Board logo

Zetec DCOE choice
Charles - 5/2/15 at 03:01 PM

Had a quick search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have a Zetec 1800 Silver Top waiting to go in a car.
What would be better twin DCOE 40s or 45s?

The car is not going on the road, it will be purely sprint, hill climbs and test days.
Engine is vanilla at the moment but won't stay that way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Turner - 5/2/15 at 03:10 PM

Regardless of what some will say 36mm chokes are adequate up to about 180bhp. You can get 36mm chokes for either 40's or 45's. $0's are easier to set up, no progression issues.

But injection will be far better and you will have the ability to upgrade your motor without any restrictions.

Basically if you have carbs use them. If you are buying fit injection.

Ugg10 - 5/2/15 at 03:54 PM

If you have to go carbs then I'd go bike carbs rather than webers/dellortas. But as has already been said - injection is by far the best way forward and not significantly more expensive if you are going down the weber/dellorta route.

For bike carbs, have a look at Chester Sportscars, I had a vanilla 2.0l silvertop plus one of their magajolt/ZX6 kits (now they use nodiz), bolted it on, connected up the half a dozen wires (+/-, tps, crank and temp), added fuel (need low pressure pump and regulator) - two turns of the key and off I went, simple as !

[Edited on 5/2/15 by Ugg10]

[Edited on 5/2/15 by Ugg10]

ianm67 - 5/2/15 at 07:03 PM

There's a set of 45's on eBay at the moment complete with 1800 Zetec manifold and sausage filter jetted and ready to go....... £400 ATM. NTDWM by the way

coozer - 5/2/15 at 07:11 PM

Bike carbs for me, cheaper than dcoes and easier to setup. Good for over 200bhp with some cams.

FASTdan - 5/2/15 at 07:37 PM

Drop me a message or email if you decide to go the bike carb route

Charles - 6/2/15 at 01:14 PM

Cheers for the replies guys, it's going on a single seat race car, and I'm really hoping to keep it as original looking as possible, hence why I'm sticking with DCOEs. The chassis isn't competitive so I'm not too worried about performance.

Cheers Ian, was looking at that setup, I'll see if he can post although they're not too far away!

BaileyPerformance - 6/2/15 at 08:03 PM

I can vouch for Dan's zetec bike carb conversion kit, just set one up on our dyno for a customer, stock blacktop zetec running CBR600 carbs and manifold with nodiz all supplied by Dan. The engine made 175.7bhp which is the best I've seen on a carb fed stock 2.0 zetec.

www.baileyperformance.co.uk
www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

[Edited on 6/2/15 by BaileyPerformance]