Board logo

Range Rover V8
greggors84 - 30/11/04 at 07:33 PM

I know someone with a series 1 3 door range rover with a 3.5l RV8 that he wants rid of. The car failed its MOT a year ago, and needs the sills welding so shouldnt be a big job.

I'm guessing the RR engines are detuned for more torque, what is needed to get more power out of them, is it just the cams or are the internals different?

Would like to restore it, but if i cant be bothered in the end just wondering how much i would get for the engine, its only done around 25,000 miles (paperwork to prove it).

Any ideas?

blueshift - 30/11/04 at 07:54 PM

if I remember correctly, they're lower compression ratio. I can't remember if that's from different pistons, conrods, crank, heads or all of the above. Not really what you want for a sportscar, as the "sportier" tuned ones have buckets of torque anyway.

Simon - 30/11/04 at 08:13 PM

Yeah, they're lower compression 8.15 as oppossed to 9.35 SD1 / 9.75 Vitesse.

Done by pistons.

HTH

ATB

Simon

mackie - 30/11/04 at 08:33 PM

I think it's less that they are tuned for torque and more that they are designed to run on 3rd world petrol afaik.

Metal Hippy - 30/11/04 at 09:12 PM

Prime for a couple of nice turbos...

greggors84 - 30/11/04 at 11:23 PM

Looks like i will try and restore the range rover then, then maybe stick a couple of turbos on it!

jollygreengiant - 1/12/04 at 09:54 PM

Interesting that the sills failed the MOT & need welding. Reason is that the Range Rover has a seperate chassis and thereby the sills are Non Structural and thereby not testable. the only reason that you can test & fail for would be that they are corroded & holed within 30cm of a seat mounting (only if a seat belt mounting is fitted to the seat) or a seat belt mounting. After that it would have to be a body mounting & then you get into the territory of; is it so severly corroded that it would cause the driver to loose control or injure somebody passing the vehicle. Don't get confused between chassis and sill!

Hope this helps.

Enjoy. 53 days & counting.

Danozeman - 2/12/04 at 09:02 PM

That engine would still whip up fairly in a kit car mate. Id gut it and put it in me kit anyway..

lugo35 - 3/12/04 at 07:29 PM

my v8 came from a rangie 160-170 brake should be fun. they well easy to work on