praises :-)

redturner - 26/9/13 at 10:59 AM

Hi buddy and how are you. I try my best. Been sometime since I saw Al, though we speak quite regularly. You know, as Al does my feelings about SW, a great hill will terrible facilities, but I just keep reminding that they should put a match to those sheds. So many people trying to rip the little guys off that I had to do something in my own small way. It is a none profit making business, though it wasn't intended that way, lol.....

CNHSS1 - 26/9/13 at 11:35 AM

I have bumps and bruises on my head from those sheds! I reckon I need to keep my skidlid on in the paddock too.

Craig

HPDxxx - 26/9/13 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by redturner
Goodness, I throw away better sumps than that. Is the welding to reinforce it or just to hold it all together. I will go to workshop when I have a few minutes to spare and see what we have.....

i don't know... i think was damaged and was reinforced (try!) badly..
so.. i need a new one

redturner - 26/9/13 at 01:06 PM

I cannot open your U2U...HPDxxx

[Edited on 26/9/13 by redturner]

HPDxxx - 26/9/13 at 01:43 PM

quote:
I cannot open your U2U...HPDxxx

mail sent

HPDxxx - 3/10/13 at 10:10 AM

i want a new brake master cylinder... but it's hard to find Girling 625 with horizontal bolts.

are this M16 calipers?
i need to order revision kit.

and the last question.
i need 4 filters for weber 40 carburators.. there isn't space for classic foam filter.. so i want to utilize this kind:
on ebay i have found only metallic one.. are good?

redturner - 3/10/13 at 11:28 AM

Dont use that kind of filter, they steal a lot of power, use the sock type.......As form the master cylinder, I have to confess that I cannot remember the last time I saw one, or what it was on. Easy enough to make an adapter plate out of 1/4" Dural.....

HPDxxx - 3/10/13 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Dont use that kind of filter, they steal a lot of power, use the sock type.......

like this?

i have checked if it's possible to raise engine, but it isn't possible because now i haven't space between valve cover and hood.
other solution are new intake headers but are too expensive.

quote:
As form the master cylinder, I have to confess that I cannot remember the last time I saw one, or what it was on. Easy enough to make an adapter plate out of 1/4" Dural.....

i'll follow this solution..

redturner - 3/10/13 at 12:44 PM

Yes, that's the type, as for manifold, have you thought about cut and shut the one you have to give a different height or remove the Weber and fit bike carbs,.....

HPDxxx - 3/10/13 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Yes, that's the type, as for manifold, have you thought about cut and shut the one you have to give a different height or remove the Weber and fit bike carbs,.....

change carbs is too expensive for this project.. there are alot of other mods in progress.. like RHD to LHD conversion.. i have to contain the cost.

redturner - 3/10/13 at 01:22 PM

So can you modify the current manifold.....

vetbiker - 14/11/13 at 05:20 PM

Do you have an oil pan already? I have one at home, which is in Austria!

HPDxxx - 15/11/13 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vetbiker
Do you have an oil pan already? I have one at home, which is in Austria!

yes.. i have bought newone from redturner thanks!